Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Michigan
First, I have an extra cyber Monday discount code for Moto X 2014 through Motorola its due to expire soon. If you want it PM me!

Second, as a semi admitted phone junkie I have ZERO regrets buying a custom Moto X 32GB (Leather back, black front, Gray trim) to replace the iPhone 6 I bought on CL back in late October. Ok, one regret, iPhones on CL are not selling like I thought they would so I took a hit there.

For anyone looking at Android, the quality, flexibility and looks of this phone in leather is stunning. I got the Cognac leather. With Google play edition it is the fastest phone I have ever used and I had a Note 3 for a year prior. Size wise it is about the same dimensions as the smaller iPhone (but with a much bigger screen) so it fits and works well one handed (average male hands) You can customize the wake up feature for whatever phrase you like now (I am using "OK COMPUTER HELP" until I come up with something better. I have been able to wake the phone from several feet away with that command like in my car and tell my phone to navigate to the nearest starbucks. This and dynamic notifications are must haves IMO. I think the iPhone will let you do this to a limited degree but it must be plugged in to power and I'm not sure if it works with the most useful apps like Google Maps. For under $400.00 (with the BF coupon code) the Google play edition phone in leather or wood and 32GB of memory is hard to beat. :)

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
First, I have an extra cyber Monday discount code for Moto X 2014 through Motorola its due to expire soon. If you want it PM me!

Second, as a semi admitted phone junkie I have ZERO regrets buying a custom Moto X 32GB (Leather back, black front, Gray trim) to replace the iPhone 6 I bought on CL back in late October. Ok, one regret, iPhones on CL are not selling like I thought they would so I took a hit there.

For anyone looking at Android, the quality, flexibility and looks of this phone in leather is stunning. I got the Cognac leather. With Google play edition it is the fastest phone I have ever used and I had a Note 3 for a year prior. Size wise it is about the same dimensions as the smaller iPhone (but with a much bigger screen) so it fits and works well one handed (average male hands) You can customize the wake up feature for whatever phrase you like now (I am using "OK COMPUTER HELP" until I come up with something better. I have been able to wake the phone from several feet away with that command like in my car and tell my phone to navigate to the nearest starbucks. This and dynamic notifications are must haves IMO. I think the iPhone will let you do this to a limited degree but it must be plugged in to power and I'm not sure if it works with the most useful apps like Google Maps. For under $400.00 (with the BF coupon code) the Google play edition phone in leather or wood and 32GB of memory is hard to beat. :)

hmm, did you mean the carrier-free version (with the tmobile SIM)? i would think a Google Play Edition would not have any of the motorola features. It will be straight up pure Android no?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
hmm, did you mean the carrier-free version (with the tmobile SIM)? i would think a Google Play Edition would not have any of the motorola features. It will be straight up pure Android no?

I believe it is actually called "Pure Edition" (Yes carrier free gsm) and its sold by moto w/ moto's features if I'm not mistaken.

GPE has been dead in 2014 save for the HTC One M8

Rangomango

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
I'm thinking of making the switch from iPhone 6 to the new moto x as well.

How do you feel about the camera between the two?

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Mine should be shipping today, coming from a beautiful Red HTC One M8 with GPE conversion running Lollipop, but I'm looking for something with the best antenna I can find, we live in a "variable coverage area" as VZW calls it. My old HTC gets a decent signal, but it was the last phone to work out there, and it's an early 2010 model.

Bought one on Swappa, lightly used, black front, bamboo back, silver accents. Very pretty device.

As for the camera, I'm going from 4MP with excellent low light performance, 2.0µ pixels and ƒ2.0 lens to a 13MP sensor with 1.1µ pixels, worse low light performance, but a huge resolution boost. In the end the Moto X will do better in normal lighting, especially in the details. But not as good in low light. I do gain 4k capture however. I've heard the focus can be spotty, and the M8 was great at it and had full manual controls for focus, ISO, shutter speed, white balance, and overall exposure. Hopefully I can find something similar on the Moto X.

It's nice that it already has Lollipop though :cool:

I'm thinking of making the switch from iPhone 6 to the new moto x as well.

How do you feel about the camera between the two?

From experience, I would give the camera win to the iPhone. Apple has superior image processing to Motorola's devices, and that is where the biggest differences lie, more so than the hardware in some respects. But when I know I'll be taking pictures, I'll bring my compact camera or my DSLR. So it isn't the most important thing for me anymore like I thought it would be. Any 2014 flagship should deliver reasonable results. And I wouldn't call it bad by any means. Same Sony sensor as the G2, G3, and GS4.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Seems to be quite a few of us here buying Moto x's lately. Mine won't be replacing my 6 plus however - it'll just be keeping good company.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Seems to be quite a few of us here buying Moto x's lately. Mine won't be replacing my 6 plus however - it'll just be keeping good company.

Its the only manageable ('normal' sized) 2014 stock Android phone out there. Nexus 6 is overpriced and underperforming. Nexus 5 discontinued. GPE HTC One M8 is more expensive and has an arguably weaker camera.

Add the $140/£100 discount, the ability to personalize, timely updates and it becomes hard to argue against it.

I also have one and for the most part like it, but no way is it replacing my 6+.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Its the only manageable ('normal' sized) 2014 stock Android phone out there. Nexus 6 is overpriced and underperforming. Nexus 5 discontinued. GPE HTC One M8 is more expensive and has an arguably weaker camera.

Add the $140/£100 discount, the ability to personalize, timely updates and it becomes hard to argue against it.

I also have one and for the most part like it, but no way is it replacing my 6+.

That's (size & stock android) pretty much why I picked one up. I didn't get the discount here that you get, but still managed to get a new one for a good price.

C5Longhorn

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
I'll take the code if you have an extra. I want to buy a Moto X for my wife and me.

Thanks,

Rick

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

And to think this is the last phone I would have ever imagined buying. It's funny how things actually do play out.

As for how well the Moto X is holding up? Coming from the over bug ridden Kitkat Note 3 and a janky iOS 8 laden iPhone 5s, the Moto is like a harmonious melody from the heavens. It's just so damn simple and smooth, nothing more really needs to be said.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Michigan
I have to say being a phone junkie, the 2014 Moto X has been by far the most useful tool I have ever owned. I'm also amazed at how the cognac leather is holding up.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have mine running on Verizon Prepaid 2.5gb for $60.

I like the screen to body ratio, Lollipop, memory management and bang for the buck.

That that you other smartphones on the market. :)

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I have mine running on Verizon Prepaid 2.5gb for $60.

I like the screen to body ratio, Lollipop, memory management and bang for the buck.

That that you other smartphones on the market. :)

I got you beat :)

Moto X 2014 and iPhone 6 running on T-Mobile Prepaid 5 GB LTE for $30

The X is an awesome phone, I agree with all the reasons you said :D

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I've been so tempted to pick one up due to the stock Android experience and the good things I have heard.

It would be a great companion device to my 6+ as I cant see giving that up just yet as the camera is phenomenal.

mustafu

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2014
I've been so tempted to pick one up due to the stock Android experience and the good things I have heard.

It would be a great companion device to my 6+ as I cant see giving that up just yet as the camera is phenomenal.

I agree with you there, even with my older 5s, the iPhone's Camera and Audio quality also are tough concessions for me to make. I'd likely have to use an amp of some kind to make the headphones sound as good on the X as the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.