Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VapoChimmy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Hello all.

So I am wondering, if I get the $999 2014 mini; and I replace the 1TB HGST 5,400 RPM hard drive with a SSD, will it work right?

It appears the Fusion drive in the $999 2014 mini uses a samsung PCIe SSD and uses drive caching. I don't know if it's intel's smart response tech (http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-it-Works-Intel-SSD-Caching-148/ ) or if apple has a different system.

I know the PCIe SSD is faster than a SATA based SSD, but would the replacement of the 5,200 RPM drive with a SSD that is much much faster cause problems with how the fusion drive works? Basically a slightly faster SSD trying to cache another SSD.

I'm thinking about getting the $999 drive because it's faster, but if it turns out that the Fusion drive will prevent me from running all SSD then the $700 mini might be a better choice.

This is what the 2014 mini Fusion drive looks like inside
http://blog.macsales.com/27127-owcs-teardown-of-the-new-2014-mac-mini-with-fusion-drive

This is a guide to replace the HDD on the 2014 non-fusion
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Hard+Drive+Replacement/32815

Mac Mini 2014 teardown
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Teardown/30410

iFixit comments in Step 9
True to our word, we cracked open a Fusion drive equipped Mac Mini, and it looks like our suspicions were accurate.

The empty connector is now filled—by a PCIe cable, glued to the top of the hard drive tray.

The SSD matches the one we found in the MacBook Air 13" Mid 2013 with the same chips:

Samsung S4LN053X01-8030 (ARM) flash controller

8 x Samsung K9LDGY8SIC-XCK0 16 GB flash storage

Samsung K4P2G324ED 512 MB RAM

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
You can uncouple a fusion drive using disk utility. Of course you will lose you data and need to reinstall the os.

Fusion is apple propriety and does not use any Intel tech

More info here

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6406/understanding-apples-fusion-drive

VapoChimmy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
You can uncouple a fusion drive using disk utility. Of course you will lose you data and need to reinstall the os.

Fusion is apple propriety and does not use any Intel tech

More info here

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6406/understanding-apples-fusion-drive
Thanks.

Interesting. So if I replaced the HGST 1TB 5,400 RPM drive with a 1TB SSD. And then uncoupled the drives, I would end up w/ a 1TB SSD and a 128GB PCIe SSD; showing 2 separate drives on the OS?

If I ran bootcamp would Windows 7 or 8 be able to see both drives as well?

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
I'd uncouple the drives first, however , just replacing one drive in the fusion volume will break it anyway and disk util should offer a repair

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
Thanks.

Interesting. So if I replaced the HGST 1TB 5,400 RPM drive with a 1TB SSD. And then uncoupled the drives, I would end up w/ a 1TB SSD and a 128GB PCIe SSD; showing 2 separate drives on the OS?

If I ran bootcamp would Windows 7 or 8 be able to see both drives as well?

I know when they're still coupled together as a fusion drive, that windows can't see the SSD. But I'd imagine that if you separated them first, a bootcamp image would see both drives just fine. The only dual-drive mac I've used is a mini server I've got set in raid for the redundancy. Hence, only a single drive is seen and used.

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Internet recovery will still work. Or you can use a pre made bootable usb stick if you have one.

VapoChimmy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Internet recovery will still work. Or you can use a pre made bootable usb stick if you have one.

Ok, thanks. So I just have to make sure I do that before I do the decouple then.

----------

One other thing I'm noticing is that the articles I've read on decoupling a Fusion drive seem to be talking about decoupling two SATA drives.

From my understading this 2014 mini uses a PCIe 128GB Samsung SSD and a SATA 1TB HGST 5,400RPM mechanical.

Would the fact that it's a PCIe drive and not a SATA drive cause problems with decoupling? I see the 2013 iMac also has a PCIe SSD, does the same decoupling method work on that the same (as decoupling 2 SATA drives in fusion)?

scoobdriver

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Make a usb yes. But Internet recovery will still work after decoupling , it doesn't need a working startup disk. I'd not worry to much , chill out. As long as you can boot to disk utility / terminal you'll beable to sort it out. You can rectify it even if you just take the spinner out without doing anything first.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Ok, thanks. So I just have to make sure I do that before I do the decouple then.

----------

One other thing I'm noticing is that the articles I've read on decoupling a Fusion drive seem to be talking about decoupling two SATA drives.

From my understading this 2014 mini uses a PCIe 128GB Samsung SSD and a SATA 1TB HGST 5,400RPM mechanical.

Would the fact that it's a PCIe drive and not a SATA drive cause problems with decoupling? I see the 2013 iMac also has a PCIe SSD, does the same decoupling method work on that the same (as decoupling 2 SATA drives in fusion)?

I agree with scooby, don't over think it. Fusion is just a logical layer of the OS X file system. It only sees mass storage devices and doesn't matter what the underlying physical connection is. Just for SAG I made a Fusion drive using a USB stick and SD card.

For simplicity sake, delete the Fusion volume and individually format the two internal drives. Pull the spinner out and install your 1TB SSD, format it as a standalone drive. Install OS X on the drive of your choice and restore your data.

If you have an interest in Bootcamp, the 128GB SSD would make a good Windows standalone drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.