Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zo6

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Ive been teen telling ATT that they should offer roll over data like they did with voice minutes for two years, so now T mobile has beat them to it. We will all get benefit of this in time, should change the whole data thing and will make unlimited seem unnecessary. Thank you again T Mobile!!!

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
This is exactly why Tmobile is offering rollover data, and even giving all new contracts 10GB automatically. Meaning that unlimited data for tmobile will be no more in the near future, and everyone will be forced to a tiered data plan once you use up your rollovers.

I could be wrong but that's what I'm getting from all of this.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
This is exactly why Tmobile is offering rollover data, and even giving all new contracts 10GB automatically. Meaning that unlimited data for tmobile will be no more in the near future, and everyone will be forced to a tiered data plan once you use up your rollovers.

Unless they want to quickly lose a large percent of their customers, doing away with unlimited would be a bad idea. Some of us pay unlimited prices but don't actually use that much data...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Ive been teen telling ATT that they should offer roll over data like they did with voice minutes for two years, so now T mobile has beat them to it. We will all get benefit of this in time, should change the whole data thing and will make unlimited seem unnecessary. Thank you again T Mobile!!!

I do not think AT&T wants to really compete with T-Mo.

T-Mo is desperate and trying to add new contracts. Unless all the carriers do roll over, AT&T will not.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Yup. Looks like future is inevitable. Unlimited will be gone soon enough.

I can't believe people are getting excited over this. Who doesn't have the true unlimited plan on Tmobile?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Unless they want to quickly lose a large percent of their customers, doing away with unlimited would be a bad idea. Some of us pay unlimited prices but don't actually use that much data...

I'm not sure I agree (or strictly disagree with this). I have no idea what percentage of their users are still in unlimited. I have even less of an idea of what percentage of those on unlimited would leave as a result of the unlimited plan officially ending. is it safe for me to assume that your statement is based mostly on speculation and not on actual data? If not, I would truly love to see the data. This has been a topic of discussion for years but nobody really has any evidence; it's always their "gut" talking.

----------

Yup. Looks like future is inevitable. Unlimited will be gone soon enough.

I can't believe people are getting excited over this. Who doesn't have the true unlimited plan on Tmobile?

In somewhat excited with the prospect Att may offer the same thing. Our data usage is all over the place depending on what we do each month. I'd be more than happy using the data that I paid for but didn't use last month on a month where we ended up using more.

Silly having to pay an overage one month and then using less than half of the allotted data two to three months in a row following. I've only had I think two overages (and they actual credited me when I asked lol) but we use about 60% of the data we oay for every year; as mentioned we have gone over the month allotment. Not having to micro manage would be nice. Of course I could just get over it, but a monthly bill that stays the same and is an extra $10 or so more one month is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

----------

T-Mo is desperate and trying to add new contracts. Unless all the carriers do roll over, AT&T will not.

Itnwouldnbe interesting to see which carrier people leaving ATT go to the most. If you trust forums (I wouldn't) that would seem to be TMO. ATT had already marched Sprint (another carrier I would think they could care less about). Of course they publicly match Verizon rather frequently.

I think a lot of what TMO does has an influence in ATT. TMO was certainly rhenforest to get rid of contracts with the rest seemingly following suit (I say seemingly because I have no idea how long internal talks may or may not have gone on about programs like NEXT).

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007

I actually disagree. AT&T has been very quick to react to TMo announcements for the past 18 months.

I'm not sure they NEED to do this though. I think if they simply offered double data for every tier of their offering that it would be sufficient.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I actually disagree. AT&T has been very quick to react to TMo announcements for the past 18 months.

I'm not sure they NEED to do this though. I think if they simply offered double data for every tier of their offering that it would be sufficient.

Ars Technica is spinning this as an attempt by T-Mobile to upsell. The rollover plans start at $60 while their basic plans start at $50. So they look like the "good guys" while they likely will upsell more into the $60 plans. Meanwhile, some people spending $10 to get into the next tier may drop down a notch, but probably not enough to offset the upsells.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

T-MOBILE is the BEST!!! They offer like no other. I've been with Sprint now for 10-12 years. I relinquish my commitment in 2 days and will go with T-Mobile for my 6+. I would've stayed with Sprint if I could get into one of their prepaid plans on my unlocked 6+, but their prepaid plans were tied to only certain smartphones which you had to get directly from them. Even my Sprint 4S couldn't be linked into Sprint's prepaid plan - go figure that one out? :eek:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

I believe you're overthinking it. The majority of their customers are not on the truly unlimited plan. They're actually on the entry level $50 1GB base plan. T-Mobile's ARPU illustrates this. If you notice the rollover doesn't apply unless you have the $60 or higher plan. T-Mobile has done the math and probably realized that most people aren't using as much data as they think they need. I'd venture to say that even a good chunk of users on the truly unlimited plan buy it for piece of mind rather than actually using tons of data. This rollover makes it easier to upsell to the $60 and $70 data plans and increase T-Mobile's ARPU and overall revenue while also earning goodwill with consumers.

They're not getting rid of unlimited anytime soon. It's they're most expensive and highest revenue generating data plan. If you go to one of their stores that's the data plan they try the hardest to upsell users to. They still need it as a competitive advantage because as of right now they still can't compete with the Big 2 in terms of overall geographic coverage.

On the note of AT&T, I can't see them matching this one anytime soon. They and Verizon made well over a billion dollars in revenue from overages last year. That's not something they would easily give up, especially with their profit margins already declining lately.

Last edited:

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Unlimited will be gone soon enough.

Unlimited is not going anywhere, unless T-Mobile runs out of capacity, or T-Mobile turns into AT&T/Verizon and can't/won't offer unlimited data, with will most likely not happen.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

Is that why they're currently promoting a truly unlimited 4G LTE family plan?

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Ars Technica is spinning this as an attempt by T-Mobile to upsell. The rollover plans start at $60 while their basic plans start at $50. So they look like the "good guys" while they likely will upsell more into the $60 plans. Meanwhile, some people spending $10 to get into the next tier may drop down a notch, but probably not enough to offset the upsells.

I just don't think they need to upsell. I just feel this is just an empty gesture from TMo.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's great to have but the people on the 3GB and 5GB plans that will have this will likely never even need the data pool. The vast majority of those users will always have data leftover to bank. And the ultra-vast majority of those will never even need the pool of data that's being saved.

It costs TMo almost nothing to do this. But this will continue to keep them in the headlines. I think this might be the first Uncarrier announcement that is solely a PR stunt.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Of course AT&T doesn't want to compete with T-Mobile. But unfortunately for them, that's exactly what's happening, and they will have to respond in some fashion unless they like losing customers to T-Mobile.

number-of-wireless-customers-added-quarterly-t-mobile-sprint-verizon-at-t_chartbuilder1.png

Source

T-Mo is desperate and trying to add new contracts.

That desperation appears to be paying off.

----------

Unlimited data on T-Mobile isn't going away anytime soon. Customers on T-Mobile unlimited plans are paying more than those on the tiered plans, sometimes as much as $30 more. This is the exact opposite from AT&T and Verizon, who priced their unlimited tier very low compared to the tiered offerings, which motivated them to eliminate it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Of course AT&T doesn't want to compete with T-Mobile. But unfortunately for them, that's exactly what's happening, and they will have to respond in some fashion unless they like losing customers to T-Mobile.

Source

That desperation appears to be paying off.

----------

Unlimited data on T-Mobile isn't going away anytime soon. Customers on T-Mobile unlimited plans are paying more than those on the tiered plans, sometimes as much as $30 more. This is the exact opposite from AT&T and Verizon, who priced their unlimited tier very low compared to the tiered offerings, which motivated them to eliminate it.

It is called "churn" and is a fact of life for all the carriers. ATT is not losing any sleep over T-Mo and will not match all of their silly games.

I tried T-Mo but had to go outside to receive or make calls, even in an area where they are to have "excellent" service. Leave the big city and T-Mo is no where to be found!

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
while you all debate abut whether or not this is T-mobile's way of upselling you to the $60 tier, let me point out that if you have an iPad and pay $20 a month you get Music freedom AND Data Stash. if T-Mobile is trying to upsell people into paying for 3 Gig tiers, its a mystery why they aren't making us with iPads pay for 5 gigs.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It is called "churn" and is a fact of life for all the carriers.

The devil is in the details. Churn has significantly increased for AT&T in the most recent quarter, with T-Mobile benefitting almost entirely from it.

ATT is not losing any sleep over T-Mo and will not match all of their silly games.

You are welcome to cheerlead for AT&T, of course. But the idea that AT&T has T-Mobile on the Pay No Mind list is pretty laughable to anyone who can objectively see the results of T-Mobile's efforts as of late.

I tried T-Mo but had to go outside to receive or make calls, even in an area where they are to have "excellent" service. Leave the big city and T-Mo is no where to be found!

And this is why we have multiple carriers. That said, big cities are big because the majority of the US population lives in those big cities. For quite a few of those people, T-Mobile is a sensible choice.

And for those for whom T-Mobile is not a sensible choice, it still helps AT&T customers (even you) for AT&T to be concerned. Downward pricing pressures and upward value-offering pressures benefit all consumers. So, one might question the motives of any "consumer" who scoffs at efforts like this.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Scoff away, I could care less. I tried T-Mo three times and I made my choice. For the extra cost I will pick coveage any day.

Yeah, I think you need to look up the word "scoff" to see who I was referring to there. But anyway, shame it didn't work out for you. In any case, T-Mobile coverage works out wonderfully for some 52.9 million customers and growing. And again, their efforts do affect everyone and clearly have an influence.

----------

while you all debate abut whether or not this is T-mobile's way of upselling you to the $60 tier, let me point out that if you have an iPad and pay $20 a month you get Music freedom AND Data Stash. if T-Mobile is trying to upsell people into paying for 3 Gig tiers, its a mystery why they aren't making us with iPads pay for 5 gigs.

People who are trying to inject conspiracy theories into T-Mobile's strategy seem to be completely ignoring the facts here. But I guess that goes with sour grapes.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Scoff away, I could care less. I tried T-Mo three times and I made my choice. For the extra cost I will pick coveage any day.

:)

While T-Mobile's coverage may be in fact bad wherever you are, that doesn't change the fact that AT&T IS competing with them and reacting to their moves. This isn't anecdotal or an opinion, it's a fact that anyone can see just from looking at the numbers for the past 6 quarters and the moves AT&T has made in reaction to T-Mobile. Or do you think they just willingly lowered their prices and profits out of the goodness of their hearts?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
You are welcome to cheerlead for AT&T, of course. But the idea that AT&T has T-Mobile on the Pay No Mind list is pretty laughable to anyone who can objectively see the results of T-Mobile's efforts as of late.

The irony in this post in huge. Are you not cheerleading TMobile right now?

Sorry, I forgot the rule about TMobile here. Ignore all the negatives about their trash network and parade their mediocre Uncarrier moves around. Every carrier sucks compared to TMobile.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Scoff away, I could care less.

That's really the issue with this announcement. I don't see how this is a great thing. It's nice, for sure. I just don't believe it's practical for most users other than for them to say "Look at all this rollover data I have in reserve!"

It means nothing if your data plan covers your usage on a consistent basis. And if your data plan doesn't cover your usage on a consistent basis, then you will have no rollover to fall back on because you would have used it all in a short period of time.

That's why I don't think AT&T needs to respond to this. It's just not valuable to the vast majority of wireless users. But AT&T has been responding to TMobile but there are still things that need to respond to that are way higher on the list than this. Let's get white-listed data for music providers first, then we can start working on other things.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Love the options that T-Mobile offers.
They are pro customer and pro choice for the consumers instead of coming out with stricter, more expensive and less choices like the big 2 carriers were used to do for years.
Now the rest are forced to follow or be left behind. And competition is a great thing for everyone on any U.S. carrier.
Whoever says its not a good thing is just drinking the coolaid:)

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

:)

Bingo. I have a TMobile line I carry around in my old iPhone 5S. The only time I've had a positive experience with them is in NYC, that's it. Their network is pure junk in the Northeast. It's downright hilarious to watch my TMobile phone drop down to EDGE/GPRS in the middle of Boston while driving around. Almost every underpass, tunnel, etc. No Service/GPRS/EDGE, while AT&T/VZW have no problems with LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.