Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Odd...

Maybe I read a rumor, perhaps I heard it somewhere, but I thought Apple was going to do an ad for the new iMac.

However, one flaw in their strategy with releasing the different models a month at a time is that some people are interested in the new iMac (I've already seen two people inquiring about the new iMac, but then were told that the machines hadn't come out yet), but the iMacs aren't available yet, or they don't want to pay $1800 for the top of the line iMac. While many people probably would want one of these iMacs, Mom & Pop would be just fine with the $1299 iMac.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
This thread is amusing! There will be no add for any apple products!! Apple will not pay that sort of money for advertisments when they can get better value for their for their money elsewhere!! Come on people, wake up. (This is a pre-emtive shut up for anyone who disagrees!!)

BiG™

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2002
Seattle
Incomplete list?

Well, I don't argue whether or whether not Apple will have an ad, but I can state that the list isn't actually complete. The only reason I know this is I know Verizon will be launching a new ad, and that isn't listed anywhere, nor is a mention of the Agency that did the work listed. We are attending a SuperBowl party with the agency specifically to watch the spot. Another clue not to take what you read on the Internet as gospel.

TazGuido

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
minneapolis
new imacs arrived at apple store!!

just thought i would let everyone know that i talked to a salesman at the apple store here in minneapolis and the imacs have arrived -- he would not tell me how many though!?:)

U

Unregistered

Re: Would you?

Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
Why would they advertise during it with teams like the Rams and Pat's !!! Yawn!!! ;)

its the lambs...get it right

U

Unregistered

Steve Jobs has made it clear that Apple will never again advertise durring the Super Bowl. Remember that Apple pioneered the advertising craze durring superbowls when they ran the original 1984 Macintosh computer commercial. It was never shown again. When asked about it Steve said "we've already done that..." That commercial still stands as the most powerfull commercial of all time. I don't think Apple wants to try to live up to the expectations viewers would have for another superbowl spot.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Originally posted by Unregistered
Steve Jobs has made it clear that Apple will never again advertise durring the Super Bowl. Remember that Apple pioneered the advertising craze durring superbowls when they ran the original 1984 Macintosh computer commercial. It was never shown again. When asked about it Steve said "we've already done that..." That commercial still stands as the most powerfull commercial of all time. I don't think Apple wants to try to live up to the expectations viewers would have for another superbowl spot.

Agreed.. Isn't it bad enought that Apple has to outdo itself every time a trade show blows through town or it's the end of the Mac world??:p

MovieManDan

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2002
Acutally Apple Has Done Superbowl Ads in the past Does anyone remember The Famous HAL 2000 ad? Apple has the Dancing iMac Ad done and ready to go possibly we will see it or not but John Lassiter has made the commercial of the Dancing iMac that is featured in the Intro Video to the new iMac that was seen during the keynote. I just thought I would pass this along so that this could all be straghtened out about Apple not doing ads for the superbowl they aren't opposed to the idea they just wait until they are ready to do it.:D

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Did anyone watch CBS tonight?

They had a count down for the best super bowl commercials of all time and Apple got 2nd place of all time for "1984" It was based on a vote by viewers.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: Did anyone watch CBS tonight?

Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
They had a count down for the best super bowl commercials of all time and Apple got 2nd place of all time for "1984" It was based on a vote by viewers.

what got first? :confused:

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I think it's wise for Apple to keep out this time around. After all, now that the Apple Stores are open and given the economic climate, I don't think they need any extra costs.

MovieManDan

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2002
What would you like to see Apple do for a SuperBowl Commercial or who would you have star in it or would you use ordinary people using the MAC. Be as creative as you want or hell as crazy as you want!! I'll have to come back in a bit with what I would like to see Apple do.

U

Unregistered

Re: Did anyone watch CBS tonight?

Originally posted by Abercrombieboy

I taped "1984" off of TV when they were doing a Top 10 Best Advertisements of All Time" and 1984 got #1. Then again, I remember another Top 10 list which gave Pioneer the #1 pick which had some video of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (is that the correct name?).

I never saw the Lemmings ad, however from what I read about it in the book Apple: Confidential, it seemed kind of funny, poking fun at IBM using clones who just jumped off a cliff because everyone else was doing it. Maybe they should reshow that one, it still holds too true to today. Is the Lemmings ad available on the internet somewhere?

quanta

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Colorado
Superbowl Crap

This year the collection of ads was the most disappointing example of no-one-gives-a-crap-about-the-consumer-anymore (with limited exception, at least Pepsi tried to be creative and thank god they left Halley Isley [sp?] out of the mix). But this is the one day in the whole year that the consumer actually sits and pays attention to the commercials to see how the ads are going to be funnier, cooler, more-awe inspiring... and instead it looks like most companies just ran the same old crap that we've been seeing for months. i know we're in an "economic downturn," but come on... if you're going to spend $4,000,000 for a 30 second spot, the least you could do is think of some clever way to say what you've got to say. But then again, the money movers and shakers are mostly from the Wintel world and being original and innovative is no their strong suit.

i'd say that a short spot featuring the imac would have gone a long way to pique the curiosity of a slumbering nation who has very little idea of what an imac is, or who still think of the imac as that dorky little 13 inch TV in transparent blue plastic. Although i suppose another Jeff Goldblum snore could have had the effect of turning off an entire nation to the product...

All in all, considering the "creative" company a 30 second spot would have kept, Apple made the right decision to be disincluded from the list.

But can't we get at least a little exposure for the most radical computer design ever? Maybe a cow crapping on the POS that Gateway BS's about... Maybe a side-by-side demonstration of what-you-see-is-what-you-get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.