Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
I have used Apple pay with my 6 a dozen or so times successfully. Yesterday I attempted to buy a $7 sandwich from Subway and the transaction failed. I have used Apple pay at this particular location a few times. I would push the Home key and hold it over the reader and Siri would pop up instead of Apple pay. There was no one else in the store except the salesman and me so I kept trying and trying, at least two dozen times with no success. I asked him if he pushed the Apple pay key and he kept saying he did. So was I doing something wrong or was he doing something wrong?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have used Apple pay with my 6 a dozen or so times successfully. Yesterday I attempted to buy a $7 sandwich from Subway and the transaction failed. I have used Apple pay at this particular location a few times. I would push the Home key and hold it over the reader and Siri would pop up instead of Apple pay. There was no one else in the store except the salesman and me so I kept trying and trying, at least two dozen times with no success. I asked him if he pushed the Apple pay key and he kept saying he did. So was I doing something wrong or was he doing something wrong?

Your problem is you pushed the home key. You only need to place your finger on it like touchID. I bet you just had a brain fart.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Your problem is you pushed the home key. You only need to place your finger on it like touchID. I bet you just had a brain fart.
Well I tried every combination of pushing the home button to just resting my finger on it and even double pushing it. All I kept getting is that stupid worthless Siri.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Well I tried every combination of pushing the home button to just resting my finger on it and even double pushing it. All I kept getting is that stupid worthless Siri.

Just rest your finger on the home button, exactly how you unlock your phone.

If you keep getting Siri, you are doing it wrong.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
op if you push to the point where Siri comes up or even the home screen if the phone is locked just open up passbook and apple pay will appear looking to OK the transaction.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Then there's something wrong with your button. You are not supposed to push it for it to unlock.
i have been thinking that too but since this is my first Apple product I didn't know if it was working right or not. I live in Orlando. Should I take it to an Apple Store? Will I need a date with a genius?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
So it's worked fine elsewhere and just this one shop didn't work.

It's possible the terminal's NFC hardware was broken or turned off.

Try it somewhere else.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
I am trying to contact Apple for customer service and what a disaster. First I go to the Apple Support web site and it tells me to give them my phone number and they will text me instructions. The instructions are a bunch of stuff I have to message back to them. I do that and I am told I must call a number. So I call the number, wait on hold for ten minutes and then explain my problem to Debbie. She says she must transfer me to someone else. So Heidi comes on the line and I reexplain it all to her. After a few minutes the line is dead. Now I have to start all over. What crappy customer service.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Well I got back in touch and after explaining the problem two more times I finally asked for an appointment at the Genius Bar. I go see them tomorrow at 3:40. I am really glad Apple Pay is saving me so much time:rolleyes:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I've used Apple Pay around 8 times. I've never had an issue - I just place my locked iPhone over the terminal and place my finger on the home button (I never press it).

Sounds like the terminal at Subway have been down?

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
It's a possibility that this location turned off the NFC component for unknown reasons. Maybe you can ask them about it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If it worked several times you used it then all of sudden stopped, that's indicative of a hardware malfunction. The NFC induction coil can fail, as it did for a couple of members. Get it checked out.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If it worked several times you used it then all of sudden stopped, that's indicative of a hardware malfunction. The NFC induction coil can fail, as it did for a couple of members. Get it checked out.

Yes, but for most people it's probably a lot easier to first just try it out at McDonalds or Walgreens or somewhere first vs making a trip to an Apple store. If it still doesn't work, then there's most likely a fault in the phone -- if it does work it's most likely a bad terminal at that Subway.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yes, but for most people it's probably a lot easier to first just try it out at McDonalds or Walgreens or somewhere first vs making a trip to an Apple store. If it still doesn't work, then there's most likely a fault in the phone -- if it does work it's most likely a bad terminal at that Subway.

True. The OP is wasting his time with us rather than do as you suggested.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Just use Passbook and confirm the transaction. At least that way you can complete the purchase and be satisfy with the food. LOL!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I would push the Home key and hold it over the reader and Siri would pop up instead of Apple pay.
The Apple Pay screen pops up automatically when it senses a NFC signal nearby. AFAIK, there is actually nothing that you can press to bring up that screen, even if you wanted to.

I guess it's possible that your iPhone suddenly lost the ability to sense NPC, but my bet is that the Subway terminal was fuba'red.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
I just went to McD for breakfast and it worked perfectly. I am still going to see the Genius tomorrow anyway.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
At Subway, they need to ring your sale up as Credit, which confuses them since they expect to be handed a card first.

When they do so, the terminal screen will show the NFC radio wave icon, which is your cue to put your iPhone to the terminal.

In my experience, Subway clerks have received essentially zero training on this, so I get to be their instructor as they all gather round and oooooh and aaaaaaah over it.

If your phone worked at Walgreens, it's probably fine; I'd try a few more Apple Pay purchases before making a genius appointment.

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Well guys success! I have used Apple Pay about a dozen times and I have had the exact same thing happen three or four times at different places that I had successfully used Apple Pay in the past. So I went to my Genius Bar appointment today because I wanted to get to the bottom of this.

Turns out my phone is not defective. Turns out Subway's reader was not defective. What was defective was Apple's description of how to use Apple Pay. They attempted to make it sound a lot easier than it really is to entice more people to try it out.

The first thing is there is no "tap and pay". You don't tap nothing. I have changed the settings so that Siri does not come up with Touch ID. Here is exactly what is needed to make a successful payment.

1 - Tell the clerk you will be using Apple Pay so he can turn on NFC if necessary.

2 - Hold the top of the phone one or two inches from the Apple Pay logo = )))

3 - Wait for the Apple Pay screen to appear on your phone.

4 - Lay your thumb on the Home button and wait for the vibration.

I had no idea the phone had to be so close to the Apple Pay symbol. I was also pressing the home button and waking up Siri. I am glad I got this straightened out. It was really bugging me. It is really easy to use once you know the secrets. Apple needs to do some better education to it's users. I have searched the Internet several times for this information and was not able to find it.

Thank you to every one who attempted to help me.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Yes it was, but no one on this forum could tell me how to solve the problem. I should not have to visit the Genius Bar to figure out how to use something that is suppose to be simple.

I could have, but alas, I only read the thread now. Glad it's working for you now though! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.