Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of iOS 8.2 to developers, just over a week after seeding the second beta and one month after releasing the first iOS 8.2 beta.

The beta, Build 12D5452a, is available immediately to registered developers as an over-the-air update and it can also be downloaded from the iOS Developer Center. Today's update also includes Xcode 6.2 beta 3 with WatchKit.

ios_8_2_beta_3.jpg
According to the release notes, iOS 8 beta 3 fixes several bugs including an issue that caused opening Messages conversations to take a long time and a missing emoji button in iOS Simulator. It also includes two fixes for WKInterfaceController methods: openParentApplication:reply: now launches the containing app in the background when the iPhone (or iOS Simulator) is unlocked or locked and presentTextInputControllerWithSuggestions:completion: is now fully supported in iOS Simulator.

iOS 8.2 includes the WatchKit SDK, allowing developers to create apps, Glances, and notifications for Apple's upcoming wearable device ahead of its 2015 launch. The first iOS 8.2 beta, with WatchKit SDK and developer documentation, revealed several new details about the Apple Watch, including its heavy reliance on the iPhone and the different types of content developers can create for the device.

Update: It appears the latest beta reintroduces blood glucose tracking in the Health app and adds new descriptions for various Health app features.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third iOS 8.2 Beta to Developers

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
This 8.2 is going to be more on par with last years "7.1". This years 8.1 was basically like a 8.0.3. Can't wait to see all the features of iOS 8 without any major glitches/problems. That's when we will love it! For now it's not there yet.

rmadera

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
This 8.2 is going to be more on par with last years "7.1". This years 8.1 was basically like a 8.0.3. Can't wait to see all the features of iOS 8 without any major glitches/problems. That's when we will love it! For now it's not there yet.

You have no idea how much I'm hoping this is the case with 8.2.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Frustration

I'm not a developer, so I can't be sure....but damn it must be frustrating, especially this far into IOS8, to get early access to a version, report the bugs........and then see it released with alot of the same bugs.

I just want my screen to rotate properly and have my standard issue keyboard not lock up when going from portrait to landscape.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
DL.

Wasn't this beta expected mid january ? Seems like Tim Cook has the iOS division busy this holiday season.

rmadera

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
Anyone else STILL experience reboots when entering multitasking sometimes? iPad Air 2 here.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I really don't understand why Apple continues to simply ignore the huge keyboard issues. These aren't even related entirely to 3rd party keyboards. In Messages if I try to take a picture rather than use one I already have the keyboard won't dismiss so it's impossible to actually see anything.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I really don't understand why Apple continues to simply ignore the huge keyboard issues. These aren't even related entirely to 3rd party keyboards. In Messages if I try to take a picture rather than use one I already have the keyboard won't dismiss so it's impossible to actually see anything.

The lagging keyboard on the iPad Mini and iPad 2 are particularly bad.

Edit:

After installing it and playing around with it for a bit I can see big improvements in typing speed as well with overall Safari performance. Animations seek a lot smoother as well (at least for A5 based iOS devices)

Last edited:

LeoNatan

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2013
Is the Control Center bug gone? (Where if you summon CC and then dismiss it quickly the shadowing effect glitches out)

Still there, as well as all other known bugs. A clear focus is Watch, with everything else getting a major backseat.

rmadera

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
Still there, as well as all other known bugs. A clear focus is Watch, with everything else getting a major backseat.

That's what I've noticed recently. Apple's quality control has definitely declined since about last year. So many small bugs and sloppiness that take away from the overall experience.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I agree ^. Apple's bug squashing has become a joke with iOS and I'm starting to think that Scott Forstall leaving was the beginning of the worst of it.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
No. Restore from iTunes backup (on my Mac). I just don't get why a clean install is even considered a solution. Shouldn't it "just work"? Clean install or not? Don't remember iOS 6 EVER rebooting on iPad.

Well with betas, things change and get altered more than production code. If you are a developer (you should be if you are installing betas) you should understand why betas are fundamentally different than production software.

**** it, test it in production.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Oh, yeah, about time they got around to fixing that "...missing emoji button in iOS Simulator." ... rolling eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.