Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluewomble88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
I upgraded my software when 8.1.1 was released but the Touch ID function to unlock my phone has been poor since then. Beforehand it worked perfectly but now it always fails about 40% of the time. I have deleted the stored fingerprints and put them back in and I've even stored my thumb 3 times. Nothing improves it.

Has anyone else seen a deterioration to the Touch ID since 8.1.1?

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I upgraded my software when 8.1.1 was released but the Touch ID function to unlock my phone has been poor since then. Beforehand it worked perfectly but now it always fails about 40% of the time. I have deleted the stored fingerprints and put them back in and I've even stored my thumb 3 times. Nothing improves it.

Is your phone Jailbroken?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

Most definitely, about the same percentage you are experiencing.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

My fail rate is between 10 and 15%. Very rarely have a problem.

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

I have a very similar experience although I'm not convinced it's a software issue. This exact same thing happened with my 5s where Touch ID worked perfectly for about 3 months and then eventually got to the point where I had to disable it because it failed so often.

I think it might have more to do with the build up of finger oils on the button making it harder to read your print, because cleaning it does seem to help some.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I would have your phone looked at. I probably run close to 95% with touchID working. I honestly cannot think of the last time it did not work.

Granted I never do physical labor, so my hands and fingers are soft as a babies butt lol.

polarpal99

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2014
I use an iPhone 6+ and have had intermittent issues with touch ID.

Things to check:
*Print data gone bad: delete and rescan
*Print data gone bad: restore from backup
*Prints not reading after trying the steps above: CHECK your case (if I try to use touch ID with the charger connected and charger connector flap open on my OtterBox case, nothing scans; unplug the charger and it works flawlessly)

Feel free to reply with any other suggestions you have that might be helpful. The case thing really threw me off, and I went as far as stripping the case and receiving it to fix the problem.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
If you've tried rescanning your prints more than a few times and your failure rate is that high, get it looked at. I stored one print since launch day, it works perfectly. I actually can't remember the last time it failed. I had plenty issues with my 5s for 2 months before I had it looked at. Apple replaced it and I wondered why I waited so long. Lol

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Touch ID since 8.1.1 on iphone 6

I have my iPhone 6 since 4 weeks and don't remember a single time that it wouldn't have worked. Works every time without any issues :)

Edit: btw my phone came with 8.1.1 (I believe) and I didn't updated to 8.1.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.