Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Top banks across the UK are currently negotiating with Apple to launch Apple Pay in the country during the first half of 2015, reports The Telegraph. Sources close to the matter note that the major banks have cited privacy concerns over the personal and financial information of users, but admit that they are positive about the impact the service has had in the United States.
It is understood the bank is uncomfortable with the amount of personal and financial information Apple wants to collect about its customers. Some executives fear Apple Pay and the data it delivers to Apple could serve as a beachhead for an invasion of the banking industry.

Sources accepted no major bank will want to miss out on Apple Pay, however, as early signs from the United States suggest it may be the service to finally convince consumers to pay with mobile phones.
applepay1.png
The news comes after Apple posted a job listing for an "Apple Pay Intern" earlier this month, which revealed that the company is "working hard" to expand its payment service across Europe, the Middle East, India, and Africa. Visa also said in September that it would be working with Apple to roll out Apple Pay across Europe in 2015, and e-commerce giant Alibaba has also been in talks with Apple over a potential partnership that would bring the service to China.

Apple Pay has seen impressive early adoption numbers since first launching in October, with ITG noting that the service accounted for 1% of all digital payment dollars in November. Apple Pay has seen adoption at a number of popular retailers and restaurants in the United States, including Macy's, Subway, Walgreens, McDonalds, Whole Foods, Nike, and more.

Article Link: Apple in Talks with Major Banks to Launch Apple Pay in UK During First Half of 2015

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
I wonder how they will get around the £20 limit on contactless transactions, if they will let Apple Pay transact a higher amount?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I wonder how they will get around the £20 limit on contactless transactions, if they will let Apple Pay transact a higher amount?
There won't be a limit because Apple Pay has security. The £20 is to protect you for not needing to put in a pin code

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
It is understood the bank is uncomfortable with the amount of personal and financial information Apple wants to collect about its customers. Some executives fear Apple Pay and the data it delivers to Apple could serve as a beachhead for an invasion of the banking industry.
So what data are we talking about? Didn't Tim Cook explicitely state that Apple Pay works because Apple doesn't collect data about its customers?

Let's have a look to what Apple has to say:

Apple Pay is also designed to protect your personal information. Apple Pay doesn't collect any transaction information that can be tied back to you. Payment transactions are between you, the merchant, and your bank.

So what data collection are we talking about?

I hate it when people say stuff regarding data mining without making it explicit what they are talking about. This is the reason why 99% of the global population thinks Google and Apple sell your data. Making people aware of privacy and technology starts with accurate and informed reporting.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
meh not excited anymore. Was excited when they announced it but they've left it too long.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Why so slow, even in the UK? The rest of the world, especially smaller countries, probably can forget about :apple:Pay for any foreseeable future :(

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Still no iTunes Radio in the UK so I'll believe this when I see it...

Like yourself, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sick of waiting to get iTunes Radio.

I expect in my neck of the woods, it will be a long time before I see Apple Pay also.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
….."It is understood the bank is uncomfortable with the amount of personal and financial information Apple wants to collect about its customers. Some executives fear Apple Pay and the data it delivers to Apple could serve as a beachhead for an invasion of the banking industry"…..

Article Link: Apple in Talks with Major Banks to Launch Apple Pay in UK During First Half of 2015

For this to take off in a big way, the last thing Apple wants to do is leave any doubt in the minds of the banks, CC issuers, and merchants, about the security and privacy of these payment transactions, and they appear to have come up with a rock-solid solution.

I understand banks by nature, are conservative in their approach, but what exactly are they talking about? Perhaps they are not happy about the lack of mineable data the Apple solution yields?

Last edited:

r3loaded

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
Why so slow, even in the UK? The rest of the world, especially smaller countries, probably can forget about :apple:Pay for any foreseeable future :(

Winning over the banks takes time. Also, Apple Pay is still far more likely to actually see a release in the UK than Google Wallet. I bought my Nexus 4 back when it was launched in anticipation of using that service in the UK. Two whole years passed, I upgraded to my current iPhone 6 and still nothing on the horizon for Wallet. Still got the N4 around as a development device though.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Winning over the banks takes time. Also, Apple Pay is still far more likely to actually see a release in the UK than Google Wallet. I bought my Nexus 4 back when it was launched in anticipation of using that service in the UK. Two whole years passed, I upgraded to my current iPhone 6 and still nothing on the horizon for Wallet. Still got the N4 around as a development device though.

google wallet isn't available in the UK? because its such a simple implementation I thought it was available everywhere in the world that used NFC terminals. Oh well learn something new everyday.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Apple should launch Apple Pay in Japan.
Japan introduced NFC based mobile-payment system over 10 years ago and has now the largest number of NFC enabled point-of-sale terminals (over 1 Million) in the world. iPhone is also the dominant smartphone in Japan, with near 50% of market share in the country.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
google wallet isn't available in the UK? because its such a simple implementation I thought it was available everywhere in the world that used NFC terminals. Oh well learn something new everyday.

It might actually be some sort of legal issue preventing Google Wallet from being usable outside the US. Otherwise US residents wouldn't be blocked from using it overseas either.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
I have accounts with seven banks and whichever makes Apple Pay available will become my main account (though hoping a lot of banks will be on board from the get go).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Might need a software update on the terminals, if the £20 limit is built into the terminal itself.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So what data are we talking about? Didn't Tim Cook explicitely state that Apple Pay works because Apple doesn't collect data about its customers?

Let's have a look to what Apple has to say:

So what data collection are we talking about?

I hate it when people say stuff regarding data mining without making it explicit what they are talking about. This is the reason why 99% of the global population thinks Google and Apple sell your data. Making people aware of privacy and technology starts with accurate and informed reporting.

Yes when I first saw this story I wondered what this was about. Sounds like the Telegraph or UK banks don't know how Pay works.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I'd probably put money on it that AMEX will be one of the first card providers to support in the UK.

Then of course we'll have to wait for the retailers to get their acts together to accept Apple Pay which could take forever!

burtba

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Be nice to allow use of NFC before Apple get around to releasing Apple Pay in countries outside of the U.S., eg Australia. You know so we can use that technology you advertised as being in the iPhone 6.
Look forward to NFC, properly functioning hand off, improved MAPS, improved Siri, Apple watch, split screen on iPads. Gonna be a good year for Apple fans

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I'm still excited, - But this is a European thread. my bad

I mean once they turn it on I haven't the same excitement I had when you guys in the US rushed out to try it. Its like having Christmas the next day. Its not the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.