Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itoikenza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
I have a mac mini on 10.5.8. and i wanna run a certain webcam windows app. But i only got 2gb of hdd space to work with. This is non-negotiable. Anyone know of an app that does what droidcamx does, but runs on 10.5.8? Or a way to install the windows client with only minuscule space?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have a mac mini on 10.5.8. and i wanna run a certain webcam windows app. But i only got 2gb of hdd space to work with. This is non-negotiable. Anyone know of an app that does what droidcamx does, but runs on 10.5.8? Or a way to install the windows client with only minuscule space?

If the mini is a PPC model, then a "windows client" is highly unlikely.

If the mini is a newer intel model, then does it already have a Bootcamp windows installation, or a virtual machine of some kind, so you would have Windows available to use?
(filling up a hard drive completely, on a Mac that is not yours - probably a bad plan from the start :D )

itoikenza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
haha. I still have access to this mac, but now I need vista install discs. Bootcamp can only run vista & xp. On 10.5.8...
btw it's an intel mini 1,1.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Did you ever make enough space on the drive to let you use bootcamp?
Your original post said you only had about 2GB of free space. I would suggest that whatever Windows you need to install should have much more - I like to use Boot Camp to set up a 40GB volume as a minimum, regardless of the Windows version that you would use.
Where have you found a Vista installer CD? You will need a license with that, of course.

itoikenza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Nope, the space has only increased to 4.98gb free. I doubt I can get 40gb free when the max is 55.
yes i have a vista and xp key.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You'll need more than 5GB free, and even then it's a bad idea to have an OS X system boot drive that is completely full.
Most users try for at least 15% free. If you have a 60GB hard drive, then 9GB free would be a good goal. Even that would be useless for making a Windows boot partition.
If you can't make more space on the drive, then the internal hard drive can be replaced with more capacity. You can go to as much space as you need then.

itoikenza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
hey by any chance, do you know of a way to run the latest skype on leopard? maybe a 3rd party app? I tried wine bottler but...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Latest Skype version requires a minimum of OS X 10.9 - so, unless you get a newer mini or other Mac that can be upgraded past 10.6, then you are simply out of luck - at least with Skype.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.