Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix customers hoping for offline viewing on their iPad or iPhone may have to wait indefinitely for the feature to be supported by the streaming service. Speaking to TechRadar, Netflix director of corporate communications and technology Cliff Edwards said offline viewing is "never going to happen."

netflix2.jpg
Edwards asserts that offline viewing is a "short term fix" that doesn't address the bigger issue of sparse public Wi-Fi access. In the next five years, Edwards believes the expansion of public Wi-Fi and cellular coverage will make the idea of offline viewing obsolete. With a ubiquitous Internet connection, customers won't need to download as they will be able stream all the time.

Instead of working to support offline viewing, Netflix has been focusing on original programming, with twenty new series planned for the coming years. The company also has been moving forward with 4K content and steadily improving its iOS app, recently adding support for iOS 8 and 1080p HD streaming on the iPhone 6 Plus.

Article Link: Netflix Executive: Offline Viewing 'Never Going to Happen'

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
So if you are looking for a window to defeat Netflix, it seems you have been given five years.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
With a ubiquitous Internet connection, customers won't need to download as they will be able stream all the time.

Instead of working to support offline viewing, Netflix has been focusing on original programming...

Perhaps they need to be working on helping make sure this 'ubiquitous' Internet connection has huge bandwidth and is totally reliable. I see that as a major obstacle to everyone streaming video all the time.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Oh what a shame. I was totally buzzing about watching the 18 shows Netflix offers offline.

Shape up lads. Torrenting is much better than your service.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
With VP9 and H.265 coming, streaming will get a lot easier as less bandwidth is needed. This will help greatly in areas that don't have strong cellular/wifi

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
One more reason not to use NetFlix and one more reason for other venders to offer offline viewing: they'll get switch customers from NetFlix. Netflix's loss.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Torrenting is much better than your service.

If that's your attitude, isn't stealing always going to be "better" than paying for something?

No point in even bothering to try and compete with torrents, the people who aren't willing to pay aren't going to accept any paid option.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
If that's your attitude, isn't stealing always going to be "better" than paying for something?

No point in even bothering to try and compete with torrents, the people who aren't willing to pay aren't going to accept any paid option.

Except, in music at least, this isn’t the case, and those who download large amounts of music also buy more music than those who don’t.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It would be nice for when you're away from Wifi and don't want to use up your data plan, but aw well. :/

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
I definitely understand his short term point, and people hate managing their content, as we learned with the original Apple TV, but I don't understand why they couldn't just encrypt the file and make it only able to be read by the Netflix app on iOS...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Haha certainly not with 200mb to 500mb mobile data limits still being the norm over here. Oh well there are other streaming services that include offline viewing

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
To be fair, wifi equipped airplanes are becoming increasingly common.

When purchasing GoGo WiFi on an airplane, it specifically states you cannot use Netflix with their service. I give it 5 years or a little more before we're able to stream Netflix and other services on planes.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I like Netflix. Use to love them, but all the limitations from the studios means that most good movies aren't available for years. Still, I agree that wifi/cell are becoming better and available everywhere. The original programming is starting to set them apart. And if they get into full length movies, they could potentially shake things up.

But Netflix is still in a bad spot. They don't control the content (except what they are producing) and that is hurting. And they don’t control the delivery which more and more is controlled by those that control the content (aka Comcast/NBC). Netflix is being squeezed on both ends. If they can create enough content of their own, and if Apple ever delivers on a true cable cutting Apple TV, there could be a great match possible.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Who said they aren't willing to pay? Just because they aren't willing to pay for a service that doesn't allow offline viewing doesn't mean they aren't willing to pay for a service that does allow offline viewing. Currently, the only service that "allows" offline viewing happens to be illegal - that isn't a torrenters fault.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
TBH, I would much rather they allow PC/Mac users to select the frame rate/audio being used. As at the moment, if I watch Netflix content on my TIVO, I can get get it playing in 1080/24p with 5.1 sound. But if you try watching the same content on a Mac/PC, from what I can see it will only play at 720/60p with stereo sound.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

I never said I condoned it or even did it. For me, Netflix has a very poor choice of shows for the money and since I live in an area of rubbish internet, the ability to fully download and then view offline will always be preferred.

It is up to Netflix to improve their service so users aren't as tempted by torrents or free streaming sites. Which at the moment, are infinitely better. And free.

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
I have decent 4G in my home town and it's surrounding cities. Plus a data allowance that I never even get remotely close to. If I really want to watch a program on the move I can anyway.

I'd rather they centered on more exclusive programing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.