Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Does anyone have the Disney Infinity? Can it be used across platforms? We have the Wii, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3 and PS4. Surely, these things are meant to be used on multiple platforms. It looks like a standard USB cable when I saw one hooked up.

I'm thinking about getting one for my girls to play with but since there are multiple systems in the house, I wanted it to be usable in as many places as possible. Especially for those inevitable slumber parties. Major differences in the regular and the 2.0?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep hardware wise can, however you need to get the software - I think it can be downloaded standalone from each of the consoles marketplaces. Just buy 1 starter pack.

Personally however I'd personally recommend Skylanders over infinity. However I imagine as you have girls - it's the lure of FROZEN characters :)

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Yep hardware wise can, however you need to get the software - I think it can be downloaded standalone from each of the consoles marketplaces. Just buy 1 starter pack.

Personally however I'd personally recommend Skylanders over infinity. However I imagine as you have girls - it's the lure of FROZEN characters :)

You nailed it. That Princess Anna character is a winner. Plus we went to Walt Disney World Resort back in October, while we were in the Chase Lounge in Epcot, I watched the six-year-old, having never seen the game before pick up a controller and a character then just go to town playing while I relaxed. She didn't need any help or instructions. She just played it. That impressed me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm sure she will love it :) it's great that we have games like Skylanders and Disney Infinity for families.

We have a recording & video editing studio here and this time of year there are a ton of plays/performances from schools and drama clubs we have to record & edit. Frozen is everywhere this year, I just wish I could 'let it go' ;)

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I'm sure she will love it :) it's great that we have games like Skylanders and Disney Infinity for families.

We have a recording & video editing studio here and this time of year there are a ton of plays/performances from schools and drama clubs we have to record & edit. Frozen is everywhere this year, I just wish I could 'let it go' ;)

This sums it up...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Does anyone have the Disney Infinity? Can it be used across platforms? We have the Wii, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3 and PS4. Surely, these things are meant to be used on multiple platforms. It looks like a standard USB cable when I saw one hooked up.

Gamestop is starting to take Skylanders and DI on trade-ins and you can get the figures and game discs by themselves if you like.
This sums it up...

YouTube: video

That's pretty funny...

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I'm also finding a lot of Disney Infinity on Craigslist in my area. Okay, if I buy the Disney Infinity 2.0 should I get it for the Xbox One or for the PS4? I know that it won't work on the Wii unless I get an Infinity 1.0 version.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The PS4 & XB1 version is identical. Just go for whichever console is in the room you envision she would be using it the most :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Can I download the software for the other? Would it make sense to buy a 1.0 for the Wii and then buy the upgrades on PS4 and Xbox One?

I have done that myself on PS4. The infinity base from 1.0 on wii / wii u will work on PS4 - though I believe it won't work on the XB1.

So if you are getting the Wii version - just download Infinity 2.0 on PS4 (check it's available on your PSN store) and you will be able to use the 1 base with 2.0 and all the new characters will work on the PS4.

Infinity 2.0 character toys won't work on the Wii though. Also the playsets from Infinity 1.0 don't work in 2.0 - just the toy box stuff & characters.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I have done that myself on PS4. The infinity base from 1.0 on wii / wii u will work on PS4 - though I believe it won't work on the XB1.

So if you are getting the Wii version - just download Infinity 2.0 on PS4 (check it's available on your PSN store) and you will be able to use the 1 base with 2.0 and all the new characters will work on the PS4.

Infinity 2.0 character toys won't work on the Wii though. Also the playsets from Infinity 1.0 don't work in 2.0 - just the toy box stuff & characters.

Target has the 2.0 for PS4 on sale for $39.99 minus 5% for using my red card. The 1.0 was more expensive. They'll just have to agree to play it on the PS4. I got the one with Merida and Stitch. I'm going to swing by GameStop to see if they have any preowned characters. I may have to breakdown and pay $14 for Elsa.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Target has the 2.0 for PS4 on sale for $39.99 minus 5% for using my red card. The 1.0 was more expensive. They'll just have to agree to play it on the PS4. I got the one with Merida and Stitch. I'm going to swing by GameStop to see if they have any preowned characters. I may have to breakdown and pay $14 for Elsa.

Just to clarify the Toy Box version is $40 and the Marvel version is $54.

They had both on sale for $40 Thanksgiving Thursday to Saturday and I picked mine up on the Saturday, though they only had Wii U versions left. Still haven't had time to play with it - to busy hunting Amiibo's down... :eek:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
So the Xbox one works on the iPad you just need the iPad app?? What about powering the thing and connecting it to the iPad?

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
So the Xbox one works on the iPad you just need the iPad app?? What about powering the thing and connecting it to the iPad?

For the iOS app, you don't use the physical character pad. You have digital characters that you unlock with a code.

so the 1.0 characters will play on the 2.0 platform?

Yes, in my limited experience I have found that the 1.0 characters will work with the 2.0 set. Which is a very good thing because Elsa and Anna are only available as 1.0 characters.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I thank everyone for the PMs on where to pick up Disney Infinity stuff. Right now, a six-year-old has been playing this thing for a couple of hours. I had already picked up the 2.0 Starter pack from Target getting us Merida & Stitch. Then I found a Wii Starter Pack with Captain Jack Sparrow, Scully and Mr. Incredible for $25 on Craigslist. Add the four characters that I picked up at Toys R Us during their 2 for $20 deal; Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Tinker Bell and Rocket Raccoon.

Now, that should have been enough for any two kids, right? Someone sent me a PM with a link to Elsa and Anna available online. They arrived yesterday. Lastly, I dropped by Gamestop where I found that they have pre-owned characters starting at $4.99! I got Groot and a Crystal Lightning McQueen. Add them all up, that's 13 characters, two platforms (two different systems) for $145 total. And now they are playing it on their iPads, too.

This thing is a winner!!!

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Many I know usually spend around $300 to start... :eek:

You'll get there eventually...

;)

The little one used up her allowed video game time for today and the only thing she played was Disney Infinity. Ever hear a six-year-old negotiate? It's raining today, so she can't go outside. She wants to trade her outside play time for Disney Infinity time. It is after all Winter Holiday break and she got all "O's" on her report card. She's even willing to trade "a little of her tv time but NOT Phineas & Ferb.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The little one used up her allowed video game time for today and the only thing she played was Disney Infinity. Ever hear a six-year-old negotiate? It's raining today, so she can't go outside. She wants to trade her outside play time for Disney Infinity time. It is after all Winter Holiday break and she got all "O's" on her report card. She's even willing to trade "a little of her tv time but NOT Phineas & Ferb.

Bless her. :) I think you can call that a gaming success purchase wise.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
The Disney Infinity was a huge hit today. Lots of kids over. That thing stayed in use constantly. I wound up setting up a second television so that two could play on the Wii and two could play on the PS4 at the same time. There isn't a huge difference between them.

Stitch, Elsa and Groot turned out to be the most popular characters.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
FYI - Toys R Us is clearing out overstock of DI 2.0 Toy Box sets for $20.

I got one even though I have the Marvel Set for Wii U. 2 More Characters plus 2 power discs plus I got the PS4 game - $20 a great deal...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.