Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Yes, you read it right...

phantom.jpg

read more here http://www.lik.com/news/newsarticle57/

it does remind me of a pic a fellow forum user posted a while back, but I don't remember who.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm not sure how a photo could ever be worth that much. If I had that sort of money I'd rather go and experience it for myself. I could also take along my Phase One Camera and grab some snaps of my own!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'm not sure how a photo could ever be worth that much. If I had that sort of money I'd rather go and experience it for myself. I could also take along my Phase One Camera and grab some snaps of my own!

I applaud your desire to do your own snaps. I think that image looks like a Weston knock off.

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
I don't get it.... It's a photograph ... Can't he just make a bunch of prints from the neg? How can something that is not rare be worth that much ?
And, if part of the sale is an agreement not to make prints, is'nt that a bit selfish ?
I can understand a panting, but not a photograph.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I don't understand either how it can be worth that much. What makes this one unique I think is the ghostly figure in the beam of light. :)

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I don't get it.... It's a photograph ... Can't he just make a bunch of prints from the neg? How can something that is not rare be worth that much ?
And, if part of the sale is an agreement not to make prints, is'nt that a bit selfish ?
I can understand a panting, but not a photograph.

Yes and no. Of course it can be reproduced many times. However, if you sell a photo as a limited edition, that photo can only be reproduced in the exact form of that limited edition the number of times of the edition. So if you have an edition of 10, that photo can only be reproduced 10 times in the size of the edition, on the paper of the edition etc. There was a fairly recent case concerning an Eggleston print based on exactly this. A collector had bought a ltd edition Eggleston print and then saw another copy. He sued because of this. I can't remember the outcome, the details, but basically if the second print has different dimensions or is on different paper, there's nothing you can do.

This Peter Lik print, now the most expensive photograph in the world, is a little bit controversial. Many photography and fine art critics do not consider this a fantastic photograph, or image.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...oto-sale-with-scepticism-20141212-125khz.html

This is an interesting article. I don't know how the story has held up, it's a few days old now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelh...expensive-photograph-arizona-antelope-canyon/

This Forbes article also isn't convinced - though uses the same sources.

Last edited:

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Like my Dad would say...."It's worth what someone will pay for it". Or was it "A fool and his money are soon parted"?

I guess it's mostly name recognition or the fact that in certain circles something simply being incredibly expensive brings value to the owner. My wife recently bought a painting for over $400. I thought it was a bit expensive but honestly it didn't break our bank and she finds joy in it. I'm guessing dropping $6.5M for this guy was like us dropping $400. It might have made him pause but it didn't keep him from buying groceries the next week.

I've often wondered what the "value" in photography really is (financially speaking...I believe there is immense value to the individual). It only takes a few minutes on the internet to find out that there are thousands and thousands of great photographers (pros and amatuers) out there and millions of brilliant photos. You'd think the supply side would keep the value down pretty low. Surely there are hundreds of great shots of this particular shaft of light. I can see the value in the service of photography. Hiring someone with skill to document something. I could see an image of immense historic value and rarity being worth a large sum.

Who knows? I guess that's part of what I find interesting about the art side of photography. I've been in countless museums, staring at something and told my wife I just don't get it. Then gone down the hall and seen a piece that I totally got and understood it's value. In the end, I'd like to sell something for just enough to buy a D750 and a new lens. ;)

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Or pay someone to go with you and show you how to take it!

I am trying to get an understanding for art though I suffer from frequent bouts of techie whereby I get astounded at the price some of these images command when it is sometimes in the luck of timing, being in the right place at the right time with sufficient gear (not always as we all know it is difficult). Meanwhile, well played by this guy for this, we all wish we had that million dollar picture. One day one of us will so keep shooting guys!

and... no way he would win one of the MR contests! whisps of dust in a light beam in slot canyon? pah! need to up your game mate! :)

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I'm thrilled that there are people out there that value photography that much. It suggests there is a rosy future for our medium despite all the doom and gloom you hear.

I raise an eyebrow at the picture because it seems to be more about execution than concept which doesn't seem to quite fit with the kind of art that it sits next to in the price stakes. Good on him though, from what I have seen Mr Lik is an exceptional marketer as well as a very good photographer.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
An intriguing photo, that's for sure, though any considerations of whether it's worth it are quite pointless. From what I've read/heard multiple times, at the point where someone will pay hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars for any artwork, it's not really about the artwork any more. It's boasting rights, status symbol.

Additionally, when an artwork by a relatively new artist (somebody like Lik rather than Warhol) gets sold for lots of money, their other works can be said to "increase in value" - without having to be sold to prove it. Guess what, the owners of those works can now use them as collateral to get loans and use the money for income generating investments. If you want to be the lucky artist to benefit from a high stakes game like this, your networking skills will count 100x more than your artistic vision.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Maybe not ... every time I put on a tux I get mistaken for the head waiter
( Waiter...what's this fly doing in my soup??!!)

Looks to me like the backstroke! :eek: (rimshot!)

Sorry, I inherited it from my mother.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
that's exactly the same spot!! :eek:

Yup , sure is .... there's probably several hundred folks who do the Upper Antelope Canyon walkthrough on any given day . Everyone gets to see the same thing if they're there at the right time . The light shafts appear only around noon between May and September IIRC . The trick is to arrange for a 'photo tour' where you go in with a small group and a Navajo guide who knows
where and when the shafts will appear and will tell you where to set up . He'll also arrange for crowd control to get the tourists with the point n shoots and little kids out of the way . We had about 5 minutes or so by each place for undisturbed shooting , which was nice .

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yup , sure is .... there's probably several hundred folks who do the Upper Antelope Canyon walkthrough on any given day . Everyone gets to see the same thing if they're there at the right time . The light shafts appear only around noon between May and September IIRC . The trick is to arrange for a 'photo tour' where you go in with a small group and a Navajo guide who knows
where and when the shafts will appear and will tell you where to set up . He'll also arrange for crowd control to get the tourists with the point n shoots and little kids out of the way . We had about 5 minutes or so by each place for undisturbed shooting , which was nice .

Undisturbed shooting is the key to both these photos. How many times have you been at a great location, but can't get the shot you want because of the crowds? Going out early can help to a degree, but crowd control is a little more difficult at some spots. Also with geotagging etc, lots of photographers can find those popular places. I'd love to travel more this year, but with family and work commitments I don't see it happening.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161

PM me , I'll tell ya where to send the check .....

It'll fetch even more if it's in black and white and panoramic. I took the initiative to apply a few changes to your picture, I hope you don't mind.

beam4c.jpg

I'd suggest "Stretch" as a good title, and I'll settle for a 10% cut of your selling price. Deal?

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
It'll fetch even more if it's in black and white and panoramic. I took the initiative to apply a few changes to your picture, I hope you don't mind.

I'd suggest "Stretch" as a good title, and I'll settle for a 10% cut of your selling price. Deal?

It's an intriguing proposition , but , alas , you're too late . When I realized that black and white plus a landscape format was the way to go , I immediately jumped into action and made the necessary corrections .The silence from art critics , aficionados , gallery owners , and the stupidly affluent in all probability just reflects their awe , and astonishment at the results . Even as I write this there are , no doubt , offers of great financial reward coming my way . They're probably in the mail , just delayed by the Christmas Rush .

beam4bwflip812.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.