Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What is the process to download Yosemite from the Apple store? I do not want to give any personal details, is this possible?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What is the process to download Yosemite from the Apple store? I do not want to give any personal details, is this possible?

?
App Store - click on Purchases tab.
Click the download button on the OS X Yosemite line.
If you have never downloaded Yosemite from your App Store, then click on the Featured tab.
Listed somewhere toward the top of list, usually directly under All Categories, click on OS X Yosemite, which will open Yosemite info page.
Click the Download button (it may say "Get", but the button will have the same result)
If you need to sign in to your AppleID account, App Store will ask you to do that.

And, wait for the download, which is more than 5 GB, and will likely take at least 30 minutes (unless your internet connection is usually fast.
After the download completes, the Installer will automatically launch - so I recommend that you Quit the installer at that time, and save the installer to another location, so if you need to reinstall OS X, you don't have to wait for another long download. (The Installer app will delete itself when the install is complete, hence the reason that you should backup the installer app :D )
Or, if you are ready, just run the installer from its location in the Applications folder.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
?
App Store - click on Purchases tab.
Click the download button on the OS X Yosemite line.
If you have never downloaded Yosemite from your App Store, then click on the Featured tab.
Listed somewhere toward the top of list, usually directly under All Categories, click on OS X Yosemite, which will open Yosemite info page.
Click the Download button (it may say "Get", but the button will have the same result)
If you need to sign in to your AppleID account, App Store will ask you to do that.

And, wait for the download, which is more than 5 GB, and will likely take at least 30 minutes (unless your internet connection is usually fast.
After the download completes, the Installer will automatically launch - so I recommend that you Quit the installer at that time, and save the installer to another location, so if you need to reinstall OS X, you don't have to wait for another long download. (The Installer app will delete itself when the install is complete, hence the reason that you should backup the installer app :D )
Or, if you are ready, just run the installer from its location in the Applications folder.
It keeps asking me about "Payment information", what exactly is that for and why is it needed?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It keeps asking me about "Payment information", what exactly is that for and why is it needed?
There should be a None option for people who don't wish to associate a payment method for future App Store downloads that aren't free.

Note that there should also be an option for iTunes gift cards, which is an anonymous way to put a credit balance towards your Apple ID for future non-free purchases.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

Exactly…
Using the App Store, and the AppleID, means that you have to setup your payment information - even if your choice for a credit card is "None" - which is exactly what I have set.
Saves you time when you do pay for a purchase - and is simply part of the process when you select a free item.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Exactly…
Using the App Store, and the AppleID, means that you have to setup your payment information - even if your choice for a credit card is "None" - which is exactly what I have set.
Saves you time when you do pay for a purchase - and is simply part of the process when you select a free item.
And what happens if one does not have a credit card? He cannot get Apples newest OS?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Looks like you only get the None option if you create a new Apple ID while in the App Store app. Otherwise looks like you have to select a payment method initially, but can change it to None later.

If you already have an Apple ID

If you've already created your Apple ID, you'll need to add a payment method when you first use it to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. But you can optionally remove the payment method after you sign in to the store. You won't be asked for a payment method again until you make your first purchase.

More info:
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204034

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So i guess the only thing i can do is to delete it and then register for a new one... can this be done?

Why would you guess that's your only choice?

Follow the various steps to get your account set up properly.

Your question is answered here:
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203905

Unless you believe that none of those reasons are related to your question - then, you should contact AppleID support directly.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Why would you guess that's your only choice?

Follow the various steps to get your account set up properly.

Your question is answered here:
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203905

Unless you believe that none of those reasons are related to your question - then, you should contact AppleID support directly.
Im using Apple ID for the first time, thats why i can’t select "None" when editing my Apple ID payment information! Can you think of a better way to solve this issue of mine?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The steps to follow are to provide payment information. Once you have connected to the App Store for the first time, you can edit your account to choose "None", if you really need to do that.
If you don't have any credit card, I'm pretty sure that you can use whatever method that you use to make purchases on the internet now, such as a paypal account, or alternative services that result in payments through network accounts of various types.
If you really are stuck - contact AppleID support for issues with the App Store.
Here's link for that support: https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.do
(For your purposes, iTunes and App Store support for AppleID issues are provided through the same system.)

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
The steps to follow are to provide payment information. Once you have connected to the App Store for the first time, you can edit your account to choose "None", if you really need to do that.
If you don't have any credit card, I'm pretty sure that you can use whatever method that you use to make purchases on the internet now, such as a paypal account, or alternative services that result in payments through network accounts of various types.
If you really are stuck - contact AppleID support for issues with the App Store.
Here's link for that support: https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.do
(For your purposes, iTunes and App Store support for AppleID issues are provided through the same system.)
If i recall correctly i had an AppleID before the App store was created, thats why i haven't made any purchases but do have an ID! Anyway thank you all for the help, i will contact Apple!

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Have contacted Apple support but they are taking ages to respond (due to the days i guess), i was thinking what if i fill in fake credit card details and once i get the OS then make it None! Possible? :D

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't think that "fake" or made-up information will even make it past the "submit" button.
Can you enter details using the same payment method that you usually use when you make other purchases on the internet?
Maybe this will help: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202631

That article does say that for some countries, the iTunes Store sells only apps (and by extension, through the App Store) then only Visa, MasterCard, and Amex can be used. If you are in one of those other countries, then you will need to get a card, or make some other decisions.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I tried to make a new Apple ID but it still requires credit card info, there is no ability to have an account without giving in credit card info!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I tried to make a new Apple ID but it still requires credit card info, there is no ability to have an account without giving in credit card info!
You did this by first selecting a free app/song/book to download and then creating your Apple ID?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
You did this by first selecting a free app/song/book to download and then creating your Apple ID?
Hmm i think yes, i selected Yosemite to download it and then it asked me for an Apple id, and then i tried to create it! Why?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Hmm i think yes, i selected Yosemite to download it and then it asked me for an Apple id, and then i tried to create it! Why?
There are specific steps to create an Apple ID that uses None for the payment type. Wasn't sure if you were following those.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Any idea what those steps might be?

This is same thread that you started, and the steps are still the same.
Those steps are further back in this thread.

In short:
When you set up the AppleID account, if "none" is not offered as a choice, then you have to choose one of other payment options.
Once you have the account set up, then you can edit the payment details, and then change the payment method to "None".

I am trying to help, maybe this question will help you decide how to proceed:
How do you usually make purchases on the internet?
Use that for your initial payment method for your new account.
When the account setup is complete, then edit your payment method to "None"

If that absolutely does not work for you, then contact Apple directly for assistance.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Delta,
i know you want to help and im very thankful about it but...
1. i contacted Apple at the time i started this thread and i still have no answer about it! I asked them to delete my account and start a new one (this i did because i was told in this thread that starting a new ID account (my ID is pretty old, before App store even started) now, gives the ability to enter "None" in the use of a credit card!
2. can i start to have a 2nd apple ID?
3. can i make an Apple ID through iTunes?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
1. i contacted Apple at the time i started this thread and i still have no answer about it! I asked them to delete my account and start a new one (this i did because i was told in this thread that starting a new ID account (my ID is pretty old, before App store even started) now, gives the ability to enter "None" in the use of a credit card!
2. can i start to have a 2nd apple ID?
3. can i make an Apple ID through iTunes?

How do you usually pay for internet purchases? You don't have to answer that, except to know that you could use THAT method to setup your new AppleID, right? If that method is not apparent to you, then you need to contact Apple again. They are the folks that ultimately will help you. Maybe you just need to bother Apple again... :D

As far as I know - you can create a 2nd AppleID. Try it.

Yes, you can make an AppleID through the iTunes Store (in fact, I prefer using iTunes for that process).
Open iTunes.
If you are logged in (and see your account name in the header), log out.
Then the Store menu in iTunes will have "Create Apple ID..."
Try that :D

You MAY need to use a different email address for each AppleID that you have. (the email is usually your AppleID, and setup may not accept email address already tied to another AppleID), but set up AppleID for your preference, and see if Apple accepts that.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Well its the same process through iTunes as well and there is no ability to get the Apple ID without entering credit card details! The "None" is not an option, unless someone knows different! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.