Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chub

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
This probably isn't much of an issue, but I've noticed the storage tab of "About This Mac" isn't displaying the correct usage of storage. From what I can see roughly 50GB of storage has been used but the storage breakdown bar seems to suggest otherwise. In the meantime my Applications folder only appears to be about 20GB in size.

bcdKIiz.png

I guess this isn't exactly a massive issue but it does seem rather annoying, and if only requires an easy fix I'm happy to do it.

Thanks all.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Don't know what might be going on but I recommend an app called Disk Inventory X. That will give you a good breakdown of what's using space on your drive. Much better than this simplistic Apple display.

Chub

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Don't know what might be going on but I recommend an app called Disk Inventory X. That will give you a good breakdown of what's using space on your drive. Much better than this simplistic Apple display.

According to Disk Inventory X I appear to be using 50.9GB of space which would seem to be correct. Therefore I can only believe their must be an issue with the storage breakdown of the actual "About This Mac" information.

It would look as though the only way to make it go away would be to do a fresh install, although the issue itself doesn't appear to be causing any other problems. Thanks for the help.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
^^ Yep... OP Bruno has got you fixed up. That Spotlight index gets corrupted and makes that readout all wrong. Just reindex Spotlight and that should fix it.

Chub

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Thanks for the advice, that above link seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.