Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Feb 25, 2006, 09:16 PM   #1
DinoAdventure
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to DinoAdventure
Help Setting up Print Server

Today I bought a CompUsa print server (http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...070&pfp=SEARCH) to use with my Linksys WRT54G wireless router and HP Photosmart 7150 printer. I guess I should have read the reviews online before I bought it, because the documentation sucks. I can't figure out what the default IP address is, so I have no way to set it up or communicate with it. It does have the MAC address printed on it, but thats it. I tried printing to the IP of my wireless router but no go, so how can I find the IP of this thing?

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2006, 09:48 PM   #2
ChrisA
macrumors G4

There is a good chance that that default is to use DHCP to obtain an IP from the DHCP server in the router. If so then there might be a DCHP "status" page in the router that lists all the asigned IP address.

Also I bet the router only assigns IPs from within a small range and likey in numeric order. try an IP one greater than your computer.

I've been meaning to buy one of those wrt54g routers. They run Linux inside. It's about the smallest and cheapest Linux computer you can buy. You can actually build and run almost any software on it.

In the worst case you can get a copy of "ethereal" for Darwin. it's an ethernet "sniffer" and capture the packets from a given MAC address to a log file and read the IP out of the headers. ethereal will decode the network packets to human readable for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoAdventure
Today I bought a CompUsa print server (http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...070&pfp=SEARCH) to use with my Linksys WRT54G wireless router and HP Photosmart 7150 printer. I guess I should have read the reviews online before I bought it, because the documentation sucks. I can't figure out what the default IP address is, so I have no way to set it up or communicate with it. It does have the MAC address printed on it, but thats it. I tried printing to the IP of my wireless router but no go, so how can I find the IP of this thing?

Thanks
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 03:16 PM   #3
DinoAdventure
macrumors member

I can't seem to find a DHCP status page on the linksys set up thing. What is this darwin thing you speak of? I guess I'm off to google it...

Thanks for replying.

By the way, the WRT54G is a really nice router. It's super fast, definitely a lot of bang for your buck. Just stay away from cheap print servers
Old Feb 27, 2006, 03:54 PM   #4
matticus008
macrumors 68040

If you've still got the default software installed, you can look at your DHCP clients by clicking on Status, Local Network (both in the top navigation bars) and then "DHCP Clients Table." From there, you can see the print server will show up if it's getting an IP from the router.

Otherwise, it's hard-coded by default to have a certain IP. You'll need Ethereal to find it, like ChrisA said. One of the first things you'll probably want to do is change the IP of the print server to be in your subnet. There is a chance that it's not really on your network at all if it's trying to take the same IP as your router (which is why I always change my router's IP, so whenever I plug in a new peripheral, there can't be a conflict unless the manufacturer randomly guesses my IP range [I use 192.168.84.1xx for computers]).
matticus008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 04:25 PM   #5
manboobies
macrumors newbie

hi, i had the same troubles with a netgear router and print server. i set it up a while ago, but you can "lock" certain MAC addresses to ips.
So i told my router to always make my print server 193.198.9.2.

once that is done go to system prefs. printers and add an Ip printer.
put the address as 193.198.9.2. protocol as LPD. you have to get the CUPS drivers for your printer too.

hope this is clear Pm if you need more help
manboobies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:50 PM   #6
DinoAdventure
macrumors member

It doesn't show up on the DHCP clients table. Anyone know how I can lock its MAC address to a certain IP (like what manboobies said) in the linksys set up page (I am using the stock firmware)?

When I first got the router I set the IP to 192.168.1.6 so I would assume that the print server is not on the same IP. But I will try changing it and see what happens.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:46 PM   #7
matticus008
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoAdventure
It doesn't show up on the DHCP clients table. Anyone know how I can lock its MAC address to a certain IP (like what manboobies said) in the linksys set up page (I am using the stock firmware)?

When I first got the router I set the IP to 192.168.1.6 so I would assume that the print server is not on the same IP. But I will try changing it and see what happens.
If you've already changed your router IP, it's probably not worth it to change it again. Unfortunately, I don't think the Linksys firmware allows MAC to IP mapping, so you'll have to find the IP another way. Are you sure it's not in the documentation on the CD?
matticus008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2006, 09:47 PM   #8
manboobies
macrumors newbie

have a look at the tofu or thibor firmwares.
i think you can assign MAC id's to static Ips with either

http://www.polarcloud.com/tofu/

http://www.thibor.co.uk/

also have a look at http://www.dslreports.com/
manboobies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:22 PM   #9
PC vs. Mac
macrumors newbie

update on mac printing on linksys

Hey,

I found this old thread while trying to set up my mac to print on a linksys wireless print server and after much angst found the fix. I set up the print server using a PC, assigning static IP 192.168.1.3 (The last number doesn't matter as long as you remember it for setting up your computers)

setting up the mac I entered the static IP 192.168.1.3 and set the cue to usb1. The cue setup is very important (i set it to lpt1 and the printer freaked) selected the appropriate print drivers and life is now good. hope this helps future mac users!
PC vs. Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals