Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frow3n

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
So obviously I expect some favouritism but I'm looking for an outsiders opinion as I'm completely stuck! I'm aware that both are very good phones its just tough deciding which one to go for!

Currently I have an HTC One M7 from the day it came out and its not my favourite phone to be honest. That said I have invested a heavy amount in the google play system etc. It is worth mentioning that my laptop is a 13 inch Macbook Pro Retina from late 2013 so perhaps I should add that the integration is something that attracts me.
As for photography I occasionally utilise the camera in my HTC but I find that it just wrecks my battery life.

The emphasis here being on which offers better battery life? Perhaps people with both phones could offer their findings.

thanks

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
So obviously I expect some favouritism but I'm looking for an outsiders opinion as I'm completely stuck! I'm aware that both are very good phones its just tough deciding which one to go for!

Currently I have an HTC One M7 from the day it came out and its not my favourite phone to be honest. That said I have invested a heavy amount in the google play system etc. It is worth mentioning that my laptop is a 13 inch Macbook Pro Retina from late 2013 so perhaps I should add that the integration is something that attracts me.
As for photography I occasionally utilise the camera in my HTC but I find that it just wrecks my battery life.

The emphasis here being on which offers better battery life? Perhaps people with both phones could offer their findings.

thanks

6 Plus lasts a little longer then the Note 4 from what everyone says and also me test trialing the Note 4 first before i got the plus and i can agree the Plus has better battery life , (there roughly the same on wi-fi) but the Plus has longer lasting LTE browsing battery life and also better 3G browsing and when using LTE/3g, and also the Plus has better standby battery life time too

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
iPhone 6 Plus vs Note 4

I owned both. I returned the Note 4. It's an awesome phone in many respects, and I truly love Android. I even kind of like some of Samsung's Touchwiz. I just could not get on with the Note camera though. Stellar in bright natural light for still objects, but get into some moderate to low light with a little bit of motion (people, pets, parties, kids) and you're going to end up with a lot of blurry shots. I was really disappointed by this. I then picked up the 6 Plus. There's a lot of compromise using iOS over Android, but the camera is very important to me so it's worth the switch.

Battery life is noticeably better on the Plus. It was pretty good on the Note 4 as well, but I definitely expected better.

That's my take, but your needs and priorities might be very different.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I owned both. I returned the Note 4. It's an awesome phone in many respects, and I truly love Android. I even kind of like some of Samsung's Touchwiz. I just could not get on with the Note camera though. Stellar in bright natural light for still objects, but get into some moderate to low light with a little bit of motion (people, pets, parties, kids) and you're going to end up with a lot of blurry shots. I was really disappointed by this. I then picked up the 6 Plus. There's a lot of compromise using iOS over Android, but the camera is very important to me so it's worth the switch.

Battery life is noticeably better on the Plus. It was pretty good on the Note 4 as well, but I definitely expected better.

If the cameras were the same you would have kept the note and not the iphone?

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
i have owned both of them for about 2 months now and i can honestly say iPhone 6 + hands down and its not even CLOSE.

Patrick Boyle

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Western Montana

What compromises did you make to go to iOS?

zoloacr

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
If you were not limited to these two options, I'd recommend go with iPhone 5S instead. iPhone 6 Plus is more like an 'Samsung-made' device and overall quality is not as good as previous iPhone models to be honest.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It boils down to iOS versus multitasking for me. Which matters more? As much as I have been vocal about wanting multitasking, my iPhone is ultimately my personal line and Android is my work line (not due for upgrade) so I went with iPhone.

I have to admit I prefer the iPhone camera over almost anything else year after year too.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
If you were not limited to these two options, I'd recommend go with iPhone 5S instead. iPhone 6 Plus is more like an 'Samsung-made' device and overall quality is not as good as previous iPhone models to be honest.

Um...what? Have you even used the 6 Plus? The quality is definitely better than the 5S. The build quality is just fantastic, it's much more durable than my 5S was especially for every day use. I've dropped it multiple times and there isn't even a scuff mark. On my 5S every single drop left very noticeable marks.

Patrick Boyle

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Western Montana

Lets be serious here. The iPhone 6 is in a completely different league from Samsung in terms of build quality. There's no comparison in my opinion.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

thanks
According to these reviews note4 gives a better battery life.

http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_6_plus_vs_galaxy_note_4-review-1161p3.php

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4-vs-Apple-iPhone-6-Plus_id3815/page/4

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Yeah OP, why decide between two similarly-sized flagship phones when you can have a smaller previous generation iPhone?

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Lets be serious here. The iPhone 6 is in a completely different league from Samsung in terms of build quality. There's no comparison in my opinion.

The Galaxy Note 4 is a very sweet and solid build. I actually prefer it overall to my 6 Plus. I admit it's the first Samsung device that made me say wow when I picked it up the first time, but they really did a stellar job on the Note 4.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Other battery life tests, iphone 6+ wins most of them.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-note-4-battery-life,news-19770.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8613/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-review/3

Hopefully people don't base a purchase decision on something so amorphous as battery life; as it's so variable.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Other battery life tests, iphone 6+ wins most of them.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-note-4-battery-life,news-19770.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8613/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-review/3

Hopefully people don't base a purchase decision on something so amorphous as battery life; as it's so variable.
Don't forget anandtech ONLY test Web surfing battery drain at full screen brightness. Obviously under this scenario note4 will perform worse due to more white screen when surfing. But if you do a video playback test note4 will triumph the 6+.

If you average out under normal use I think you will get about pretty similar battery life for both note4 and 6+.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Don't forget anandtech ONLY test Web surfing battery drain at full screen brightness. Obviously under this scenario note4 will perform worse due to more white screen when surfing. But if you do a video playback test note4 will triumph the 6+.

If you average out under normal use I think you will get about pretty similar battery life for both note4 and 6+.

So pick your testing scenario and then pull the results from the internet that shows the testing bias you want to portray.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Anandtech actually tests at around 200 nits in brightness, not full brightness so i dont know what your talking about, the 6 Plus obviously has better battery life by just looking at the specs on paper, its easy to see this and in real life its known the 6 Plus gets a bit better battery life then the Note 4, espcially noticeably longer when gaming

Note 4 gets less browsing battery life time due to the mere fact that the 6 Plus display is 50% more energy efficient when displayings whites(all over when you browse and most websites are white background)

Note 4 gets a minor edge when video playback, roughly a hour or so advantage there but both get over 10-11 hours of video playback already so in reality this advantage for the note 4 wont shine

----------

thanks

The 6 Plus easily offers better battery life, it is one of the best phablets if not the best phablet in its size and catorgory that has the best battery life, as for camera, its a toss up really both Not 4 and 6 Plus have top notch cameras and the best in the industry as of right now

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
So pick your testing scenario and then pull the results from the internet that shows the testing bias you want to portray.
I picked the sites that does more comprehensive test than just Web surfing like anandtech.

Now you are accusing those sites I posted are bias just because they show note 4 perform better. Typical of you.

----------

Anandtech actually tests at around 200 nits in brightness, not full brightness so i dont know what your talking about, the 6 Plus obviously has better battery life by just looking at the specs on paper, its easy to see this and in real life its known the 6 Plus gets a bit better battery life then the Note 4, espcially noticeably longer when gaming

Note 4 gets less browsing battery life time due to the mere fact that the 6 Plus display is 50% more energy efficient when displayings whites(all over when you browse and most websites are white background)

Note 4 gets a minor edge when video playback, roughly a hour or so advantage there but both get over 10-11 hours of video playback already so in reality this advantage for the note 4 wont shine

----------

The 6 Plus easily offers better battery life, it is one of the best phablets if not the best phablet in its size and catorgory that has the best battery life, as for camera, its a toss up really both Not 4 and 6 Plus have top notch cameras and the best in the industry as of right now
According to GsmArena in video playback note4 left the 6+ in the dust. But of course I would expect the typical you will response that site fudge the data to make 6+ looks bad.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Hehe, the pro-samsung anti-apple posts, sound like they were written by the exact same people that write pro-samsung anti-every-other-brand-of-SSD posts on the other forums I go to.

There are plenty of ways to trial both phones. :) Why not a Nexus 6? You get a large screen and pure Android, and don't have to rely on stupid carrier updates, Touchwiz, or the bloat that comes with it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I picked the sites that does more comprehensive test than just Web surfing like anandtech.

Now you are accusing those sites I posted are bias just because they show note 4 perform better. Typical of you.

----------

According to GsmArena in video playback note4 left the 6+ in the dust. But of course I would expect the typical you will response that site fudge the data to make 6+ looks bad.

Insults with a smiley face don't cut it.

Anandtech is a highly regarded site and sure all these things can be picked apart. you certainly are entitled to your opinion, even if it goes against the universe.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
Work assigned me a Note 4 to use. I hate it. I only use it for work calls and email. Everything else I do with my personal iPhone 6+. And after work that POS Sammy gets chucked in the drawer. UGH!!!

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

----------

You mean the widely known unreliable GSMarena testing who doesnt even disclose their testing unlike other tech websites, And how most other battery tests from other tech websites dont really line up with GSMarenas results?

Yeah, its too bad even though you handpicked results you were still hard pressed to find anything good

20nm Apple A8>>> 28nm S805, this is obvious, the general consensus agrees and shows the 6 Plus on average has better battery life, this is obvious by just looking at the spec sheet, the 20nm Apple A8 is noticeably more power efficient then the Note 4's S805, and also the 6 Plus gets almost double the gaming battery life of the Note 4, while having better GPU performance and longer sustained performance from the Plus over the Note 4,(note 4 throttles back way early, and performance goes down)

6 Plus has better browsing and wifi battery life times, offers almost 2x longer battery life when gaming also and has the Note 4 also beat on standby time while the only advantage the Note 4 has is a little longer lasting battery life in video playback only...so how exacty again does the Note 4 have better battery life in day to day usage? :rolleyes:

Both still have stellar battery life though and are great

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.