Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hel22

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
So I own an iPad 2 which is working great besides the sudden onset of weakest wifi signal ever so it has become useless :(
So I'm looking to upgrade and I can't spend more than 470 dollars. So I'm thinking between iPad air 1 32GB or iPad mini 3 64GB. Both I can get for same price. The mini 3 is the latest model so that is a plus. I do watch lots of video's so would the mini be too small for that?
Or should I go for the air 1?
Advice please :)

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I'd get the Air 1. The mini 3 is kind of a lame product in that it's hardly better than the mini 2 but costs more. If you liked the smaller form then just get the mini 2 and either save money or get more storage for the same expenditure.

The ful size screen of the Air is a great thing though and if you are used to that size then you'll want to stay with the full size ipad.

Get the Air 1. It's a great tablet.

hel22

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice! What's the big difference between the mini 2 and 3 besides the fingerprint sensor?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Thanks for the advice! What's the big difference between the mini 2 and 3 besides the fingerprint sensor?

That's it and you can get it in gold. The only reason why I got the mini 3 over the 2 is because I wanted 128GB of storage and the mini 2 is now only available up to 32GB.

hel22

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Ok, I see. So how can I be sure the ipad air won't have the same wifi problems as my iPad 2? My ipad 2 would have been used many more years had the wifi not been so horrible :(
And it happened from one minute to the next..

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Are you sure that wifi problem is not software/router related?

If is not, repairing that shouldnt cost that much surely?

hel22

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
No. I tried everything and my other apple products (ipod touch and iphone 3GS) work flawlessly, even upstairs. iPad doesn't even get a full signal next to the router...
I read up a lot and it seems this problem isn't solved anywhere. And it happened still on iOS 7 so I upgraded to 8 hoping this will fix but nope.... Nothing.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Damn, having a perfectly usable device spoiled for that is annoying.

Have you thought about repairing it yourself? there are some tutorials out there. It is not easy mind you.

hel22

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
I know, it's very annoying but I don't mind to upgrade. I wanna try and sell it too for a bit..

hel22

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Just bought the ipad air 1 on amazon... Hope it will be ok..
Thanks for all the help!

Frosteric901

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2014
tbh the only thing separating the iPad air 1 and mini 3 is the touch id and tbh it isn't that big of a feature to merit a purchase of a smaller iPad. the air is a great tablet amazing battery life, screen and just downright awesome...sp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.