Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
I have a used MBA and have had it for a couple of weeks now. It has restarted unexpectedly twice now. I searched here and did not find the issue listed. Does not appear to be 'kernel issue' as I get no error messages.

Last edited:

9to5Slavery

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2014
I have a used MBA and have had it for a couple of weeks now. It has restarted unexpectedly twice now. I searched here and did not find the issue listed. Does not appear to be 'kernel issue' as I get no error messages.

I'm having same issue. Did you take apart the macbook air at all?

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Found out how to see a system log via the console; however, it it for today only. How do I explore all of the days since I got this to search for one that had a restart?

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Thank you. Next time it happens, I'll go right to the log file and have a look.

Just curious, did you figure out the issue? I've got an old iMac that locks up occasionally, and I'll be checking the logs next time it happens. I fear its a hardware issue though (and one I probably caused, but that's another story :eek:)

dawgfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Nope. Without knowing the exact days it occurred, I did not want to post gobs of info. Guess I'll wait for it to happen again, then go straight to the log.

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
It just did it at 8:09 CT. How do I grab the part of the log you want to see? This is the 5th time it has happened.

The way he told you is out-dated, I think. Open up 'Console'. Just search for it in spotlight.

Once you're in console, on the left, you should see a list of all the kinds of logs there are. Contract the lists and select 'System Diagnostic Reports'.

Look for something about a panic. Once you have the log file open, go to file > save copy as. Upload a link using a service like Dropbox or other.

sarah362

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
First check your hardware. Then reset your SMC and PRAM and . Also check RAM memory. And boot it in safe mode. If still the problem arises then take the back up of your data and re-install OS X again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.