Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I am new to jailbreaking. I'm getting ahead of myself, but once a new update appears from apple, how do I go about updating the phone? I understand I have to wait until that software is jailbroken, but do I upate (losing jailbreak in the process) and re-jailbrake or is there a way to upgrade and keep my tweaks? Or am I stuck on 8.1.2 forever (just kidding)?

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I am new to jailbreaking. I'm getting ahead of myself, but once a new update appears from apple, how do I go about updating the phone? I understand I have to wait until that software is jailbroken, but do I upate (losing jailbreak in the process) and re-jailbrake or is there a way to upgrade and keep my tweaks? Or am I stuck on 8.1.2 forever (just kidding)?

You need to restore with iTunes. I always put the phone into DFU mode and restore. As far as tweaks I always make that a good time to start over, just reinstalling what I need to. But there is apps in Cydia to backup and restore tweaks.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Ok so a DFU restore then. Will that wipe my phone? Would I be able to then restore from a backup?

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Just clarifying, if I update to 8.2, will it let me restore a 8.1.2 backup?

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
The way I do it is just update through iTunes. Keeps all your tweak settings. Once updated just jailbreak again and install your tweaks are everything will be fine don't do a restore. Too much work.

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
The way I do it is just update through iTunes. Keeps all your tweak settings. Once updated just jailbreak again and install your tweaks are everything will be fine don't do a restore. Too much work.

You do know that each time you do it that way, you lose half a gig in storage space? Take a backup, restore in iTunes, and then restore backup. It doesn't make sense to cut corners.

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
How do I loose ½ a gig? I've done this on a 16gb iPhone many times to no detriment

Remnants of the previous jailbreak are still left behind. You absolutely are losing storage space each time you do it that way. It even tells you in cydia that in order to upgrade "with the best use of disk space" first restore in iTunes.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Remnants of the previous jailbreak are still left behind. You absolutely are losing storage space each time you do it that way. It even tells you in cydia that in order to upgrade "with the best use of disk space" first restore in iTunes.

That is true that remnant are left behind. However, everything in the system partition of the disk is replaced. Meaning any jailbreak app, Cydia, and any tweaks library is erased. The remnants are the preference files which are what the OP basically wants if he wants to keep jb data. I think no themes also persist, but again, the op clearly wants to preserve as much as possible.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
It's all your own preference, sure files are left behind, but wether that will ever make a bit of difference? Probably not really.

Me, I just like starting over fresh. Makes me feel better:D.

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
That is true that remnant are left behind. However, everything in the system partition of the disk is replaced. Meaning any jailbreak app, Cydia, and any tweaks library is erased. The remnants are the preference files which are what the OP basically wants if he wants to keep jb data. I think no themes also persist, but again, the op clearly wants to preserve as much as possible.

More than the preference files are saved when you hit upgrade (restoring the backup restores those anyway). Cydia adjusts your file system and moves files around. Those files (as it's not a straight 1:1 replacement) get left behind. And you lose about 500 MB of storage space.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Don't touch erase button on the phone, if you are already jailbroaken.
Only restore.....and yes, everything will be deleted.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

That's a very bad idea and advised strongly not to by jb devs.
You want to risk it and do it the lazy way go for it but others should not listen to the above advice.
If you want a stable and solid phone and jb always restore to stock ios and then jb and install your hacks again.
Do not do what the user above suggests.

curiousgg

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2010
So to clarify:
Back up device to iTunes
Restore (not update) via iTunes to new iOS
Jailbreak
Restore via iTunes to backup

??

What happens if you don't DFU?

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Probably nothing, but to make it as clean as possible, DFU is no. 1

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
So to clarify:
Back up device to iTunes
Restore (not update) via iTunes to new iOS
Jailbreak
Restore via iTunes to backup

??

What happens if you don't DFU?

DFU really only needed if you've corrupted the OS like if you tried Erase on a JB device. Restore perfectly fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.