Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I have inherited an MS Word table containing some hundreds of addresses. I want to use it on this MacBook Air (Yosemite) to create address-labels.

I have tried Neooffice, Pages, Numbers, Avery Design Pro, Labels & Addresses, &c. without success.

Can any kind soul tell me how this can be done without lavishing about £100 on MS Office for Mac ?

Thank you !

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Office 365 for a period of 1 month should be less than £100:
https://products.office.com/en-us/office-365-home
Mac: Office 2011 versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. OneNote for Mac is available as a separate download from the Mac App Store. Customers with an active subscription will be entitled to the newest versions when available. Mac OS X 10.6 or later required.

You didn't say which version of Word the original document is in, so Office 365 might still have problems with it.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I have tried that since posting my original message, but am getting an error-message that my disc does not permit MS Office 2011 to be saved to it. I gather that this is a common occurrence, judging by the number of appeals for help about it. But thank you for the suggestion.

Sorry, that is not quite what I did. I in fact tried the free download of MS Office, and it is that which has proved impossible. I shall try your suggestion.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
There are label programs, like SOHO's Labelist, that can work from a template and a source of tab or comma delimited data to generate labels.

So you could convert that MS table to that tab or CSV format with whatever word processor or text editor you use, and then design a label template with fields that match, like "first" "last" "city" etc. And you'd be in business.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I shall try that, but for the last half-hour I have been trying to persuade NeoOffice to create labels from my Excel Version of the original MS Word table. No luck.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I have found my way to a PC, and have managed with much grinding of teeth to print sheets of labels with MS Word Mail Merge,

However, I think that the future is NeoOffice (or possibly Avery DesignPro) plus Contacts.

When I try to test this on this MacBook, though, via NeoOffice, File/Wizards/Address Data Source, an error-message tells me that it cannot connect to Contacts and that I need to check the settings.

What am I doing wrong ?

GilesM

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2008
I would import them into my address book and print the address labels from there.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ What am I doing wrong ?]]

I'll try to help.

You said several times above that your data was in something called an "original MS Word table" -- whatever that is.

My recommendation:
You need to convert whatever you have now into a "tab-delimited" TEXT FILE.

This will have tabs "between the fields" and a carriage return at the end of each address.

Once you have your data in that format, it is "easily transportable" into other applications, such as label-making software, etc.

This is the VERY FIRST step you should take towards solving your problems.

Are you able to do this?

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I know HOW to do this, but whether I am at present able to do it on this MacBook Air is another matter. Would it suffice if I converted the table to CSV ?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You could try CSV, but you also should create a tab-delimited text file as well.

If one doesn't work, the other might.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
I have had no success with that, I am afraid. I have decided that I must face up to using Contacts. There is a BUT, though. The print used by Contacts is tiny. I can enlarge it for "telephone-number" by right-clicking, but this luxury is not extended to the other fields.

Are there any 3rd-party address-book applications compatible with Contacts that are an improvement ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.