Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Was looking for a good backup program as my .Mac subscription is about to expire. Paid for SuperDuper and I am quite happy with it.:eek:

However its interface is complex and probably does more than I need. But then again I might get a firewire external hard drive to boot off in the future and might want to create bootable images.

However I am wondering would Carbon Copy Cloner have served my needs.:confused:

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Carbon Copy Cloner is great, but only if you want to make a full clone of your drive. If you selectively backup it looses its worth quickly.

Right now I use Lacie silverkeeper to do my backups. It is free and says it makes bootable backups although I haven't tested that. I find it easy to use and flexible in what it copies. It is also very easy to set up automatic backups.

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
I have both SuperSuper! and CCC on my iMac. I use CCC mostly, but wish Apple would release a lite version of Backup for all users.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I use SuperDuper partly because I like the interface - I love that it tells me exactly what it's going to do and what the results are.

I've restored from it on occasion and booted from it and all has worked perfectly.

The real benefit for me and why I paid for it, was the incremental backup functionality. Cuts down the time of making a regular backup by a huge margin.

I'd say it was probably overkill if you're not creating full-back ups. If you are, it's wonderful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.