Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
So in my eyes this is a non-issue as I have seen it on many iPhone 6's.

If you apply pressure near the edge of the screen on the left hand side above the volume rockers, you will be able to see the little plastic seal and screen are indeed loose and are being pushed into the screen. I've seen this on every iPhone6 I've come across so far. Some have it worse than others. Some make clicking sounds if you listen closely. If you run your fingers over the edge of each side of the screen, there should be a notable difference and on the loose side your fingers should "snag" on the edges.

I just found this interesting that it only happens on one side and can sometimes be really bad if it makes a clicking sound like one of my previous iPhone 6's. Let me know if you to have this on your iPhone please!

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
So in my eyes this is a non-issue as I have seen it on many iPhone 6's.

If you apply pressure near the edge of the screen on the left hand side above the volume rockers, you will be able to see the little plastic seal and screen are indeed loose and are being pushed into the screen. I've seen this on every iPhone6 I've come across so far. Some have it worse than others. Some make clicking sounds if you listen closely. If you run your fingers over the edge of each side of the screen, there should be a notable difference and on the loose side your fingers should "snag" on the edges.

I just found this interesting that it only happens on one side and can sometimes be really bad if it makes a clicking sound like one of my previous iPhone 6's. Let me know if you to have this on your iPhone please!

I'm afraid to do this. What if something snaps apart. I've never known a phone to be so fragile.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
I'm afraid to do this. What if something snaps apart. I've never known a phone to be so fragile.

See if your fingers are getting snagged on the edges first. You don't need to press hard to see it moving. Best to sort it out if it has a problem now than later.

OCD-

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2014
I have had two 6's so far, a new one and then a white bix replacment. Bothe phones had their screen re

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Hey, let's just have people put their phone in an unrealistic situation to possibly find a problem that they wouldn't have ever seen before! No thanks...

OCD-

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2014
Sorry post got cut off

I have had two 6's so far, a new one and then a white bix replacment. Both phones had their screen replaced once. The first 6 had a broken home button, and when i got the new screen i noticed it was loose (leftside by vol/mute) so it got swapped out for the second 6 which had a less loose screen. That screen had a dead pixel so when it got replaced it again was loose and clicking. At this point i was fed up and i reseated the screen myself several times to remedy the issue but was unsuccessful.

While it was apart i noticed that the screen had two large mounting clips on the left side bottom half but none on the top half. The right side had a large clip on the botton and small on top. The reason for the lack of clips on the top left half is because the volume/mute buttons take up space, making it difficult to implement mounts on the chassis. I believe this is why the screen has a little give. This is a similar scenario for the 6 plus also. The 5/5s are designed this way too but since the screen is much smaller there is no give.

Anyway i got fed up and returned the 6 in exchange for a 6 plus which has very little give. I say if your phone has exessive loosness or clicking too get it checked out/replaced, however remember your playing the lottery.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
See if your fingers are getting snagged on the edges first. You don't need to press hard to see it moving. Best to sort it out if it has a problem now than later.

Can you post a photo where exactly? Can you show in your photo where you're placing your fingers? I have a 6+, not a 6. Does that matter?

----------

My 6 plus does not have this issue as well. Might only be the iPhone 6.

Whew. This is a relief. I didn't spend over $1K for a 6+ for it to have issues.

----------

Mine makes a clicking noise if you press either side of the home button

Why does this matter again?

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Can you post a photo where exactly? Can you show in your photo where you're placing your fingers? I have a 6+, not a 6. Does that matter?

----------

Whew.… This is a relief. I didn't spend over $1K for a 6+ for it to have issues.

----------

Why does this matter again?

I'll put up maybe a video soon.

It matters because the screen should not be clicking either side of the home button...

fingleburt

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Seriously? It's a phone, don't baby it. When will you people stop looking for faults and just enjoy your purchase, it seems like some of you have buyers remorse and are just looking for an excuse to return it. If you need that much validation I feel for you.

OCD-

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2014
That definetly is not normal, it sounds like the display isnt seated correctly or the mounts/clips are not up to spec and fail to retain a tight fit on the chassis. Set up a genius appointment, they will more than likely replace the screen under warranty since it obviously a defect. Your clicking/loosness seems worse than what i had on my 6 and i got it replaced.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
That definetly is not normal, it sounds like the display isnt seated correctly or the mounts/clips are not up to spec and fail to retain a tight fit on the chassis. Set up a genius appointment, they will more than likely replace the screen under warranty since it obviously a defect. Your clicking/loosness seems worse than what i had on my 6 and i got it replaced.

What are my chances with just exchanging it for a new one?

Last time they offered to refund me or replace the entire screen free of charge cause they had no stock. I took the refund option and purchased this one which now has the same issue in a different spot. Should I chance my luck with a new one or get the screen replaced?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.