Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpcortese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Naperville Illinois
I'm anxious to start using Apple Pay but I can't seem to be able to add a credit card in Passbook. Whether I try to add my American Express Costco card or my bank Master Card or Visa cards, the conclusion is always the same. I get a message that the card cannot be entered and that I should call the card issuer. Even the Visa card that I use for the apple store doesn't show up in Passbook and I can't enter it again. Why is this happening and are there any tricks to getting my cards added? I'm frustrated by this whole process.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
No tricks.
Settings -> Passbook & Apple Pay -> Add Credit or Debit Card and follow the prompts.

Your card-issuer does need to support it, most of the majors do at this point. Who is your Visa and MC from? Since you got a message directing you to call the card issuer, what did they say when you spoke with them?

Costco Amex should work, I had no trouble adding or using mine. Not that I can use it at Costco, but it works elsewhere.

Page 125 of the Friendly Manual:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have an amex card that I use, and it works. Did you enter the verification code that is emailed to you after setting it up?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
My AMEX cards work fine. The Costco AMEX should work. Not sure about your other cards. Who are your issuers?

jpcortese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Naperville Illinois
Besides my American Express Costco card. My Visa is a Chase card and my Master Card is a Citibank card. I can't add any of these and I haven't yet called them as instructed. I will try to do that later on today. Also, the Visa Chase card that I use at the Apple Store doesn't even show up in Passbook and I don't know why that is happening.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Besides my American Express Costco card. My Visa is a Chase card and my Master Card is a Citibank card. I can't add any of these and I haven't yet called them as instructed. I will try to do that later on today. Also, the Visa Chase card that I use at the Apple Store doesn't even show up in Passbook and I don't know why that is happening.

Your chase visa should work. I currently have that one too. I wonder if it has something to do with your appleID. It seems weird that none of them would work since they are all different issuers.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I have the American Express Costco (Trueearnings) card linked with Apple Pay. You don't have the business version of the card by any chance? Business credit cards don't typically work based on what I've read.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
My Visa is a Chase card and my Master Card is a Citibank card

For the record I have a Chase Visa and two different Citi MasterCards that all work fine in ApplePay.

Also, the Visa Chase card that I use at the Apple Store doesn't even show up in Passbook and I don't know why that is happening.

Please explain why you're expecting it to show up in Passbook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.