Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I bought an iPhone 5S at a local GSM shop in Europe, one of those typical small looking GSM shops in Europe in which they sell everything from Samsung, BlackBerry, to Apple phones.
The guy at the shop had to order it from an external company or distribution center or something like that.

Anyways, how can I make sure that my iPhone is unlocked or not?
I don't have any spare nano SIM cards from another carrier laying around.

There are sites like IMEI.info and many others, but they are paid versions.

Is there free online site that I can check if my iPhone is unlocked or not?

If not, then I can call the GSM shop from were I bought the phone and ask them instead.

Thanks

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
well, you better get your hands on some kind of nano sim, because if you don't have a nano sim, you won't be able to activate the phone. you can't set it up without a nano sim , any kind of nano sim needs to be installed or its a brick

any reputable gsm shop should have some extra sims laying around
it doesn't need to be an active one

i was shopping around a independent cell phone shop here one time, just window shopping, and they had a glass jar stuffed with sim cards

cuongnq

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2014
I bought an iPhone 5S at a local GSM shop in Europe, one of those typical small looking GSM shops in Europe in which they sell everything from Samsung, BlackBerry, to Apple phones.
The guy at the shop had to order it from an external company or distribution center or something like that.

Anyways, how can I make sure that my iPhone is unlocked or not?
I don't have any spare nano SIM cards from another carrier laying around.

There are sites like IMEI.info and many others, but they are paid versions.

Is there free online site that I can check if my iPhone is unlocked or not?

If not, then I can call the GSM shop from were I bought the phone and ask them instead.

Thanks

Try check iPhone carrier and Factory simlock here. Also can check model and blacklist too. But only initial carrier you can determine iPhone is locked or unlocked.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I do have a SIM in my phone.
As a matter of fact, the SIM was on my BlackBerry Z30 (was also bought from the same shop) and I managed to cut it to a Nano SIM.
The question is, if the phone itself is unlocked or not.

The site tells me SIM Lock: UNKNOWN

I guess the guy is able to tell me. So I will call the shop to ask.

Thanks anyways for the help.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.