Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renzokuken24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
My late 2008 Macbook Alum has these dents:

IMG_4967_zpsdc1c04ce.jpg

I know it's caused by rough use (I don't put any protective covers on it..now it's been 5+ years).

I remember a few months ago while using it, my hands could feel something...electric current maybe, I don't know. It's still working great, apart from getting slower when using Photoshop, but I'm reluctant to upgrade yet (maybe next year). But if the dents leak electric/power, is there any way to stop it? Putting a cover or something? Or is it time to replace it?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
My late 2008 Macbook Alum has these dents:

I remember a few months ago while using it, my hands could feel something...electric current maybe, I don't know. It's still working great, apart from getting slower when using Photoshop, but I'm reluctant to upgrade yet (maybe next year). But if the dents leak electric/power, is there any way to stop it? Put a cover or something?

It's called pitting and its a reaction between the aluminium and your sweat

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks for your reply. Does it cause leaking?

You mean the tingling. If so that's due to your Mac not being earthed. The only time it's earthed is when you use the apple supplied extension cable with the power brick. It's completely normal and won't kill you.

renzokuken24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
Yes, tingling! Although it kinda hurt. Like being buzzed.

That's good to hear, thank you so much. So it's not the machine, but my power port not being earthed, is that what you meant? Would using a surge protector help? (Sorry if this sounds very newbie-ish)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yes, tingling! Although it kinda hurt. Like being buzzed.

That's good to hear, thank you so much. So it's not the machine, but my power port not being earthed, is that what you meant? Would using a surge protector help? (Sorry if this sounds very newbie-ish)

No it won't help.

When you use the stubby plug on the power cable it's not earthed so you become the computers earth. If you use the 1.5m cable that apple provides that is earthed and should stop the tingling.

Or

You could install one of the many plastic skins (Palm guards) that will stop your contact.

renzokuken24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
Ok. I always use the 1.5m cable from Apple. I think I'll get a palm guard.

Thank you so much for your help :apple:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ok. I always use the 1.5m cable from Apple. I think I'll get a palm guard.

Thank you so much for your help :apple:

Strange. Have you tried other sockets in the house? It should only occurs when plugged in and unearthed.

renzokuken24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
There's an electricity problem at my house. A repairman that I called for fixing a washing machine found that there's electricity leaking on our microwave outerpart. He recommends us call someone to fix coz he suspects there's a problem with wiring.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
There's an electricity problem at my house. A repairman that I called for fixing a washing machine found that there's electricity leaking on our microwave outerpart. He recommends us call someone to fix coz he suspects there's a problem with wiring.

Ah sounds like the house has a bad earth supply. That explains why your not earthed on the extension lead.

renzokuken24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
Yeah. Our lighting switches are touch-controlled, probably they don't last long because of poor wiring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.