Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burger011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
I bought my first iMac last November and I would like to develop my own website. Nothing major, just a simple website.

Someone was going to help me, but there not familar with Macs. He uses Front Page and according to him its very easy to use.

I'm looking for something thats easier then easy.... can anyone make suggestions? I'm also looking for cheaper then cheap.

Thanks for the info.

burger011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2002
benmac..

thanks for the info..

I would like to go one step above iTools...any suggestions?

ilikeiBook

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
iTools is good, but you might want to try using Microsoft Word, I think you can save a document as a web page.
Or if you know HTML, BBedit or any text editor will work.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I would advise getting up and running as far away from MSWord as you can. It creates horrible bloated HTML.

Here are two examples:

MSWorld HTML: http://www.brooklineuk.com/msword.htm
Adobe Golive HTML: http://www.brooklineuk.com/golive.html
(Control-Click on them and choose "View Source" to see the difference)

I would personally advise getting Golive over everything else for BASIC websites.

Dreamweaver lost me due to it not being OSX compatable.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Heh, you guys are gradually getting further and further away from "easier than easy".

My advice is no more helpful, either. I strongly suggest you learn the basics of HTML. There's tons of online tutorials that will help you through this. Once you know the basics, you can use just about any HTML editor. It's like playing an instrument; it's one thing to be play something, it's another to be able to read music.

That's just my suggestion. But if you really want "easier than easy" without learning HTML, I suggest HomePage or FrontPage. I doubt bloated HTML output will be much of a concern to a person who just wants a fast and easy cookie-cutter design.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
NetScape Composer is another option

Try NS Composor. Its little slow and have some bugs..But for a beginer, its the best and its free..and does most of the WYSIWUG editing with ease.
good luck

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Re: NetScape Composer is another option

Originally posted by jaykk
Try NS Composor. Its little slow and have some bugs..But for a beginer, its the best and its free..and does most of the WYSIWUG editing with ease.
good luck

You are correct, this is a very good basic editor!

MaxRool

macrumors member
TextEdit is 'cheaper than cheap' , but BBEdit includes an FTP client which is pretty useful.
But the question is Do you want to build a web page or learn HTML? (or maybe both)

'cause you you don't need to understand HTML formating to build a web page, but I think its more rewarding if you do.

I learnt using BBEdit and later moved to a WYSIWYG editor. The WYSIWIG's tend to add some extra code thats not necessary. If you learn to read HTML in the first place at least you might ain a etter understanding of whats going on.

Jesse

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2002
A program called Freeway 3.0 is an amazingly powerful and easy to use web editor. It's often overlooked because it is made by a small company in England named softpress. Download a demo at softpress

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.