Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
I was doing some reading, and someone said that the reason android is not as smooth as iOS is because android runs in something like virtual box but with iOS, it is run natively on the phone.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
I was doing some reading, and someone said that the reason android is not as smooth as iOS is because android runs in something like virtual box but with iOS, it is run natively on the phone.

their animation implementation is different. android will never be fluid. animation design also plays a huge part.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
their animation implementation is different. android will never be fluid. animation design also plays a huge part.

Never read this before can you explain?

Op, from what I understand what you say was the problem with dalvik run time. The switch to ART with its beta in kit kat and standard in lollipop was supposed to address that

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Is this why android is so 'laggy'

That is not a true statement. I have a Note 4 with no lag and it is very fluid. I had a Nexus 6 with zero lag and very fluid as well.

Last edited:

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011

Unfortunately you are incorrect, and I would bet that you really don't know what you are talking about. Am I incorrect?

ART was designed to fix the perceived lag that people refer to here, and so was material design (aka the animations used).

iOS and Android have ALWAYS lagged....but both operating systems approached this lag in a different way. In my opinion, iOS used to (as in past tense) hide this lag better with smoother and more fluid animations.

With lollipop...that is no longer the case. I have both a six plus and a nexus 6. The nexus 6 is the smoother phone, by just a hair (the six plus has a few random areas that lag ever.single.time.).

Honestly...with lollipop I believe android has surpassed iOS on most fronts...and it isn't far behind on any front. I can't say that for tablets though...the iPad is still king in my opinion.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

With lollipop...that is no longer the case. I have both a six plus and a nexus 6. The nexus 6 is the smoother phone, by just a hair (the six plus has a few random areas that lag ever.single.time.).

Can I ask where ? I honestly have had no lag or stutters on my iPhone 6 plus either. Though I have reduced motion enabled, I never have experienced any issues in regards to performance.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Unfortunately you are incorrect, and I would bet that you really don't know what you are talking about. Am I incorrect?

ART was designed to fix the perceived lag that people refer to here, and so was material design (aka the animations used).

iOS and Android have ALWAYS lagged....but both operating systems approached this lag in a different way. In my opinion, iOS used to (as in past tense) hide this lag better with smoother and more fluid animations.

Honestly...with lollipop I believe android has surpassed iOS on most fronts...and it isn't far behind on any front. I can't say that for tablets though...the iPad is still king in my opinion.
poor Blue
I'm afraid you will get a lot of hate mails now :)

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Can I ask where ? I honestly have had no lag or stutters on my iPhone 6 plus either. Though I have reduced motion enabled, I never have experienced any issues in regards to performance.

I don't know what affect reduced motion will have on the experience...though if people are doing this for performance reasons...it shouldn't have to be done in such an expensive phone (not saying that is why you enabled this).

I constantly, every single time, experienced lag when I went to the all tabs display in safari. This would happen the first time, every single time, until the animation was cached. I also noticed some rotation lag in areas of the operating system. My biggest problem was the memory management, though. The constant refreshing of web pages really limited what I could/wanted to do with my phone. Some of these problems were present on my wife's six.

I am in no way calling the iOS experience bad. I am just tired of everyone hailing it has the best thing since sliced bread...its great, without it and Apple's vision smartphones wouldn't be what they are today....but that was then and this is now. Android is an extremely fluid, versatile, and well managed operating system that runs on some of the best hardware out.

Lollipop has the ability to still away iOS consumers more than ever. For example...my wife LOVES iPhones and hated android. I got her a moto x over black Friday, just to try out. Now she has sold her iPhone 6 and plans on keeping the Moto X. Why did she do that? She loved both phones, but the moto x offered a bit more (32 gb of storage vs 16),but most importantly the moto X cost much less. I think that is the biggest problem Apple faces. It isn't a problem that will be readily apparent right away....but the days of high profit margine devices may be numbered. We will see I guess.

I sure people will hate me on this forum for saying so....just like people would over at android central if I posted how awesome iOS is in the note 4 or nexus 6 forum.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I don't know what affect reduced motion will have on the experience...though if people are doing this for performance reasons...it shouldn't have to be done in such an expensive phone (not saying that is why you enabled this).

I constantly, every single time, experienced lag when I went to the all tabs display in safari. This would happen the first time, every single time, until the animation was cached. I also noticed some rotation lag in areas of the operating system. My biggest problem was the memory management, though. The constant refreshing of web pages really limited what I could/wanted to do with my phone. Some of these problems were present on my wife's six.

No people are not enabling reduced motion for performance issues, I merely indicated I enable it because I prefer cross fades than swooshing animations.

Never had any rotation lag, I have experienced a few apps getting confused with landscape mode such as Google play newsstand on iOS.

Again no stuttering here either in tabs on Safari, I tend to have only have two tabs open max, rarely use a lot of tabs on any smartphone device be that android, iOS or WP though.

I hear people say they have these issues and feels alien to me because I'm not having them. Likewise memory management wise I can't say there's a big difference between my alpha, Moto x 2014 or iPhone 6 plus despite their differing OS and ram configurations. By far the worse device I had this year for reloading / forced refreshing was the Galaxy S5 and it has double the memory of the IPhone 6 & 6 plus. This wasn't just a problem in browser tabs but throughout the whole OS on the device.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
No people are not enabling reduced motion for performance issues, I merely indicated I enable it because I prefer cross fades than swooshing animations.

Never had any rotation lag, I have experienced a few apps getting confused with landscape mode such as Google play newsstand on iOS.

Again no stuttering here either in tabs on Safari, I tend to have only have two tabs open max, rarely use a lot of tabs on any smartphone device be that android, iOS or WP though.

I hear people say they have these issues and feels alien to me because I'm not having them. Likewise memory management wise I can't say there's a big difference between my alpha, Moto x 2014 or iPhone 6 plus despite their differing OS and ram configurations. By far the worse device I had this year for reloading / forced refreshing was the Galaxy S5 and it has double the memory of the IPhone 6 & 6 plus. This wasn't just a problem in browser tabs but throughout the whole OS on the device.

The reduced motion may play a role, as many people on this forum cite that as a way to prevent any noticeable lag.

I notice the webpage refresh difference quite often between my iphone 6 plus and nexus 6. That may just be me.

The galaxy s5 didn't make it 14 days with me. Touchwiz was a ram hog...but its interesting you don't notice a similar experience with the alpha. Does it have more memory?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The reduced motion may play a role, as many people on this forum cite that as a way to prevent any noticeable lag.

I notice the webpage refresh difference quite often between my iphone 6 plus and nexus 6. That may just be me.

The galaxy s5 didn't make it 14 days with me. Touchwiz was a ram hog...but its interesting you don't notice a similar experience with the alpha. Does it have more memory?

No the alpha has same 2gb as S5 but I think Samsung aren't running quite as much bloat underneath the skin meaning there is just that extra wiggle room apps need. Likely the 720p resolution and octa core are also helping too though.

Here's the tabs in my Safari

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
No the alpha has same 2gb as S5 but I think Samsung aren't running quite as much bloat underneath the skin meaning there is just that extra wiggle room apps need. Likely the 720p resolution and octa core are also helping too though.

Here's the tabs in my Safari
YouTube: video

Couldn't be any smoother.

Maybe it was because the number of tabs I typically have in the background. Who knows...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Couldn't be any smoother.

Maybe it was because the number of tabs I typically have in the background. Who knows...

Maybe, I think when issues pop up we like to assume everyone must have the issue, but likewise just because it's always seemingly perfect for me, I have no reason to doubt others who are having a differing experience. :). There's certainly variation and of course could entirely depend on what sites were looking at, how many tabs and so forth, therefore the parameters can be very individualised too. But yeah in general for me the 6 plus has been nothing but a smooth lag free experience thankfully :)

Indeed so much so the 6 plus has totally replaced my iPad mini at this stage too.

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Never read this before can you explain?

Op, from what I understand what you say was the problem with dalvik run time. The switch to ART with its beta in kit kat and standard in lollipop was supposed to address that

No the guy you quoted had it right.

iOS puts UI updates as to prioritize on the processor. This means everything else is paused so the UI looks more fluid. Android has UI at normal privatization which means it competes for resources like other running processes. It is closer to how a desktop works. iOS like he said hides it in the name of looking good. Reality is the are causing the system to lag else where.

Mix this with iOS still only does sudo multi tasking making it even harder for resources to be competed over and insane memory management where it will crash apps unexpectedly in getting resources.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Complete nonsense. I bought my first Android device (Nvidia Shield) a few weeks ago and I haven't experienced one bit of lag. In fact, I find it much smoother than iOS.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
No the guy you quoted had it right.

iOS puts UI updates as to prioritize on the processor. This means everything else is paused so the UI looks more fluid. Android has UI at normal privatization which means it competes for resources like other running processes. It is closer to how a desktop works. iOS like he said hides it in the name of looking good. Reality is the are causing the system to lag else where.

Mix this with iOS still only does sudo multi tasking making it even harder for resources to be competed over and insane memory management where it will crash apps unexpectedly in getting resources.

Ah yes I am aware of iOS' prioritization of ui above all else. I wouldn't have worded it like beosound though specifically to animations, he acts as if there are no disadvantages to that method . Your post better illustrates the pros and cons of apples full stop ui priority

I agree that both os's lag, well really all OS's lag

Imo reduce tansparancy is required on first gen iPad air iOS 8.1.2 for best performance

Silly transparency effects pushing the gpu to slow your device down enough to push you to upgrade to the air 2, meh. Planned obsolescence through irreversible iOS updates always breathing down your neck

Last edited:

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007

Lollipop is good, a big improvement on Android but it doesn't solve the underlying problems of the OS.

Working with both a Moto G and Nexus 6 running lollipop. They both have UI lag in areas where it shouldn't. You can open the app drawer fine and smooth, then close it and it lags. Often you will tap either an app or a button and there is a delay in that action actually happening. The basic task of having a line animate across the screen can be a pull your hair out moment because its not smooth, even for such a basic task.

ART makes some nice improvments but its not even close to what Google promised.

Lollipop with just basic OS smoothness doesn't really come close to the iPhone 6 Plus and is many time behind the 6.

The 6 Plus would be even more smooth (Closer to the 6) if Apple didn't have everything rendered at 1242 x 2208. But the A9 should take care of that.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Lollipop is good, a big improvement on Android but it doesn't solve the underlying problems of the OS.

Working with both a Moto G and Nexus 6 running lollipop. They both have UI lag in areas where it shouldn't. You can open the app drawer fine and smooth, then close it and it lags. Often you will tap either an app or a button and there is a delay in that action actually happening. The basic task of having a line animate across the screen can be a pull your hair out moment because its not smooth, even for such a basic task.

ART makes some nice improvments but its not even close to what Google promised.

Lollipop with just basic OS smoothness doesn't really come close to the iPhone 6 Plus and is many time behind the 6.

The 6 Plus would be even more smooth (Closer to the 6) if Apple didn't have everything rendered at 1242 x 2208. But the A9 should take care of that.
Both the nexus 6 and the six plus have lag. To say it isn't even close is either biased or incorrect.

Also...the six tend to perform a bit better than the six plus....

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Where do you guys see lag on the iPhone 6+? I recently went back from the ip6+ to a note 4 and one thing I will highly miss is how fast the ip6+ was. My note 4 on ATT was fairly laggy, but the one I have now is Tmobile and it's pretty smooth although Ihaven't used it much yet, so I'm assuming much of the lag on my prior one was from ATT bloatware.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Tab refresh syndrome and reloading of apps that should still be cached in ram. It's not the processor that is the problem in this case, but having to reconnect and download any content again, network lag so to speak as a result of iOS software strategy / 1 gig ram

The processor is insane, the bottlenecks are elsewhere imo

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Where do you guys see lag on the iPhone 6+? I recently went back from the ip6+ to a note 4 and one thing I will highly miss is how fast the ip6+ was. My note 4 on ATT was fairly laggy, but the one I have now is Tmobile and it's pretty smooth although Ihaven't used it much yet, so I'm assuming much of the lag on my prior one was from ATT bloatware.

Yeah I'm not seeing it myself anywhere on my plus... Its honestly like they are describing a completely different device to the one I'm using .... If anything my experience if the 6 plus is just as smooth as my 6 was. I see no difference in performance and UI response over it.

Even the video I posted earlier of safari, no force reloading and all smooth in multiple tabs for me in everyday general use.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah I'm not seeing it myself anywhere on my plus... Its honestly like they are describing a completely different device to the one I'm using .... If anything my experience if the 6 plus is just as smooth as my 6 was. I see no difference in performance and UI response over it.

Even the video I posted earlier of safari, no force reloading and all smooth in multiple tabs for me in everyday general use.

Even though I don't see any lag on my 6+ I have to disagree on the tab reloading, mine is pretty bad and that's one of the 6+'s Achilles heels IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.