Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Went to the drive through and I said Apple pay and when he pulled the machine to bring it out the window it came unplugged and took a few minutes to reset. I was just sitting there face palming. I just paid with cash after that. So embarrassing. Never again.

cogitodexter

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Naaaaaaarfolk, England
So because someone else managed to accidentally unplug their NFC payment reader, you're face-palming and never going to do it again?

I think your standards might be a little bit unreasonably high.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
So because someone else managed to accidentally unplug their NFC payment reader, you're face-palming and never going to do it again?

I think your standards might be a little bit unreasonably high.

Agreed. Using Apple Pay through a drive through doesn't sound like the best idea to me.

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I used it for the first time at McDonald's today. I didn't have any trouble. I did have a problem at Michaels, but I shrugged it off and used the debit card instead.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why were you, the buyer, embarrassed? If you ordered a burger and the person bringing it up tripped and dropped it on the floor, would you never order said burger again either?

Obviously you can do whatever you want but one bad experience doesn't a bad system make IMO.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
This one time, at the bank, the teller dropped my cash AND my debit card in the same transaction. I swore I'd never use either again.

/sarcasm

Saskataper

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Does apple pay save a receipt on the phone? I went through the Mc'Ds drivthru yesterday for a couple coffees. Paid using the "tap" nfc with my MasterCard and didn't think to look at the amount. I got to the pick up window and they tried to give mea whole meal, they got the cars mixed up, once they straightened it out they handed me close to $30 cash as a refund.
Just shows how easy it is to get lazy about such a fast easy payment option, having receipts on the phone would be nice so you can double check how much you just tapped away.

B's iPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Where it's cold
This one time, at the bank, the teller dropped my cash AND my debit card in the same transaction. I swore I'd never use either again.

/sarcasm

Same thing happened to me back in the day.
No doubt you face palmed.
Times have definitely changed though.
Nowadays **** comes unplugged in the drive through and you can't go back afterwards.

más sarcasmo

:)

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
If this prevents you from going to McDonalds then it was a good outcome I think.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I try Apple Pay at eery place that has the PayPass or Apple Pay symbol on the scanner. It is still early days for stores and I'm sure it takes time and money to get things up to standards, especially in small, rural areas like where I live. If my iPhone doesn't work, then I just get my credit/debit card out and pay. No biggie.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apple creates elevated, sometimes very unrealistic expectations with their incessantly constant hype. This in turn sets up their customers that buy into it, the assurance of a disappointing outcome.

Most amazing is how these same individuals do just what Apple does. They point the finger of blame on anyone or anyplace other than their beloved Apple. The company that in their eyes is perfect.

Apple outsmarts them again.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Agreed. Using Apple Pay through a drive through doesn't sound like the best idea to me.

Properly trained, it should be seamless. See McDonald's training manual below. However, it's most likely simply posted on the wall and they get no actual training.

mcdonalds-apple-pay.png

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/13/mcdonalds-apple-pay-training/

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Apple creates elevated, sometimes very unrealistic expectations with their incessantly constant hype. This in turn sets up their customers that buy into it, the assurance of a disappointing outcome.

Most amazing is how these same individuals do just what Apple does. They point the finger of blame on anyone or anyplace other than their beloved Apple. The company that in their eyes is perfect.

Apple outsmarts them again.

Hundred percent correct. Apple should have sent out longer extension cords to all McDonald's.

/s

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
This is an Apple based forum where members help other members with problems or perceived problems. The negativity plastered everywhere is of no use to anyone, and certainly unwanted by everyone except of course the trolls that initiate it and or thrive on it.
Nothing is perfect.
Deal with it.

bcc212

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I'm going to give some negativity. As an Englishman, this is a ridiculously impractical idea.

If you have to remove a card from your wallet to make a payment, just do it! There are indeed the same amount of steps to making an apple pay transaction than a normal debit card! It takes roughly 10 seconds to pay by card. It works, just stick with it, or pay by cash.

I'm not sure on the legal implications, but using it whilst driving would be illegal here too. That and you look like a major idiot using your phone to pay for something.

iPhone will be able to wipe your arse next... And it will make a **** job of that too.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I'm going to give some negativity. As an Englishman, this is a ridiculously impractical idea.

If you have to remove a card from your wallet to make a payment, just do it! There are indeed the same amount of steps to making an apple pay transaction than a normal debit card! It takes roughly 10 seconds to pay by card. It works, just stick with it, or pay by cash.

I'm not sure on the legal implications, but using it whilst driving would be illegal here too. That and you look like a major idiot using your phone to pay for something.

iPhone will be able to wipe your arse next... And it will make a **** job of that too.

Putting impracticality aside, it's far more secure to use Apple Pay.

http://mashable.com/2014/10/23/apple-pay-is-more-secure-than-your-credit-and-debit-cards/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.