Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adbsideload

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
I just wanted to post this video here. A bloke from Australia with a rather squeaky voice, and not much knowledge of Apple, has just done a "teardown" of the Lisa computer. Seeing as there is a distinct LACK of Apple expertise in the video comments, I thought I'd pass this across to you good folk for some helpful insight. If you comment on the video, would you mind putting a little tag "[MR]" at the end of your comment(s)? Many thanks - here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hxdz6c8bHg

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't watched that video yet, but there was one a while back where he disassembled an Archimedes. The battery had leaked all over the motherboard and watching it was painful!

(Edit)

Last edited:

adbsideload

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014
I haven't watched that video yet, but there was one a while back where he disassembled an Archimedes. The battery had leaked all over the motherboard and watching it was painful!

(Edit)

Thank you - yes, I have seen that one. I am kinda wondering if he's trying to ONLY appeal to electronics people, as computer platform people seem to know a GREAT deal more than he does (not too hard, if you've seen a few of his videos). Nice enough bloke, but I think maybe he should leave Macs to Apple people with the knowledge... his bag seems to be soldering and diodes, not platforms and binaries.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Ah yes... EEVBlog
Have you seen his teardown of the $250,000 hard drive? I seriously do not believe that that could be $250,000!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Thank you - yes, I have seen that one. I am kinda wondering if he's trying to ONLY appeal to electronics people, as computer platform people seem to know a GREAT deal more than he does (not too hard, if you've seen a few of his videos). Nice enough bloke, but I think maybe he should leave Macs to Apple people with the knowledge... his bag seems to be soldering and diodes, not platforms and binaries.

I've been one of his subscribers for a little while and it's quite obvious that's the case. He does the occasional teardown like this one and that's the main reason I'm subscribed.

They held a full 512k, possibly 1MB of RAM, though. ;)

Wonder what people back then would make of today's 128GB micro SD cards?

Two cards with 512 KB each = 1 MB. A lot of RAM for 1984, considering the original Macintosh only had 128 KB.

Or an iMac with 32 GB RAM. I doubt most people even knew what a gigabyte is ;)

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
he said something about the hard drive mapping out bad sectors which was innovative at the time, sounded like hogwash

all hard drives have bad sectors, on the pc back then you low level formatted the hard disk, using your hard disk controller's bios .and entered the bad sectors, using what was printed on the label and it marked them bad permanently

what did the Lisa do that was innovative?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
he said something about the hard drive mapping out bad sectors which was innovative at the time, sounded like hogwash

all hard drives have bad sectors, on the pc back then you low level formatted the hard disk, using your hard disk controller's bios .and entered the bad sectors, using what was printed on the label and it marked them bad permanently

One of the selling points of early Macs was the automatic detection of bad sectors and the slot number of expansion cards. PCs didn't even get these features until the early 90's.

adbsideload

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2014

Yes. I think his field is mainly electronics, so we can give him the benefit of the doubt. I learn all the detailed things I know about about hard drives and bad sectors from the great Steve Gibson @ GRC - the man is a legend.

#spinrite

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
When he showed the insides of the PSU, he first called the glue down there...
"hot snot"
LOL!
Is that actually what hot glue is called in Australia?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.