Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As work on Apple's Campus 2 in Cupertino has continued throughout the fall, the spaceship-shaped structure has rapidly grown from basic foundations to the beginnings of an actual structure. Now, thanks some aerial shots recently taken by AppleInsider's DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus drone, the construction site appears to be moving along rapidly with concrete slab poured around the ring of the structure and a few dozen cranes working across the site.

Campus2.ring_.122114.jpg
As noted by AppleInsider, the earth-built ramps previously used to gain access to the site are now gone following the installation of the concrete floor. Instead, work on an underground channel access has begun, with plans to connect the main employee entrance off of Wolfe Road to the garage underneath the main structure and the two above-ground parking garages.

One of the biggest advancements to the campus worth noting is the separate 120,000 square foot "event center" that is costing the company around $161 million and will house an auditorium and product demo space for the company's media events. The outline of the primarily underground structure has received more definition alongside a surrounding bank that will eventually be tree-lined.

The parking facility, which includes an underground segment, is also rising rapidly, and is currently built up to the third level. It's the first of two similar structures being built that will together provide parking spaces for over 5,000 cars visiting the campus.

Campus2.parking.122114.jpg
Though construction has continued steadily throughout the last half of 2014, the Apple's Campus 2 obviously still has a long way to go until completion. Besides the main "spaceship" structure, event theater, fitness center, and parking garages, Apple also submitted revised plans in October adding a few offices, testing facilities, and additional parking garages onto the second phase of construction. The complete campus is expected to be finished by the end of 2016.

Article Link: Apple Campus 2 Construction Progresses as Parking Garage and Event Theater Take Shape

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Nice to see the progress. I remember in the renderings that there were lots of apple trees in the center of the ring. Looking forward to seeing the truck loads of trees being shipped in as they work on the landscape. Probably in the summer, I am guessing.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
From these aerial shots, the whole complex appears MASSIVE. Can't wait until they are done with it.

Do we think that they will move all current employees into the new building/campus when it's done? I'd like to know, because my cousin is friends with and went to college with a guy who now works there. Perhaps a tour is in my future? ;)

Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Wait ... there's a parking garage?

I would have thought that there would be a bus stop and a bunch of bike racks, given Apple's commitment to the environment. :p

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I really hope that Apple are putting together a comprehensive documentary about the building of this campus. Fascinating stuff.

SonicSoundVW

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
Michigan, USA
Anybody else having problems with Vimeo and youtube videos lately? Every time i see a Vimeo video embedded in a web page i always see the message "Invalid meta for Vimeo".. ???

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder who's moving into this building and who's staying at One Infinite Loop? Which campus will the executive team be located at?

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I really hope that Apple are putting together a comprehensive documentary about the building of this campus. Fascinating stuff.

I'd be very interested in something like this as well. I'm sure upon completion of the project that the media frenzy will be massive.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
These overhead shots really help to put into perspective just how big this campus is going to be. I mean, the street shots are cool, but getting to see how far along a road the campus goes, or comparing the size of the "space ship" to a building close by is a big help.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Oh, the timing.
With soldered RAM, really nice Android smartphones out there, and an exhausted bag of tricks (left overs from Steve Jobs), Apple will have the nicest executive office rental to pay the bills.

----------

I wonder who's moving into this building and who's staying at One Infinite Loop? Which campus will the executive team be located at?

Local residents looking for the nicest executive offices in the area. One Infinite Loop will offer the most competitive rates. :cool:

Last edited:

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007

I would have thought that there would be a bus stop and a bunch of bike racks, given Apple's commitment to the environment. :p

Apple uses all of the above.

A dedicated entrance on the east side will be dedicated to buses and shuttles.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Oh, the timing.
With soldered RAM, really nice Android smartphones out there, and an exhausted bag of tricks (left overs from Steve Jobs), Apple will have the nicest executive office rental to pay the bills.

The troll is strong in this one.

----------

Does anyone see this and wonder what will happen when the start downsizing?

They have enough cash that even if the business falters they won't go out if business for decades.

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009

With over 12,000 employees and parking for 5,000 cars there will be many bike racks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.