Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcc212

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Just noticed this guys. Read a topic with a bunch of people saying the same:

When using your camera for a photo indoors, the photo is as expected, good, and quite bright actually.

When shooting a video, in exactly the same place, at the same time with the same light conditions, the video is dark and horrible. As if I'm wearing sunglasses whilst watching the video back. Changing brightness level does nothing.

Can anyone else with an iPhone 6/6+ check this out?

Conditions are dark outside, indoor lights on fully.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Just noticed this guys. Read a topic with a bunch of people saying the same:

When using your camera for a photo indoors, the photo is as expected, good, and quite bright actually.

When shooting a video, in exactly the same place, at the same time with the same light conditions, the video is dark and horrible. As if I'm wearing sunglasses whilst watching the video back. Changing brightness level does nothing.

Can anyone else with an iPhone 6/6+ check this out?

Conditions are dark outside, indoor lights on fully.

its like that with all smartphone cameras, being in camera mode will pick up much more light, but once you go to video mode it picks up less light, has something to do with the aperature/focal length, whatever, when going from camera to video but that is completly normal behavior for smartphones, all of them. including mine, does the same exact thing and I too have always wondered why it does that

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
its like that with all smartphone cameras, being in camera mode will pick up much more light, but once you go to video mode it picks up less light, has something to do with the aperature/focal length, whatever, when going from camera to video but that is completly normal behavior for smartphones, all of them. including mine, does the same exact thing and I too have always wondered why it does that

Not just phones, cameras in general. As I understand it photos don't need as much light because they use longer shutter speeds. Letting more light in longer is what makes images brighter. Video being shot at 30, 60 whatever frames per second has to be a under a certain speed or else you'll get too much motion blur. With photos its not always as important or apparent.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
As others have said, it comes down to shutter speed. You can get away with say a half second shutter on photos, but when video is trying to record at 30 or 60 frames per second, that is obviously not doable, and the frame rate can't be lower than 1/30 or 1/60 or else you get stuttering.

That's why you should never use 60fps and especially not 120/240 in poor light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.