Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The_Interview_2014_poster-250x370.jpg
Sony Pictures recently attempted to enter talks with Apple over distributing its highly-anticipated film "The Interview" on iTunes, reports The New York Times. The report notes that Apple showed no interest in the offer, which came shortly after Sony Pictures announced that it would be canceling the wide theatrical release of the movie after being threatened by hackers.
It remained unclear, however, whether any on-demand service would take "The Interview." According to people briefed on the matter, Sony had in recent days asked the White House for help in lining up a single technology partner -- Apple, which operates iTunes -- but the tech company was not interested, at least not on a speedy time table. An Apple spokesman declined to comment.
Sony announced yesterday that it would be showing "The Interview" at select independent cinemas, with Sony Entertainment Chairman and CEO Michael Lynton noting that the company is "continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theaters so that this movie reaches the largest possible audience."

The movie has been the subject of controversy throughout the later half of 2014, as it depicts two journalists attempting to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un under the guidance of the CIA. The hacking of Sony Pictures and the movie's cancellation prompted widespread reaction, with U.S. President Barack Obama calling the latter move a "mistake."

Article Link: Apple Said to Have Declined Offer From Sony to Host 'The Interview' on iTunes

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Meh. To my opinion Apple should take sony offer, with the publicity around this film,
it could very well made some good income for itunes.

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
I think they should have probably considered that this was inevitably going to leak, and that their lack of a statement is going to be turned into something political, when "being political" is exactly what they wanted to avoid.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
"Sony Pictures announced that it would be canceling the wide theatrical release of the movie after being threatened by hackers."

Hackers: "We know that your random number generator always returns 4, and we aren't afraid to use that knowledge!" :p

Yeah, I know that's old PS3 news, but what is it with Sony being hacked so frequently?

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
It's a shame. It's not a movie I want to see bad enough to go see it in theatres but I would consider downloading it from iTunes and watching it with friends

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
A hacked sony email released today reveals this has all been a publicity stunt for what is effectively a really poorly made and scripted movie. The leaked email from sony shows how they conspired to drum up publicity to atleast make some money back. Outside theatres interviews find 99.9% of people say "I wouldn't have come if they hadn't pulled it. Im only here because I can't think for myself... it must be a great film. When the movie hits the rental stores it breaks box office records. Twitter is later filled with hashtags #thatmoviesucked #whydidIbother #nowondertheypulledit #feelsuchanidiot #itwasjustapublictystunt

Ken Kaniff

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2014
Connecticut
http://www.theinterviewstream.com

It's interesting that this article is posted at this hour of the night. To me anyways.

The whole thing reeks of a publicity stunt. There are plenty of reasons why it wasn't and couldn't have been the DPRK hacking Sony.

Just Hollywood doing what they do best..propaganda and marketing/hype..

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I thought Sony had their own UltraViolet storefront. At least they have one place that can't (read most likely won't) say no to them. I guess this speaks to Apple's market presence that they'd go to a competitor with something that could have been unique and a draw to their own store.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
IMO, this whole "North Korean hacking" of Sony is one of the most brilliant third party promotions of a suck movie to get back investment capital.

If it ever comes down that Sony was an Accessory Before or After the Fact of this alleged hack, some say that this could be a Treason or International Fraud crime. Inquiring minds want to know.

Apple dodging this hot potato is a good move. At least they don't stream Barbarella.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I thought Sony had their own UltraViolet storefront. At least they have one place that can't (read most likely won't) say no to them. I guess this speaks to Apple's market presence that they'd go to a competitor with something that could have been unique and a draw to their own store.

They do but no one uses it.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
Why would they??

The movie is most likely top stupid it is on level of Dump and Dumpier.

-I hope some one makes similar movie how to get rid off Gatorade people.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.