Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
A friend of mine has an 1.5 GHz "Intel Core Solo" Mac mini with OS X 10.6.8 ("Early 2006" model) and would like to use Garageband on it.

I know that iLife '09 basically runs on this machine but I found an older link on Apple's support pages where is says "GarageBand Learn to Play requires an Intel-based Mac with a dual-core processor or better."

I don't understand the term "Garageband Learn to Play". Is that the same as "Garageband" or are this two different applications? Will Garageband from iLife '09 run on such an old Mac mini? I would like to know this before she buys iLife '09.

Thanks for your tips!

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
'Learn to play' is a specific feature, it doesn't affect the rest of the app if it's never used, so as long that isn't the reason for using it, it should be ok. The fact you are asking would indicate it isn't the reason for using it(!). :D

Of course the better the mac, the better it will run, but as long as it meets the general system requirements (which it sounds like it does) then it should be useable. Personally I would recommend you consider maxing out the RAM (it takes up to 2GB I believe), it should be quite cheap to do for that machine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.