Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about buying myself an iMac 5K :apple:. I will mainly use the machine for 1080p video editing while using programs like After Effects and FCPX on a pretty professional scale. The reason I want the 5K version is because I'll probably upgrade to a 4K camera in the future.

I have been saving up money for almost 1,5 years. I know that because there are so many pixels the computer has to push there might be some issues when you you're editing. I do not have the money to max the iMac out all the way, but I do have the money to upgrade one part trough Apple. This brings me to the question:

'' Should I upgrade the graphics card or the processor? '' ( I will be upgrading the RAM myself later ).

I do not know which part is the best for me to upgrade.Upgrading one of them will costs 250 dollars and I do not want to spend more extra money than that. I know the graphics card is very important for video editing but in the reviews I read everyone keeps saying that you have to upgrade the processor for better performance.

Do you guys know which part is best for me to upgrade and what will make my video editing workflow even better?

Greets,
Maric :D

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I'd check in forums with people who actually use the editing software you use on similar projects. Performance at the high end depends on mesh between hardware and software.

I do a bunch of stuff with photos, and, for example, LR doesn't take advantage of much besides the processor (RAM of course, but you'll probably have plenty). PS uses multicores with certain filters; I can watch that happen. But the GPU isn't involved that much.

A 3D editor or 4k video editor, however, might have a completely different experience. So check the forums at Adobe and Apple and see how those folks are fairing with the new machines.

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
CPU by a long shot. video transcoding/processing/editing is where hyper threading SHINES. Howerver, don't take my word for it, just google "hyper threading vs no hyper threading" and read away...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.