Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
UPDATE 2: Apple has called me and they have not been able to replicate it. The woman explained that it passed all they're hardware tests and she believes that the issue lies with something related to my data. Maybe a program with bad code or something else corrupted on my drive. She even mentioned replacing my computer but she believed I would have the same issue with it again if I restored all my data to it.

While I'm disappointed, I do understand that they simply cannot replace a computer without evidence of an issue. The sad thing is that I truly believe it will FAIL entirely within the 90 day depot warranty due to the awful replacement boards they are putting in these machines.

UPDATE: I had my appointment and the result wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I wasn't able to reproduce anything for the genius in person so he insisted he keep it for a few days to run extended diagnostics on it before he decided what to do.

My fear is that they won't be able to replicate it and will tell me there's nothing wrong with it. The last 2 times I had proof in pictures and screenshots. This time I do not have that since it happens for only a split second at a time and then goes back to normal.

OP: I posted about 2 weeks ago about how upon picking my computer up from it's second repair the genius said, "If you have any issues, be sure to bring it back and we'll get you a more permanent solution."

I'm on my third logic board now and I'm already seeing occasional graphical glitches. I called apple today to explain my frustration. The rep told me I would need to take it to the genius bar but he did leave me one nugget of hope just like the genius did.

The rep explained that during my visit, it would be very possible that they would replace my MBP with a similarly spec'd computer.

I replied with "what, like a new or refurbished 2011 model?"

He hesitantly said "something like that"

He was clearly being vague on purpose and he probably couldn't get too detailed without risking getting himself in trouble.

Anyway, the point is, if you have a 2011 15" or 17", be diligent but polite and you may eventually get yourself a replacement machine.

Last edited:

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
You're getting a retina, they do not have 820-2915 based machines to give you.

Also the reason your "repaired" board kept dying is they are not using new chips, just heatgunning the F out of the old ones. New chips don't die in 90 days...

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009

Also the reason your "repaired" board kept dying is they are not using new chips, just heatgunning the F out of the old ones. New chips don't die in 90 days...

BTW, saw your video regarding this machine. Very informative. Thanks!

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
The best thing any of you can do is furmark the reflowed/reballed **** that Apple gives you back until it dies, and get a retina.

You either

a) Pay $300 for a retina

b) Pay $300 for a retina, sell it for $2000, spend $1400 on a 2012 model MBP with an 820-3330 board, and pocket $300.

So you can spend $300 for a retina, or PROFIT $300 while upgrading to ivy bridge 2012 machine.

Either way, you win. So long as you don't actually intend to keep the POS they give you as a "repair."

Reactions: AleXXXa

Queen6

macrumors G4
The best thing any of you can do is furmark the reflowed/reballed **** that Apple gives you back until it dies, and get a retina.

You either

a) Pay $300 for a retina

b) Pay $300 for a retina, sell it for $2000, spend $1400 on a 2012 model MBP with an 820-3330 board, and pocket $300.

So you can spend $300 for a retina, or PROFIT $300 while upgrading to ivy bridge 2012 machine.

Either way, you win. So long as you don't actually intend to keep the POS they give you as a "repair."

Completely agree, Apple should be replacing all these failed 2011 MBP`s with new machines as they are all fundamentally flawed, not repairing bad product with, reconditioned boards that are very likely to prematurely fail.

I am from the energy industry (Oil & Gas) predominantly drilling; one of our studies observed refurbished boards were found to be 7-10 times more prone to failure, and here we are talking about 10`s of K USD per board and potential losses in the millions. Immediate recommendation was to cease all use of refurbished boards, for obvious reason.

Q-6

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Proper refurbishing can work. If they were replacing the affected chips you'd get years out of it, but all the reports of them dying weeks or 2 months after repair reek of them just getting heatgunned to death.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Praesto

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014

Similar specs means it could be a MBA if the specs are the same.

I don't know the specs off the top of my head..

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Similar specs means it could be a MBA if the specs are the same.

I don't know the specs off the top of my head..

Similar specs would also mean a dGPU, so I will not accept an Air as a replacement.

My appointment is in a few hours, will report back after.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Similar specs would also mean a dGPU, so I will not accept an Air as a replacement.

If they replace it with a new one, they would have to replace it with a minimum of the 2.5/16/512/750M variant of the rMBP.

If you BTO-ed your 2011 15" with an upgraded processor and a 750GB drive, they would have to give you a 2.8GHz variant and 1TB SSD (it happened in where I live).

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Depends on your choice and needs. But I wouldn't mind a 2012 cMBP, that could be upgraded with 16 gigs of ram and an SSD. But I'm sure others would call me silly. But as I said, your needs and choice are all that matter.

Praesto

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
UPDATE: I had my appointment and the result wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I wasn't able to reproduce anything for the genius in person so he insisted he keep it for a few days to run extended diagnostics on it before he decided what to do.

My fear is that they won't be able to replicate it and will tell me there's nothing wrong with it. The last 2 times I had proof in pictures and screenshots. This time I do not have that since it happens for only a split second at a time and then goes back to normal.

Just keep taking it back in if the problem persists. They will give you a new computer, happened to a friend of mine.

What the post below mine says.

If they replace it with a new one, they would have to replace it with a minimum of the 2.5/16/512/750M variant of the rMBP.

If you BTO-ed your 2011 15" with an upgraded processor and a 750GB drive, they would have to give you a 2.8GHz variant and 1TB SSD (it happened in where I live).

Mr. Bleach

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2014
I would take a screen shot with your computer or with another device of the problem the next time you get it. Then you can show the geniuses and be on your way to a solution. That's what I did when my machine had a graphics issue and that got me a new board on my late 2008 which I might add am still using now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.