Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigerstyles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
So sick of the this 6 slipping out of my hand of the chair out my pocket and god forbid it vibrate whilst on the coffee table! So glad I have a nice brown wallet trebling the thickness and weight of it now!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's not so much the thinness of it but the material used. The metal-backed original iPhone was as slippery as the 6/6+ (the 5/5s isn't as slippery because the glass top and bottom provide friction).

tkingsley

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2014
Agreed. iPhone 6 definitely is a little bit slippery all the time and because its so thin you feel like it might fall. I got the Apple leather case and am pretty pleased with it.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
It's no longer practical to use the phone without a case.

Both for grip and for drop damage protection.

Furthermore the phones are bigger and the leather cases are thinner so it doesn't make a difference negatively if you have a case like how it used to add bulk to the smaller phones.

We've talked about this in other threads before. Just get the official Apple leather case, the phones are designed assuming you will have one; it solves all your problems and looks better too.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't dropped mine (yet) but I do find it harder to pick up off a table than my 4S was. It's so thin that I have to grip it with my fingertips when I pick it up, and the curved edges probably exacerbate the problem.

Edit: Murphy strikes again! Guess what I just dropped :eek:

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Furthermore the phones are bigger and the leather cases are thinner so it doesn't make a difference negatively if you have a case like how it used to add bulk to the smaller phones.

We've talked about this in other threads before. Just get the official Apple leather case, the phones are designed assuming you will have one; it solves all your problems and looks better too.

Bumper cases look terrible leather or not, and the Apple one is way overpriced. A bumper case can never make your phone look better.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Good thing we live in the normal world where one can add a case to a slim phone and make it thicker. Now we go and work on world peace...if only we can get a case for it.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
These phones are not designed for cases. Why would they design a great device to have it covered by some crap leather. Cases are for people who "feel" like being different, or unique or etc.......

Plus it makes them money. A five dollar slab of leather sold to you for a SMALL mark up.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Practicality was never Apple's strong suit in phone design. I'm finding that most products that win design awards all have fatal flaws in practicality or comfort. I saw my nephew's Motorola phone at Christmas and man did they get it right. Easy pickup and handling caseless, 3 gigs of RAM, contoured back that accommodates the human hand, etc. Then I go back to my uncomfortable slab of an IPhone 6 plus.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Practicality was never Apple's strong suit in phone design. I'm finding that most products that win design awards all have fatal flaws in practicality or comfort. I saw my nephew's Motorola phone at Christmas and man did they get it right. Easy pickup and handling caseless, 3 gigs of RAM, contoured back that accommodates the human hand, etc. Then I go back to my uncomfortable slab of an IPhone 6 plus.

They did finally round the edges as I was suggesting numerous time. I found the sharp edges of the 4 uncomfortable. The 5 was better. But I love the 6 rounded edges. Imagine if the 6/6+ side was flat as the 4/5, it would be almost impossible to pick up.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Apple has an anorexic obsession with making every phone thinner than the last SMH

Thanks goodness for that. If they would listen to some people on the internet, we would still be using huge bricks. One of things I love about the 6 is that I hardly feel it its there in my pocket. I don't know what kind of hands some people have but I have kept mine most of the time with no case at all and I have never drooped or such.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

Defeats the purpose of making it thinner in the first place though. In that case they could have just kept the size of the 5S with a bigger battery. I suppose a thin phone sounds better in the marketing department

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
For grip, I like the sandstone texture that appears on oneplus one phones.
Ultimately this would be available on an iPhone in 5.1" with 2gb or ram

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Defeats the purpose of making it thinner in the first place though. In that case they could have just kept the size of the 5S with a bigger battery. I suppose a thin phone sounds better in the marketing department

A case added to a thicker phone would make it more thicker.

----------

Apple has an anorexic obsession with making every phone thinner than the last SMH

I'm fine with their design choice.
And my iPhone with the Apple leather case is perfect.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010

No it doesn't.

It makes most sense the way it is now. It is a renewable/replaceable outer layer (of your choice of style and variety) and literally a skin you peel off and buy a new one when it inevitably gets scratched or damaged from slight drops and scuffs.

Instead of permanently scuffing up your shell, you can remove the skin and replace it with a brand new fresh one after few months or years. Or at least when its time to sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.