Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oo7ml

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Hi,

What's the best way to set up a very simple CMS based system with an app that is powered by Parse.com

For example, i have a 'Latest News' section on my app, and i (admin) want to be able to create news posts each day, that will then appear in the News Section within the app.

Which is the best option:

01 - build a small CMS based system onto the Parse.com backend (is this even possible)
02 - create an external 'Latest News' cms system, such as wordpress, and then call the data from the wordpress system into the app?
03 - create an admin user within the app itself, so that when i login to the app itself, i have the ability to add News Posts to the system (Parse.com database), which are then displayed in the app for all other normal users?

Can anyone offer any advice on this please?

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
In regards to point 1 and 3, it seems doable with parse depending on the size and content of these 'posts'.

If you are going to be the only 'admin' it seems like a lot of work to create an admin section when parse.com has a pretty nice user interface already.

oo7ml

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

Can you confirm how this would be possible with Parse?

Let's say i wanted to add the following News Post:

Title: Welcome To The App
Content: lorem ipsum lorem ipsum lorem ipsum lorem ipsum lorem ipsum
Image: bright-day.png

How could i add this content to the Latest News class / table?

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I'm sure there's a better system to do this than what I am about to suggest. What I do is in my user accounts on Parse, manually create an "admin" property and go in and set my own account as admin and set the default to be NO. Then have your app check to see if the user's admin status is YES. If it is, then it will show an "administrator" button which will take you to a new view controller that will let you add new content.

Again, I'm sure there's a much better solution out there but that's what I've come up with for use in my first major Parse app project.

oo7ml

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Cool, thanks for your reply.

That is exactly what i am planning on doing :)

Thanks again for your help.

DevelopingZack

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2015
User Roles and Hosted Pages

In reference to the "how" of updating user permissions, it would be best to use the built in system.

There is a default object type created every time you create a new App on the Parse Platform. The DataType is called "Role" and its created along with the other ObjectType "User". You can add the users who you wish to have "edit permissions" (allowed to add or edit blog posts) to a role that you make called "Editors". Then Your webpage should display the edit controls to any user in the role, and hide them for anyone not in the role (anonymous web viewers).

But MORE IMPORTANTLY creating a Wordpress site will be much harder than creating a Parse hosted site. They do hosting for free, and allow for you to use a custom domain name (if you want).

By building a site thats hosted on the Parse Platform, you wont have to worry about authentication of your web app (different than authentication of users), or the security of your appkey/secret because all of the app level security is taken care of on the Parse servers.

Unless you're required for some reason to self host, using Parse Hosting is by far the best choice for building a website who's data is powered by Parse's backend.

Even if you don't understand what you're doing, just follow these steps

https://parse.com/docs/cloud_code_guide

and by the end of them you'll have a website that has access to your parse data, and is available on the public web. You will NOT NEED a domain name to complete the short set of steps. :)

@DevelopingZack

oo7ml

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Thanks Zack,

So, are you saying that i can host a website directly on Parse's server which will then obviously have the capability to access the data in Parse database?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.