Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With iOS 8, Apple began allowing third-party keyboards for the first time, and over the last few months, dozens of feature-rich keyboards have hit the market. With an ever-increasing number of keyboard options available, it's becoming increasingly difficult for keyboard developers to stand out

Fleksy, a company that has long had an Android-based keyboard and was one of the first to launch a keyboard for iOS, is aiming to get itself back into the public eye with a major 5.0 update. The new version of Fleksy introduces a slew of features, including several customizable extensions and dozens of premium themes. With Extensions, Fleksy is now able to go beyond simple text insertion, offering additional features that extend Fleksy's functionality.

iOS extensions being offered include GIFs, one-handed typing (for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus), a Number Row, Cursor Control, and Rainbow Key Pops. The GIF feature allows users to browse and share animated images, while Cursor Control allows users to move the cursor using the spacebar.

fleksyupdate.jpg
The Number Row adds numbers to the top of the keyboard, Rainbow Key Pops add a pop of color with each key press, and the one-handed typing feature moves the keyboard to the side of the screen. Users can install up to three extensions at once via the Fleksy app, and Extensions can be changed out at any tie. It's also possible for users to purchase additional slots for $0.99.
"We're unlocking the keyboard's true potential with this update," said Kosta Eleftheriou, Fleksy CEO and Co-Founder. "Keyboards are our primary input method. With Extensions we mean to revolutionize not only text input, but all input; making it faster, easier, and more fun. Why switch back and forth between apps to do things that can be done via the keyboard?"
The updated version of Fleksy is far more customizable, with an additional 30 themes available for purchase. Themes are organized into several different classes including Personal, Trendy, Branded, Dynamic, and Translucent.

Branded themes, for example, include Frozen and Hunger Games, while other available themes offer a variety of different colors. The themes are bundled into packs of two or three and can be purchased in-app for $0.99 to $2.99. Along with the iOS version, Fleksy for Android is receiving many of the same features, along with additional Extensions that allow for text shortcuts and an invisible keyboard.

Fleksy can be downloaded from the App Store for $0.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Fleksy Keyboard for iOS Gains New Extensions, Theme Packs

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I have tried many of these keyboards and I always keep coming back to the stock one as it seems to work the best for me. Am I the only one?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I have tried many of these keyboards and I always keep coming back to the stock one as it seems to work the best for me. Am I the only one?

Yeah it does work the best IMHO, though I'm forcing myself to use Swype for reasons I don't yet understand. I downloaded a Klingon keyboard only to remember I can't speak Klingon. So my experience with third-party keyboards has been fairly tragic, albeit self-inflicted woes.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
I'll stick with the standard keyboard. No need for my data to go to a third party server... o and it works just fine.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Did you try nintype?

Is it possible to try nintype without having to pay $5 for it? After having tried and hated so many of these third party keyboards, I'm wary of paying $5 for another that may end up getting uninstalled instantly. But nintype definitely looks like it has the potential to be the first third party keyboard that I actually like and use instead of the built in keyboard...

As for this Flesky update, why is it on the front page? This definitely isn't worthy of anything other than the iOS blog.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

Yeah it does work the best IMHO, though I'm forcing myself to use Swype for reasons I don't yet understand. I downloaded a Klingon keyboard only to remember I can't speak Klingon. So my experience with third-party keyboards has been fairly tragic, albeit self-inflicted woes.

Same here.

I tried all the popular free ones. Not much I liked. Then when Swype became free thought I'd give it a proper try. So I uninstalled the stock keyboard and tried for a full month. Swyping was novel for a couple of days. But by the end I was just frustrated by the inconsistent auto-correct, and I realised NEVER Swyped, always tapped. It was also slower having to tap and hold to access the emoji keyboard.

So I'm back on the trusty stock keyboard, for me the most accurate and the one I'm quickest with.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is awesome for the kids, I think. For me, however, I will pass.

The stock keyboard works well and I dont have to worry about my data going anywhere else.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Is it possible to try nintype without having to pay $5 for it? After having tried and hated so many of these third party keyboards, I'm wary of paying $5 for another that may end up getting uninstalled instantly. But nintype definitely looks like it has the potential to be the first third party keyboard that I actually like and use instead of the built in keyboard...

As for this Flesky update, why is it on the front page? This definitely isn't worthy of anything other than the iOS blog.

There used to be, but the deverloper Jormy got rid of the Keyboard extentions in the jailbreak community and the Hipjot app which had it built in, was removed from the app store. Probably to get people to buy it. Honestly, if you don't like the app you could always request a refund. It's a little tedious but I couldn't go back to stock keyboard honestly.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I have always liked stock best. Even owing several android phones, I always liked the stock IOS keyboard. I use my two thumbs and rely on auto-correct, and I really feel the stock IOS keyboard is better than anything else in the fashion I use it.

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
nintype doesn't ask for full access.

I'll stick with the standard keyboard. No need for my data to go to a third party server... o and it works just fine.

----------

i'd get rid of my iPhone if i couldn't have nintype.

I had the first public beta release when it was a jailbreak tweak, and i held off on updating to iOS 8 until he started the beta testing just so that i wouldn't have to go without it. typing with anything else feels incredibly primitive.

Did you try nintype?

----------

nintype is like swype but 1000000 times better. it's a perfect hybrid of peck and swype..super customizable if you want, perfectly useable if you don't want to mess with things.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I have, I guess, swype, and while I do like it - it's not always there. Sometimes, the stock keyboard is back (such as for passwords), and sometimes the keyboard fails to appear, and i have to re-launch the app. Other times, I accidentally hit the "globe" icon, and am suddenly at a "smiley" keyboard, which I do not want.

If these keyboards dependably appear, i'd be more interested, but having the extra mental step of "did the keyboard appear, and which one is it?" sucks.

Also, I set up '@@' to be my email address (since everybody asks for it), but it only works in the Stock, so the stock keyboard it is.

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I like the stock keyboard(s) fine, except for one thing... no cursor keys. I find touch-hold-drag to insert cursor kludgy.

Does anyone know of a keyboard app/extension that could add a row of cursor keys to the default keyboards, or that just has cursor keys in general?

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
I've been beta testing it for months prior to its release, and used it as a jailbreak tweak for a year before that, and i too have been pretty disappointed with other keyboards, but this keyboard is so amazing i can't use an iphone without it. if someone hands me their phone to type something i feel paralyzed.

whats your email address.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
I like the stock keyboard(s) fine, except for one thing... no cursor keys. I find touch-hold-drag to insert cursor kludgy.

Does anyone know of a keyboard app/extension that could add a row of cursor keys to the default keyboards, or that just has cursor keys in general?

I thought the keyboard APIs didn't allow for cursor control. Have I been misled?

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

No. A keyboard needs to function every time, and be free of any bugs. None of the third-party keyboards come close.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007

Am I the only one who's also tried many keyboards but bothered not to invest in any of them because - even at the current iOS 8.1.2 - the OS is still so buggy that the third-party keyboard occasionally won't even open, forcing me to force-quit the app and relaunch it just to get it to work?

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
I thought the keyboard APIs didn't allow for cursor control. Have I been misled?

I think it must be part of the API. I looked into Nintype as someone here recommended and it doesn't have cursor keys, but it does have swipe left/right on the space bar to "quickly move the cursor", so there must be a hook between keyboard and cursor.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I tried Fleksy as soon as iOS 8 went live and the overall 3rd-party keyboard support was so flaky I had to stop using it.

The number row is enough for me to give it another try...

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
nintype. you can swipe your thumb left and right on the keyboard to move the cursor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.