Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithjfuller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Let me say that I have been a long time Mac owner. Together, my wife and I have purchased four 27" iMacs, 3 15" MacBook Pros, 4 iPads, 5 iPhones, 3 AppleTVs, multiple iPods, and more. However, I am beyond disgusted with Apple's handling of our recent issues.

To begin with, my iMac's hard drive failed. I understand that it happens, so I did not mind. That was until I found out that Apple recalled it, but I was never notified. However, Apple was no longer covering it, so I was forced to replace it myself. Even so, it was a cheap and simple replacement, but it was still frustrating.

The next issue is the one that frustrates me beyond belief. We have a 15" Macbook Pro, and the logic board failed. This is an issue that is well documented on internet forums (including this one) and various websites. Not only that, but our Apple Care ran out only a few months before this happened. Also, we now live in Europe, but since our computer was purchased in the US they won't cover the repair. However, if it was purchased in Europe they would have. The cost of a logic board is over a quarter of the cost of a new computer. To top it off, they replace it with the same problem-ridden one.

I used to understand what the premium price of Apple products got you - amazing hardware, amazing software, and amazing customer service. I understand that it is still much better than probably all other computer companies, but for the price it should be even better.

Since Apple has decided to treat a longtime customer in this manner, I cannot justify giving them one more penny of my money. We have spent nearly $20,000 on Apple products over the years, but they cannot cover an issue as simple as this - an issue that would be covered if the computer was purchased in another country? An issue that is clearly so big a problem that it should warrant a recall...

I want to stick with Apple, but there is no way that I can after this.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well you need to do what's best and of that means leaving, that's your right as a consumer.

Your experience isn't typical, and I'm sorry you had so many issues, but it sounds like you made up your mind

keithjfuller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
it's hard to stick with a company that treats you in this manner. i understand that many people have had better treatment, but i've never experienced any of it.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
did you email Tim Cook? do that and if he won't help you then move on. Maybe he'll be as disgusted as you are. But once you know if the same policy comes from him you can move on knowing the company is not for you. Who knows he may say thats not right I wouldn't be happy either and get someone to help you or worst case he says yes thats company policy can't do anything but atleast you will know for sure.

keithjfuller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
did you email Tim Cook? do that and if he won't help you then move on. Maybe he'll be as disgusted as you are. But once you know if the same policy comes from him you can move on knowing the company is not for you. Who knows he may say thats not right I wouldn't be happy either and get someone to help you or worst case he says yes thats company policy can't do anything but atleast you will know for sure.

ha, yeah - let me give one of the most bigtime people on the planet a call and see what he has to say. i can't believe that the people up top would think that this is ok, but i don't get to deal with the people up top.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
it's hard to stick with a company that treats you in this manner. i understand that many people have had better treatment, but i've never experienced any of it.

Yes, you made that point already. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

I'd recommend searching for a suitable replacement if you're done with apple.

----------

ha, yeah - let me give one of the most bigtime people on the planet a call and see what he has to say. i can't believe that the people up top would think that this is ok, but i don't get to deal with the people up top.

Tim Cook and before that Steve Jobs were known to answer (and help) people when they took the time to email them. It didn't always happen to everyone, but it was often enough that its a viable option.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
I had a similar experience a few years ago.

Needless to say I came back.

With that said, if you're someone who:
1. Doesn't mind using Windows / Linux
2. Is comfortable building their own PC

You'll get excellent value for money from this option. Do take a look at Logical Increments.

keithjfuller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
I had a similar experience a few years ago.

Needless to say I came back.

With that said, if you're someone who:
1. Doesn't mind using Windows / Linux
2. Is comfortable building their own PC

You'll get excellent value for money from this option. Do take a look at Logical Increments.

I totally agree understand. I've always been happy paying the premium because I was extremely confident in the product. I am a photographer, so having an iMac is wonderful (mainly because of the screen), but after this thing goes I'll start looking for alternatives. I just replaced the hard drive a few weeks ago, so I don't plan on this thing biting the dust for a while.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Tim Cook and before that Steve Jobs were known to answer (and help) people when they took the time to email them. It didn't always happen to everyone, but it was often enough that its a viable option.

yep. I'd bet an email to Tim Cook would restore the OP's faith in Apple.

pakupakuman

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
Press your luck

Would you believe some CEOs actually do read their customers' e-mails? I recently wrote to the CEO of a large company (read: listed on the stock exchange) and courteously expressed my (legitimate) concerns, and was called back several days later by a company employee to address my problem, which they solved. Some companies understand the exponential value of customer satisfaction.

If you decide to give it a try, just make sure you're polite and factual. The worst that could happen is that no one answers. And of course, remember that sometimes the answer is still "no", so adjust your expectations accordingly (hope for the best, prepare for the worst).

Good luck on whatever you do. Regards.

Last edited:

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
I just went through an issue with Verizon and emailed the CEO. Of course, the CEO didn't call/email me, but the executive resolution rep did. He took care of me in fine fashion and this from a company not known for excellent customer service.

For those that care, the issue was caused by the CSRs at Verizon not knowing their product line very well. Well, that or maybe being told to push in one direction only... :)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I agree with those saying email Tim. At least give him (or someone directly under him) a chance to make things right.

I emailed the president of Sprint the other day, and he responded to me right away. I was impressed. It is worth a shot, OP.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

lol. Tim Cook must get thousands of emails a day and have issues separating the serious work-related ones from colleagues, and the junk mail sent by customers who think it's okay to casually contact the CEO of a massive multi-national company. That being said, I'm not suggesting he won't reply, but that you'd probably be wasting his time. It's a situation similar to needy, entitled customers who insist on seeing the manager whenever they feel they're not receiving the top level of customer service. People who believe they have a right to skip the monkeys and go straight to the organ grinder. Tim Cook has far more important things to be doing than doing somebody else's job (i.e branch manager) for them.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
lol. Tim Cook must get thousands of emails a day and have issues separating the serious work-related ones from colleagues, and the junk mail sent by customers who think it's okay to casually contact the CEO of a massive multi-national company. That being said, I'm not suggesting he won't reply, but that you'd probably be wasting his time. It's a situation similar to needy, entitled customers who insist on seeing the manager whenever they feel they're not receiving the top level of customer service. People who believe they have a right to skip the monkeys and go straight to the organ grinder. Tim Cook has far more important things to be doing than doing somebody else's job (i.e branch manager) for them.

Of course Time Cook would be overwhelmed with the multitude of email he receives, and that's why folks at these levels have executive assistants who sort through their general email boxes, and staff out issues as necessary. I'm also sure Mr. Cook has his own email aside from the general email box.

I once wrote to the CEO of Compaq, and received a response late Sunday night indicating one of his staff would contact me the following morning. A senior staffer called me first thing in the AM, and personally oversaw the resolution of my issue.

So, it's never a waste of time to go to the top when necessary; and that's after the normal channels have failed to resolve your issue.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

The trouble comes when the people you deal with are not doing a decent job and the won't allow you to contact their boss. I've had that before asking for the email and they said no all complaints go to me. I replied but my complaint is about you.

So your answer is to give up and allow that person to keep screwing people over. The ceo email usually leads to a team that's for sure but it's the highest your going to get which bypasses problem people who don't want you to complain about them.

You don't sound like you run a business because you don't seem to want to know about problems that people could be covering up and driving customers away.

keithjfuller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010

You act like I owe Tim Cook something. He is in charge of a company that I have an issue with. I went to the Apple store, and they were no help. On the feedback section of Apple's site they don't allow enough characters to type my issue. Finally, my Applecare is done, so I will basically have to pay to talk to someone on their help line.

I'll go ahead and send an email, and maybe by some miracle it will receive a response, but I won't hold my breath.

Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly, but I hardly feel entitled and truly do believe that I have a legitimate complaint.

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013

Why would the OP value Tim Cook's time over his own? It's just silly to say that it's wrong to send Tim cook an email (which will be filtered by his staff before he ever has to read it) and god forbid he spends 5 minutes reading it. Are the hours that the OP has spent talking to apple employees trying to get his issues resolved not a waste of his own time? He has every right to go that route since he has already tried dealing with people lower on the rung.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Let me say that I have been a long time Mac owner. Together, my wife and I have purchased four 27" iMacs, 3 15" MacBook Pros, 4 iPads, 5 iPhones, 3 AppleTVs, multiple iPods, and more. However, I am beyond disgusted with Apple's handing of our recent issues.

To begin with, my iMac's hard drive failed. I understand that it happens, so I did not mind. That was until I found out that Apple recalled it, but I was never notified. However, Apple was no longer covering it, so I was forced to replace it myself. Even so, it was a cheap and simple replacement, but it was still frustrating.

The next issue is the one that frustrates me beyond belief. We have a 15" Macbook Pro, and the logic board failed. This is an issue that is well documented on internet forums (including this one) and various websites. Not only that, but our Apple Care ran out only a few months before this happened. Also, we now live in Europe, but since our computer was purchased in the US they won't cover the repair. However, if it was purchased in Europe they would have. The cost of a logic board is over a quarter of the cost of a new computer. To top it off, they replace it with the same problem-ridden one.

I used to understand what the premium price of Apple products got you - amazing hardware, amazing software, and amazing customer service. I understand that it is still much better than probably all other computer companies, but for the price it should be even better.

Since Apple has decided to treat a longtime customer in this manner, I cannot justify giving them one more penny of my money. We have spent nearly $20,000 on Apple products over the years, but they cannot cover an issue as simple as this - an issue that would be covered if the computer was purchased in another country? An issue that is clearly so big a problem that it should warrant a recall...

I want to stick with Apple, but there is no way that I can after this.

I'm sorry to hear of your negative experience. As one who's in the same customer class as you, a decades long Apple customer that's spent well over $40,000, I truly understand how you feel.

While I've not had the well known logic board issue, it's only by sheer luck I haven't since I buy a new MBP at every other refresh. That said I have had a wide range of experiences both positive and negative. Going way back to 1991 when I bought my PowerBook 170, up to 2002 and my PowerBook Ti, customer service and AppleCare were consistently excellent. Yet since then, there's a degree of inconsistencies that I find very disappointing.

It's these rather significant inconsistencies and mixed signals where new or refreshed products are are headed, that have me pondering just how much longer I'll stay.

mdapple

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
not to be a troll, but I'm betting that your still going to buy whatever apple comes out with next.

Just sayin, glad you got your venting done tho

OAK77uk

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Apple/Mac Customer Service via AppleCare

I too, have been a long term buyer of Apple products since the mid 1980s - I have had my share of issues with Apple. Normally it gets resolved but with the last couple of MacBookPros I have lost a lot of work and credibility on, for me, serious Location Work & recently Family illness issues, all of which, AppleCare knew. From the word go with this 'Replacement' MacBookPro Early 2011 17 i7 2.2Ghz 500GB 7200rpm with all the Pro updates including the Matt Screen there were issues, which AppleCare representative Dave Kelly offered, promised then reneged on to Swap Out within the first month and then after a year of emails & recorded messages, I had issues beyond my control, that left me unable to be in contact with Apple: Finally another representative before the 3 year anniversary decided to replace the Logic Board, not once but twice and, once again, with issues beyond my control, I'm starting to have the same fault/issues starting again. Now outside of the 3 Year I did get the Rep to agree to keep an eye on my situation: Today I emailed him (you ever notice how often they're away from their desks for protracted amounts of time!, current Logs/Screen Saves/Notes... There is, here in the UK 'The Six Year Warranty Right' that they will not share with you but for a Professional, in my case, working with Sound & Vision the last thing you want in a take is to have the Fans Blast out a Melody that's not only 'Out of Time' but 'Out of Tune' with anything else going on then only to shut down or do some other very unpredicted thing... Try telling your AppleCare Rep that it's Intermittent - they have no idea what you're talking about and try prescribing Software Issues or other. Something to note: New Solder Methods since Lead was removed means that Fast changes in temperature can cause the Logic Board to have Hair-Line Cracks in the joints hence 'Intermittent'.... maybe this helps. But as to the person who mentioned about Apple - Of course we Love Apple Products but sometimes you have to let a Company that I always felt was Part of the Human System know that you are not happy with their Global Corporation Badge that leaves those who were there for them at the beginning and now they trash on their way to World Denomination.... Okay I've let off my rant now Who's got Tim's Email and or if but who's got Jony Ive's - I mean the lad came from down the road here in Somerset - he must have some semblance of Zumerzet in him don't umm! Come on Jony do the right thing - Exchange this Unit so I can start to praise you back on Twitter OAK77uk

keithjfuller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
not to be a troll, but I'm betting that your still going to buy whatever apple comes out with next.

Just sayin, glad you got your venting done tho

sure, i guess that explains why i bought a motorola phone and samsung tablet. just sayin...

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Why would the OP value Tim Cook's time over his own? It's just silly to say that it's wrong to send Tim cook an email (which will be filtered by his staff before he ever has to read it) and god forbid he spends 5 minutes reading it. Are the hours that the OP has spent talking to apple employees trying to get his issues resolved not a waste of his own time? He has every right to go that route since he has already tried dealing with people lower on the rung.

Was just about to say the same thing myself. We all go to work, have family, and have stuff to do. Tim's time is no more value than anyone else's, whether you are a CEO of another company or flipping hamburgers at Mcdonald's.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
when tim cook first took over , it was reported that he would respond more to emails.

i have emailed tim cook about a couple things, and never gotten a reply.

however. I've noticed that if you write a personal letter and send it snail mail to 1 infinite loop, i actually received replies and calls back from his staff.

back in 2007 , it was juniper bank ( a barclays brand ) issuing cards and i was mad that juniper wouldn't free up your available credit line for 5 or so days after making a payment, and i cancelled the card , i wrote apple about it, and steve job's executive staff called me back to apologize.

now that they are barclaycard and no longer juniper , i haven't experienced this issue

i lost logic boards, superdrives , hard drives, batteries , from apple products going bad. but i always had applecare or squretrade to take care of me

i went through 4 optical drives , i think apple stopped including the optical drives is because they fail to much

one thing that gets under my skin is if my hard disk crashes, they won't let me send in Mac Minis for repairs, because they do not consider it a "portable computer"

i hurt my back, and i was using an ice pack and the ice pack broke open and ruined my macbook air. i had square trade. so it was covered.

i have two dells that got totaled out for accidental damage, and both time i had dell complete care to take care of me. the joke about dell is if i sent back my dell studio xps 1340 for a new keyboard, it would come back with a new keyboard and a new lcd.

when apple decides to cover a repair, like bad capacitors, bad graphics cards, a sticky sleep/wake button, bad iPhone batteries, they take care of you. i never heard of DELL or HP or android phone manufacturers issuing out warranties on manufacturing defects after the original warranty has expired.

if someone buys a macbook pro, and decides not to pay $349 for applecare or $299 for square trade, and becomes unlucky and needs a new motherboard after 2 1/2 years, well, next time get applecare.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.