Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I have the 2013 iMac with 780M, and right now I m tempted about buying the new 5K iMac, but I m not very confident about the GPU for that crazy screen (when your softwares also need graphics power).

I work with 3D and that itself consumes GPU power, and sometimes I multitask btw applications like Zbrush, Photoshop, Unity and Maya. Right now my iMac does what I want and it gives me a smooth and quiet experience.

Anyone here use the new iMac for those things? Can you share the experience? I m about to buy it or just wait for the next update.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
You, as do I, have a high end machine still being sold by Apple. Why would you want to switch to a first-gen riMac anyway? You've already said your current machine is getting the job done for you.

I made the mistake of buying the first retina iPad (3rd gen) instead of waiting for the next release which had a much more capable processor for driving the graphics. I still regret that. I'm not saying that's the same situation with the 1st gen riMac but we all know they're not going to decrease in performance and features. :p

If you were buying your first iMac or were looking to replace an older machine it might be a tougher decision. I just don't get the urgency to switch from a Late 2013.

For me, I generally look to upgrade about the time my Applecare runs out. :)

Magic Lantern

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
UK
I just took delivery of one to do the same as you, I use cinema 4d and Adobe CC - the screen is simply the best for visual work you could hope to have. I use the retina iMac to create the work and I render it with my older machines.

After a few days of playing with it I am very impressed, it runs smoothly, the open gl performance in c4d is great, all Adobe apps run excellently - haven't tried zbrush on it yet but I would predict it will run perfectly well!

The screen is unsurpassed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.