Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft is hoping to lure MacBook users to its Surface Pro 3 with a new site that's aimed at users who are considering switching from an Apple laptop to one of Microsoft's surface tablets.

Launched over the weekend, Microsoft's "Making the Switch" site includes sections on Windows basics, questions and answers on transitioning from a MacBook to a Surface Pro 3, content migration, and using a Surface Pro 3 with an iPhone, iCloud, and iTunes.

microsoftsite1.jpg
In the section dedicated to current MacBook users, Microsoft includes several tips on how to perform basic functions on a Surface Pro 3, like right clicking, searching, accessing system settings, installing applications, and more. The site also covers viruses and replacements for FaceTime and iMessage, with Microsoft recommending Skype over the Apple options.

microsoftsite2.jpg
Microsoft often tries to attract iPad and MacBook users to its line of Surface tablets, and has a history of publishing ads that compare its products to Apple products. In 2013 and early 2014, Microsoft focused heavily on anti-iPad ads that compared the tablet to the Surface 2, but after the May launch of the more powerful 12-inch Surface Pro 3, the company moved on and began targeting Apple's MacBook.

Most recently, Microsoft launched a November "Winter Wonderland" holiday ad that highlighted the Surface Pro 3's versatility compared to the MacBook Air, pointing out the tablet's kickstand and touch screen. Microsoft has run quite a few anti-MacBook ads over the course of 2014, featuring the Surface Pro 3's abilities to function as a full-on notebook computer, with the tagline "The tablet that can replace your laptop."

Article Link: Microsoft Launches Site to Lure MacBook Switchers to Surface Pro 3

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
At least MS is trying to innovate

iOS on the iPad is a blown up iPhone OS and the MacBook line has been boring for years

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Not working

Walked by the Microsoft Store. 3 Customers, HOLIDAY SHOPPING SEASON...that's it...LOL!

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Are they giving them away - otherwise.

Completely satisfied where I am now - but thanks for the offer.

----------

Walked by the Microsoft Store. 3 Customers, HOLIDAY SHOPPING SEASON...that's it...LOL!

I walk by the one in the Mall of America all the time. Its like PRIMO space by a HUGE entrance and it is still empty.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
I hate the Microsoft ads for the Surface Pro 3. They are pretty terrible.

But the product itself is surprisingly good. I do a lot of coding and photography (in that order), and the machine serves me better than my old rMBP. Also less of a burden on my back...

As for a tablet replacement - not so much because the Windows app store is still pretty terrible. But, I do have Android on it via Ami DuOS which works really well.

Looking forward to the SP4. And unlike the previous versions of the Surface, I actually see Pro 3s in the wild...

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
"..with Microsoft recommending Skype over the Apple options."

You mean the option of using Skype on the Mac as stated right there in the surface 3 information about Skype?

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I'm sorry but I have never liked the comparison ads from MS (although the one above is their best work and works well). They early ones seemed to compare unimportant things such as a touch screen yet don't compare more important aspects such as price (as a similarly speed SP3 w/ keyboard will cost quite a big more than the MBA). Then there is other thinks such as when they compare the RAM, yes the hardware is equal on both (4GB vs 4GB) but the software on the Mac side zooms ahead here with RAM compression allowing for theoretically 6GB of data to be used within a 4GB stick.

I'm so glad that MS are never one of my clients for making adverts, because I would end up creating an Apple advert haha

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Y'know what? I think MS makes some very good points.

I think if Microsoft forget the OEM model they've had in the past and start doing their own thing with 'reference hardware' the more they will improve. The Surface 3 is actually quite good. It's not the right product for me right now, but it's a step in the right direction.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
In the commercial...I don't get why he's so fascinated with the kick stand out of everything.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Here is Microsoft's issue... The process to do everything on the Surface Pro (and Windows in general) is much more lengthly/difficult than Mac. Even on this site, nearly every one of the "points" MS is trying to point out has 1 paragraph for the Mac and 2 for the Surface Pro.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
"..with Microsoft recommending Skype over the Apple options."

You mean the option of using Skype on the Mac as stated right there in the surface 3 information about Skype?

One of my other gripes, you can run this software on the Mac but you can't run Apples software on the PC. Very important argument on the iOS vs Android, as you get all of the Google Apps (Chrome, Google Now, Maps, Gmail, OK Google...) but you can't get any of the Apple apps on Andorra such as the snappy Safari and such ;)

ignusfast

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
I bought a Surface Pro 3, and I really like it. It's a great little machine for doing development on the go. It's incredibly portable and decently fast, but too hard to use in some cases; it's actually less convenient than using a full laptop. The biggest problem is that it's impossible to use the stupid little typecover on your lap!

I might sell it and buy a Yoga 3. :)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I love my Surface Pro 3.

This is coning from someone who has owned numerous MBPs in the past. When I saw the SP3, I knew I was getting this over any MBP or Air. I have not regretted that decision.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Boring?

At least MS is trying to innovate

iOS on the iPad is a blown up iPhone OS and the MacBook line has been boring for years

"Boring"? You mean it's a mature system that usually allows people to use the computer for the purpose of buying it, which is often producing a digital good of some sort?

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I would really like to see the full power of MacOSX on my full range of devices. Yes, on my iPodTouch I don't expect to be doing a whole lot of Adobe Illustrator work but all the applications from iOS and MacOSX should seamlessly work across all the hardware. My MacBookPro's screen should have touch and I should be able to simply remove the screen from the unit to have it become my tablet. Waste of materials having both a MacBookPro and an iPad completely separate and total waste not being able to use applications and data across them.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Love how they fail to mention that the surface doesn't have an x86 processor so it's not a desktop-class computer. How can they even compare the macbook air and the surface? different uses.

hmm? im pretty sure it does. thats one of the selling points of it, that it combines tablet functions but when you want to do "real work" i.e classical desktop-style computing, you have the full windows on it with all the apps you're used to. this is a great option for a lot of companies that have been using windows since the 90s and are too conservative to switch to mac and want to retain all their old software

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Love how they fail to mention that the surface doesn't have an x86 processor so it's not a desktop-class computer. How can they even compare the macbook air and the surface? different uses.

The average punter that would actually consider buying a Surface is doing spreadsheets, and probably Word. They're not going to care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.