Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KezN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
I am slowly getting to grips with my new mac mini, but have an issue with the keyboard typing @ instead of ". I have tried altering the settings under keyboards to see if using a different country makes any difference, but it doesn't. Could anyone explain how to resolve this issue? Many thanks.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
ROFL

is there any chance your mac was replaced with a TRS-80 ?????

the trs-80 had a " where the @ normally used to be, which totally explains your problem!!!!!

IMG_2647.jpg

----------

the commidore 64 also had a " where the @ supposed to be

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
the @ and " are switched in UK keyboards, compared to america

mac is misidentifying the keyboard. do not know how to fix.

when i plug in a keyboard the mac doesn't know about, it asks me to press the keys immediately to the right of the left shift key and immediately left to the right shift key.

i don't know how to get that screen up manually.
that would fix your issue.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
have you tried this?

----

instructions
Disconnect the external keyboard from the computer's USB port.

Click the "Finder" icon in the computer's dock, then click the hard drive icon beneath the "Devices" heading.

Click the "Library" folder icon, followed by the "Preferences" folder icon.

Click on the file named "com.apple.keyboardtype.plist" and drag the file onto the "Trash" icon in the computer's dock.

empty trash

Reconnect the keyboard to the computer's USB port. The Keyboard Setup Assistant will launch automatically. Follow the onscreen instructions to set up the keyboard.

Last edited:

dogbertd

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Dundee, Scotland, UK
I am slowly getting to grips with my new mac mini, but have an issue with the keyboard typing @ instead of ". I have tried altering the settings under keyboards to see if using a different country makes any difference, but it doesn't. Could anyone explain how to resolve this issue? Many thanks.

Did you try the "British-PC" keyboard setting? This is a problem I have every time I upgrade, and it's because Apple US keyboards have a subtly different layout to UK keyboards. It's best to use the one called "British-PC".

KezN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
Thanks everyone for your input.

Re keyboard type yes I had tried British-PC with no success.

I have just tried deleting the "com.apple.keyboardtype.plist" file but had problems: firstly there is no hard disk listed under devices but I did manage in a round about way to find the library folder and then preferences. I moved the file to trash but it asked for my password to move it so I had to plug the keyboard back in. I then unplugged it and tried to trash the file but it said that the keyboard was in use. Any suggestions as to what I can do next?

Many thanks.

----------

U running Windows 8 in boot camp right?

No I am just running mac but using an ordinary keyboard as I don't like mac keyboards.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Thanks everyone for your input.

Re keyboard type yes I had tried British-PC with no success.

I have just tried deleting the "com.apple.keyboardtype.plist" file but had problems: firstly there is no hard disk listed under devices but I did manage in a round about way to find the library folder and then preferences. I moved the file to trash but it asked for my password to move it so I had to plug the keyboard back in. I then unplugged it and tried to trash the file but it said that the keyboard was in use. Any suggestions as to what I can do next?

Many thanks.

----------

No I am just running mac but using an ordinary keyboard as I don't like mac keyboards.

disable your password?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thanks for the pointer. I have done that but the keyboard setup didn't appear and the keyboard still isn't working correctly. :confused:
Are you saying that when you follow the instructions on the link I supplied that you do not get the virtual keyboard icon up in your top menu-bar?
That would be really odd.:confused:

KezN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
Are you saying that when you follow the instructions on the link I supplied that you do not get the virtual keyboard icon up in your top menu-bar?
That would be really odd.:confused:

Sorry my explanation wasn't very good. I got the virtual keyboard and used that. I deleted the file and then put the the keyboard usb back in but it didn't run the set up keyboard option though the keyboard worked. :confused:

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
The lack of insert and delete (not backspace-and-delete) drives me batty since I sometimes must connect to systems that are not Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.