Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themetnut

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2014
Does anyone here have both an iPad air 2 and an iPad mini 2/3? Is it crazy to have both?

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
It depends. Most people would tend to heavily favor one over the other, making it a little crazy. Maybe you wouldn't. Maybe you'd find a good usage balance between the mobility of the mini and the screen real estate of the air 2. It just depends on how you plan to use them.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have the Air 2 and rMini 2. I take the mini with me when I go out and use the Air at home. I prefer the large screen on the Air, but it doesn't fit in my purse and I love the portability of the mini.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
I have an iPad air 1 and a mini 2 verizon. I use the mini 2 when out and the air at home.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I have the air 2 and mini r 2. Mostly use the air and every now and again "feel sorry" for the mini and dig it out for a couple of hours. I did intend to use the mini as an e reader but have bought the kindle voyage.

themetnut

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2014
Thanks for your input guys, we will see what I get for Christmas, hopefully it's a lot of best buy gift cards!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have the iPad Air 1 and mini 3. I use the mini whilst I'm out and about and the air at home. Sometimes even when I'm at home I choose the mini over the air, for example when I'm in bed.

themetnut

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2014
I've been torn between the iPad air 2, and either selling or keeping my iPad mini 2.. I almost want to just have both. I have an att sim card in my mini, could I just take it out and put it in the new iPad or would I have to go to the att store for that

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I've thought of selling my mini 2 and getting the 3 but for just the fingerprint sensor don't think it's worth it. Like the idea of 128 gb though!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
The size of the use case niche that you can justify for devices that cost hundreds of dollars each is the amount of money you have to blow on them. Billions of people make do with none, millions with just one....

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I've been torn between the iPad air 2, and either selling or keeping my iPad mini 2.. I almost want to just have both. I have an att sim card in my mini, could I just take it out and put it in the new iPad or would I have to go to the att store for that

You can just take out the SIM and put it into your new iPad. If you get an Air 2 hold onto the Apple SIM for possible future use.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I have both. The Mini is used at work, where the full-sized iPad (even the slimmed-down Air) is too large to bring. I have the full-sized iPad at home, and mostly use it around the house. In my case, the iPad Mini and its casing becomes contaminated at work, such that I don't care to use it too much around the house... at the same time, because I have both, I'll tend to bring the Mini with me if I leave the house and want to have an iPad with me.

If I weren't using one of the two iPads as a work device, could I justify having both? If only one person is using them, I'd say no. The Mini is certainly easier and more comfortable to carry around, but the iPad is still a very mobile device. If you're incredibly wealthy then perhaps you could justify having each device to fulfill the role where they excel, but otherwise I'd choose one and choose based on how I planned to use it (Mini if I wanted something to bring around frequently, full-sized iPad if I'd probably use it at home more frequently and only occasionally need to bring it out).

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I had a Mini 2 and the Air 2. I recently sold the Mini 2 thinking I did not really need it anymore. But then I missed it and was able to get a Mini 3 for only $80 more then what I got for my Mini 2 at Best Buy and bought the Mini 3. I love using the Mini 3 while traveling (train and airplane) and Air at home. I find the Mini the perfect size for ease of use while commuting while the Air 2 screen is just incredible and a pleasure to use. Nobody needs 2 iPads but there is definitely a benefit to having both. I may sell the Air 2 and get a Pro next year if the price is not ridiculously expensive.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Apple smart case. It is carried in a zippered compartment in my purse or travel bag when not it use, so it is protected from drops.

ALE5510

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2015
Depends on the use made of it. I have a 128gb ipad air 2 LTE and Saturday I have to go get an ipad mini 2 (Mini 3 does not make sense to me, € 100 for touchid).
The mini is more manageable, to take with you every day, while the ipad air 2 being more bulky (in my case very cumbersome because I use a logitech custody anyangle) I'm going to use it mostly at home.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Those who use their mini for work/travel, what case (if any) do you use?
Otterbox Defender. It adds a fair amount of bulk and weight but protects the screen and the device. I work in the healthcare setting and need to wipe it down with bleach wipes regularly; I wouldn't be comfortable wiping down the main iPad, but the Defender casing handles it well (although I've already had a few panicked staff remark to me "uh, I don't think that's a good idea..." as they watch me wiping, until they realize that the case covers everything). As an added plus, I use my iPad with a stylus for writing. The Defender casing protrudes upward from the screen, offering both a nice grip to hold the iPad as well as something of a wrist rest. I don't use the snap-on, hard screen cover unless I'm going through an airport.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Otterbox Defender. It adds a fair amount of bulk and weight but protects the screen and the device. I work in the healthcare setting and need to wipe it down with bleach wipes regularly; I wouldn't be comfortable wiping down the main iPad, but the Defender casing handles it well (although I've already had a few panicked staff remark to me "uh, I don't think that's a good idea..." as they watch me wiping, until they realize that the case covers everything). As an added plus, I use my iPad with a stylus for writing. The Defender casing protrudes upward from the screen, offering both a nice grip to hold the iPad as well as something of a wrist rest. I don't use the snap-on, hard screen cover unless I'm going through an airport.

Defender is awesome. Saved my daughter's mini from certain disaster on several occasions. Things like the mini falling out of a car to the pavement, falling out of a grocery cart. Kid's a klutz.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
I had a Mini 2 and the Air 2. I recently sold the Mini 2 thinking I did not really need it anymore. But then I missed it and was able to get a Mini 3 for only $80 more then what I got for my Mini 2 at Best Buy and bought the Mini 3. I love using the Mini 3 while traveling (train and airplane) and Air at home. I find the Mini the perfect size for ease of use while commuting while the Air 2 screen is just incredible and a pleasure to use. Nobody needs 2 iPads but there is definitely a benefit to having both. I may sell the Air 2 and get a Pro next year if the price is not ridiculously expensive.

we have the same scenario .. i sold my ipad mini 2 to get the ipad air 2...
yes i love the ipad air 2... but sometimes when im outside i still miss my ipad mini..... im thinking of getting ipad mini 3 just the 16gb maybe... to bring outside and my ipad air 2 will stay at home.....

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
Air2 and Mini2 works for me

I have both and I use the mini2 more because I have the mini2 in a Zagg Rugged Book and it makes the mini2 more useable. I am waiting for the Zagg Rugged Book to be released for the Air2. Then I will use the Air2 for more of my surfing and watching my Live TV with Comcast Xfinity when I am in the house. The Mini2 is great to take outside and in bed but the Air2 has a better looking screen for reading and watching tv.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
For 16gb capacity is still tolerable? Im planning to get 16gb mini 2 only for my travel ipad... I have air 2 at home also...
I will just use the mini for clash of clans and facebook and some browsing when im outside... Do u think 16gb is enough)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.