Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Another airplane lost above open waters.
First one for AirAsia.
Flight from Surabaya to Singapore.

It had lost contact with air traffic controllers in Jakarta not long after taking off from Surabaya in East Java, and vanished somewhere between Pontianak in West Kalimantan and Tanjung Pandan in Belitung Island. 162 people were on board; 155 passengers and seven crew members.

Indonesis_Plane_Crash_WEB29.svg

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
This was was in an area of heavy storms and lightening, so maybe it's not that mysterious. Could be another Air France-type incident.

I've been there plenty of times, south east Asia can be a spooky area.

I still remember my flight from Bandung (BDG) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) about 1 ½ years ago, lots of turbulence, then my connecting flight got even worse, extreme turbulence for the first 3 hours, this was from KL to Amsterdam, above the Andaman sea and Bay of Bengal in between South East Asia and India.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30620647

As the search resumed on Monday, Indonesia air force spokesman Hadi Tjahnanto said it was being focused on an area where an oil spill had been spotted but it was not clear if it had been caused by the plane.

Meanwhile the Associated Press news agency quoted an Indonesian official as saying that objects had been spotted in the sea near Nangka island by an Australian search plane. Again, it was not clear if they had come from the missing aircraft.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So if this plane climbed to get above the clouds and a bad storm. Could a down burst have taken them out? Wouldn't air traffic control see this storm on radar and move planes around it?

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
So if this plane climbed to get above the clouds and a bad storm. Could a down burst have taken them out? Wouldn't air traffic control see this storm on radar and move planes around it?

Most commercial airlines these days should have equipment on board to see bad weather, that's why the pilot requested to climb to 38.000 feet.
But, some of those storms do reach far higher than commercial airplanes can fly, so mostly they just fly around them.
As I said in one of my earlier posts, I've flown a lot in that area, also many times with AirAsia, it can be spooky out there, very rough flights once in a while.
Heavy turbulence is fairly common in this area, especially around this times of the year, when it's the wet (monsoon) season.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Most commercial airlines these days should have equipment on board to see bad weather, that's why the pilot requested to climb to 38.000 feet.
But, some of those storms do reach far higher than commercial airplanes can fly, so mostly they just fly around them.
As I said in one of my earlier posts, I've flown a lot in that area, also many times with AirAsia, it can be spooky out there, very rough flights once in a while.
Heavy turbulence is fairly common in this area, especially around this times of the year, when it's the wet (monsoon) season.

I'm surprised they tried to fly over it and not around it. The storm was 50,000 feet high and the plane was only approved to fly in the high 3x,000 feet range due to limitations of the aircraft. From the news, they said the storm was severe - but I guess the pilot risked it or wasn't aware of the severity.

On a related note, at least the Virgin plan had a safe landing (had landing gear trouble)

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
AirAsia QZ8501: 'Six bodies' found in missing plane search

Indonesian civil aviation chief Djoko Murjatmodjo, quoted by AFP news agency, said "significant things" such as a passenger door and cargo door had been found.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30630330

_79981640_indonesia_missing_plane_624_v2.gif

The Transportation Ministry’s acting director general of air transportation, Djoko Murjatmodjo, confirmed on Tuesday that wreckage discovered in Pangkalan Bun, Central Kalimantan, was from AirAsia flight QZ8501.

“It has been confirmed that it is debris from an aircraft bearing red and white colors,” Djoko said, citing that the debris was found by the ministry’s rescue team.

Govt confirms debris from AirAsia

Seems like "they" knew more!

The location of the debris matched information from two fishermen in Pangkalan Bun who said that they heard a thud and saw explosions on Sunday morning, Yusuf said.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here's an excellent article on Air France 447. It does sound as though some of the same conditions were in effect.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2014/10/air-france-flight-447-crash

Airbuses, alas most airliners don't like flying through thunderstorms, although at this point a bomb can't be dismissed as a possibility. In the Air France case, there was a thunderstorm, a known pitot static engineering issue in combination with possible pilot error. That engineering issue was supposed to have been corrected. The black boxes will answer much.

Last edited:

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
A second American ship is being ready to join in the recover mission. It is the USS Forth Worth and should leave Singapore in a day or two.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
As a pilot myself, I can only guess the airplane was most likely being flown too slowly to maintain lift, probably due to airspeed indication inaccuracies as a result of the airspeed-measuring tubes and/or static ports suffering from blockages.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
As a pilot myself, I can only guess the airplane was most likely being flown too slowly to maintain lift, probably due to airspeed indication inaccuracies as a result of the airspeed-measuring tubes and/or static ports suffering from blockages.
So, basically Air France 447?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Officials suspect the pilots attempted a steep climb and the plane's airspeed may have been problem, but can not say definitively until the black boxes are recovered.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/airasia-flight-8501-search-hampered-weather-bodies-return-to-indonesia/

It's sounding like it.

Black boxes will tell a lot. My understanding of the pitot-static system is that besides being heated they are designed to remain functional in heavy icing. However, as always from the beginning of flying, the key to flying in a thunderstorm is to maintain a level attitude (not altitude), and a normal power setting. Don't be chasing airspeed high or low, which really applies if your pitot system has iced over and it shows you over speeding. If you attitude is level and power set at a normal cruise setting, the plane will still fly. The caveat would be if the wings come off or if the engines flame out. But the way modern airliners are built, I feel the former is unlikely, but engines have been known to flame out in thunderstorms. Even if the main instruments tumble, the airbus is equipped with an old fashioned standby mechanical gyro which should provide this info.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid

Could have been anything, really. But it was most likely pilot error. These planes are built like tanks with several backup redundancy systems and can even fly on 1 engine no problem. Besides, it's also engineered to prevent the pilots from messing around with the plane, so it's a rarity when these accidents end up happening.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
1) Aviate.
2) Navigate
3) Communicate.

In an emergency, the crew's #1 priority is flying the plane.

I understand that but some people were found with life jackets on. This implies time make a mayday call.

In this kind of situation can the head steward make that call ?

Please excuse my ignorance because I don't fly.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I understand that but some people were found with life jackets on. This implies time make a mayday call.

In this kind of situation can the head steward make that call ?

Please excuse my ignorance because I don't fly.
I'd imagine the flight attendants would all be busy ensuring that everyone was prepared.

Five attendants to prepare to 155 freaking out passengers... Seems like they'd have less time than the folks on the flight deck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.