Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Floppy Cloud is branded as a file management app that allows users to manage their files from a Dropbox account or FTP server. However, MacRumors' sister-site TouchArcade has found that the app allows users to easily emulate Nintendo and Super Nintendo games.

floppycloud-e1419296068236.jpg
Floppy Cloud emulator image via TouchArcade
It's masquerading as a file management app, which technically lets you manage your files, but if you let it "manage" a .nes NES ROM or a .smc Super Nintendo ROM in a very special way: It'll load right up inside of the appropriate emulator. Both iCade and MFi controllers are supported too, making this a particularly sweet find for someone who owns any kind of controller accessory.
The app imports the .nes NES ROM or .smc Super Nintendo ROM via Dropbox, allowing a user to "manage" the file. However, when one of those two files is selected for "management", an emulator pops up and allows users to play Nintendo and Super Nintendo video games. Traditionally, Apple has taken a strict stance on emulators in the App Store, taking them down as soon as they can.

In late 2011, just before the holidays iTunes freeze, the iMAME Arcade Emulator appeared in the App Store. Two days after arriving, Apple pulled the app from the App Store. Floppy Cloud, however, has been in the App Store since October 30, likely because the app appears to be a simple file manager and that doesn't bring up the emulator until a game has been imported and selected.

This past May, GBA4iOS, a Game Boy emulator that bypassed Apple's App Store restrictions as it could be installed directly to a device via the project's official website, was shut down due to a Digital Millennium Copyright Claim from Nintendo.

Floppy Cloud is a universal app currently available in the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Update 1/23 3:30 PM PT: The Floppy Cloud app has been removed from the App Store and is no longer available for download.

Article Link: Super Nintendo Emulator 'Floppy Cloud' Sneaks Into App Store [Update: Removed]

Switchfoot

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2004
This is why we don't have nice things.

I like to think the developers wait till they've gotten as many sales as they can through whispers/word of mouth, then leak the ability to toucharcade and Macrumors as a last 1-2 days of downloads and profit before getting pulled.

Ctrix65513

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Been waiting for a hidden tethering app to slip through forever now. This gives me hope.

or just bite the bullet and jailbreak.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I like to think the developers wait till they've gotten as many sales as they can through whispers/word of mouth, then leak the ability to toucharcade and Macrumors as a last 1-2 days of downloads and profit before getting pulled.

I'm curious as to whether or not Apple actually gives them the money from the app. The developer knew what they were getting into before it was reviewed. Then again, Apple let it slip through, so...

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
A substantial waste of $2 towards an obviously scammy developer. I'm sure it works, but the only options to put in files are to give it Dropbox credentials or use FTP (which is unencrypted). It supports neither iTunes File Sharing nor Open In. These are telltale signs of nefarious activity.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Bought it to try it out... why are there Google Ads on a paid app? Yuck. Will try out the emulator function soon. After Apple takes it down they'll still make some advertisement money. Heh

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
A substantial waste of $2 towards an obviously scammy developer. I'm sure it works, but the only options to put in files are to give it Dropbox credentials or use FTP (which is unencrypted). It supports neither iTunes File Sharing nor Open In. These are telltale signs of nefarious activity.

Or maybe those other sharing methods are coded differently to where Apple might've caught on during the review process?

So many apps suppose FTP and Dropbox, so I doubt there's anything weird going on.

playspeed

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
I recommend make an anonymous Dropbox account, transfer rooms there by an anonymous session in a browser (Incognito in Chrome / Private in Safari)... And then connect to the Dropbox...

Also, so it doesn't open .sfc, but .smc-s are seem to work :)

aleXXXps

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
It works, but working with files functionality is limited can't transfer from iTunes or "open in another apps", so basically you can only transfer files from Dropbox or an FTP...

Just rename the extension at the end from sfc to smc and then they load fine.

playspeed

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
WOW I discovered that if you rename sfc, to smc, it is also supported! So now I can play Zelda! :):):)

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
Or you can just jailbreak for free.

And certain other apps check for such and refuse to work (or at least they did the last time I jail broke something (was turning a old 3GS into a device for a child (essentially a touch) and Direct TV refused to load on a jail broken device).

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Why can't you just use the default tethering? I've never had a problem with it..

It requires your carrier to support tethering on your account - something that is not universal. Because of this, people don’t want to pay their carrier for this service and want it for free.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.

Dropbox uses tokenization, so atleast this rout is fairly secure. I have not looked into your FTP claims. A burner Dropbox account or one with nothing important in it would make use of the app safer.

What is worrying is that ROMs, not created by the user from an actual cartridge, could contain malicious code. Even with sandboxing, this could be a problem. It is the sort of thing I'd expect in a Gibson novel, but on this scale would have little praticle application.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I recommend make an anonymous Dropbox account, transfer rooms there by an anonymous session in a browser (Incognito in Chrome / Private in Safari)... And then connect to the Dropbox...

An even easier method is to use an app like DiskAid and drag and drop the Roms into the Local folder.

----------

It works very nice on my iPad Mini. My SteelSeries Stratus works beautifully with it too. Having lots of fun. :D

The ads are not in-game. I'll live with that.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'm probably gonna buy the Stratus (just been waiting for a good reason to do so). The on screen controls are actually good but they don't compare to a controller.

----------

Dropbox uses tokenization, so atleast this rout is fairly secure. I have not looked into your FTP claims. A burner Dropbox account or one with nothing important in it would make use of the app safer.

What is worrying is that ROMs, not created by the user from an actual cartridge, could contain malicious code. Even with sandboxing, this could be a problem. It is the sort of thing I'd expect in a Gibson novel, but on this scale would have little praticle application.

I have 100's (1000's?) of roms I acquired years ago. They're working beautifully, and I doubt anyone could have coded something malicious to work in this instance...but I appreciate your concerns! That would be an interesting Trojan (or whatever it would be called).

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Thanks for the heads-up, I'm probably gonna buy the Stratus (just been waiting for a good reason to do so). The on screen controls are actually good but they don't compare to a controller.

Yeah, having to use on screen buttons is why I never last very long with emulators. I got my Stratus refurbished, looked just as if it were new (to me), so can't complain about saving $20 on it. Easily have done at least a day worth of smashing the buttons on it at this point, heh.

I have DiskAid/iMazing too. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.