Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I recently acquired a QuickTake 150 and have taken a few pictures with the device.

However, so far I have been unable to transfer any pictures from it to my Power Macintosh 8600 running OS 9.2.

At first when trying to install the 4 software disks it complained that there was a more modern PowerPlug extension already present and could not continue, so I disbaled this.

Then after installing very slowly, my computer now says that the QuickTime MPEG extension is missing.

Finally, I tried to start up the PhotoFlash program (which I believe imports the pictures off the camera) but it just crashed the whole system upon showing the splash screen.

The camera detects that it is connected with the spiralling emblem appearing in the small display.

I hear of mixed report of Quicktake success with OS 9.

Can anybody help me hear? I would really like this to work.

(Side note: any chance this software will work on a PowerBook 140 or Classic II, both running OS 7.1?)

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Update: It works in my Classic II, but you would not believe how long it takes.

I'm am trying to get system 7.1 on my new PowerBook 140 and see how it fairs. It is luckily kitted out with 8MB Ram and an 80MB HD.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
It seems the Quicktime PowerPlug is only 68K on the install disks and you'd need to put the newer version back after an install.

There may be other system extensions that get replaced by older versions.

You could use TomeViewer to examine the contents of the install tome files to see what components get installed.

Also, you might try installing Quicktime 6.0.3 over your OS9 (the last version for Classic OS) to re-update any Quicktime extensions that were 'downgraded'.

You can still get it here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL510

EDIT: <NOTE> THIS APPLIES TO OS9 -- GAH - I think this is one installer that blindly installs "ObjectSupportLIB" extension. Disable it or remove it. IIRC it's built into the System suitcase in OS8 and later and can cause problems if installed. You should also disable/delete Macintosh "Drag and Drop" v1.1 AND "Dragging Enabler".

Secondly, this installer also has ColorSync v2.0.1, Shared Library Manager v2.0.1, and Quicktime 2.1.

By Contrast, OS9.1 had ColorSync 3.0.1, Shared Library Manager v2.0.2, Quicktime 4.1.2

You could try installing whatever was the last update for your version of OS9. So, if you're running 9.1, re-install the 9.1 Update.

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Success of a Kind

I managed to install system 7.1 on my PowerBook 140 without the use of an external drive or a working floppy drive. Amazingly a virtual disk hosted over a LocalTalk network works perfectly surprisingly.

I installed the PhotoFlash software on that and it had no problem importing all the pictures from the QuickTake 150. I then sent the PICT images to my 8600 over LocalTalk and converted them all to JPEG.

Here are some of the pictures I took christmas day:

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg

(I did put back the newer versions of those extensions and the stratup errors disappeared :) although Mac OS 9 still won't launch PhotoFlash without crashing.)

Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Here are some of the pictures I took christmas day...

(I did put back the newer versions of those extensions and he errors disappeared :) although Mac OS 9 still won't launch PhotoFlash without crashing.)

Nice pics.

OK, one last attempt. If you have a "Quicktime Jpeg" or "Quictime Jpeg Update" extension, try disabling it and restarting. Also, get info on the PhotoFlash application and give it more minimum and maximum memory.

MindThreat

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2021
@tevion5 I just wanted to thank you for making this thread and detailing your issues as it really helped me throughout my process of getting QuickTake installed.

As it turns out, QuickTake doesn't appear to like OS8.5.1 either, then there were the problems of trying to locate actual working disk images I could use. While this doesn't pertain to OS9 at all, anyone stumbling upon this page for more information, could prove useful so they don't waste all the time in the world like I did (FWIW, my system specs are PowerBook 1400c, 64MB RAM, Sonnet G3, MacOS 8.5.1 with Disk Copy 6.3.3):

Ok, so after like 4 hours (lol) I figured it out. Actually, it wasn't really fun or funny but that's all I can do is laugh at this point
?

1. The link at MacGarden with the images on their site do not work for 8.5.1 (at very least, for me). English, French, all a bust and that was using Disk Copy 6.3.3: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/quicktake-software

2. Pull the actual working disk images from the Legacy Software Recovery CD ISO: https://macintoshgarden.org/.../apple-legacy-software...

3: Copy the entire folder contents for 150 camera to a temp folder on your HD.

4. Move "QuickTime PowerPlug" from system folder > extensions to a temporary folder.

5. (This is the part that goofed me up, out of all things) Mount all 4 disk images before launching the disk installer from disk one. My mentality was thinking 1 disk at a time. Wrong!

6. Remove the older version of "QuickTime PowerPlug" that the QuickTake software installs (it will not install at all unless you move the pre-existing QuickTime PowerPlug extension as mentioned in step 4. Now replace with the QuickTime PowerPlug you had moved back into the extensions directory. You cannot simply move or paste over the recently installed older one as it will give you an error that it's currently in use.

7. Reboot system

This installation includes PhotoFlash 2.0, which also has a script to convert/resize the photos while controlling your QuickTime camera.

What a PITA that was
?
lol

Ready for the punchline? I'm still waiting on a data cable for my QuickTake...
?

Reactions: MacTech68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.