Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is updating the terms and conditions governing purchases made by European Union consumers in the Mac App Store, iOS App Store, iBooks Store and iTunes Store. These changes appeared recently in EU countries such as France, Germany and United Kingdom (aia ifun.de).

itunesstoreoverview1.jpg
Instituted across EU member states, the new terms provide consumers with 14 days to request a full refund of a purchase unless they deliberately choose to download the media and agree to forfeit their right to cancellation.
Right of cancellation: If you choose to cancel your order, you may do so within 14 days from when you received your receipt without giving any reason, except iTunes Gifts which cannot be refunded once you have redeemed the code.

To meet the cancellation deadline, you must send your communication of cancellation before the 14-day period has expired.

Effects of cancellation: We will reimburse you no later than 14 days from the day on which we receive your cancellation notice. We will use the same means of payment as you used for the transaction, and you will not incur any fees for such reimbursement.

Exception to the right of cancellation: You cannot cancel your order for the supply of digital content if the delivery has started upon your request and acknowledgement that you thereby lose your cancellation right.
This change is likely the result of the EU's new policy for Apps and Digital Games, which went into effect earlier this year. The new rules aim to protect consumers by establishing EU-wide guidelines for the sale of digital goods. Besides offering a 14-day return window, the policy also requires companies to provide detailed information about the products being sold.

These changes apply only to EU member states. The terms and conditions in other locations, such as the United States, remain the same with an "All sales Final" provision, although the company has traditionally offered some flexibility in that regard upon request.

Article Link: Apple Adds New 14-Day Return Policy for iTunes Digital Goods in EU Countries

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
... So they can download the content, i.e. books, music etc., copy paste it to their desktop, and just say that they didn't mean to and keep it for free? That's.... dumb...

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
That sounds like a terrible idea for the App Store. Most mobile games are pretty short and can easily be finished within 14 days, I can see people finishing a game then requesting a refund

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
... So they can download the content, i.e. books, music etc., copy paste it to their desktop, and just say that they didn't mean to and keep it for free? That's.... dumb...
Pretty sure Apple reserves the right not to sell anything to you if you do this like twenty-two times in a row.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Exception to the right of cancellation: You cannot cancel your order for the supply of digital content if the delivery has started upon your request and acknowledgement that you thereby lose your cancellation right.

I'm confused what this is meant for - if you agree to start the delivery (download) of a digital purchase, then you can't have it refunded. So when will this ever be useful?

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I'm confused what this is meant for - if you agree to start the delivery (download) of a digital purchase, then you can't have it refunded. So when will this ever be useful?
If the download starts automatically and I haven't acknowledged I'll loose my cancellation right through a pop-up Apple won't have much of a case.

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
That sounds like a terrible idea for the App Store. Most mobile games are pretty short and can easily be finished within 14 days, I can see people finishing a game then requesting a refund

On the other hand most apps are really bad, crash a lot and are totally not worth the money! Unfortunately there are no demos/ trials at the Appstore.

It's about time you can request a refund! Google Play has this for years now.

I aggree that 14 days are too much vor digital content though. 2 - 12 hours is enough.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
This really doesn't change anything. Technically you can change your mind between purchase and download, but that's not helpful to anybody.

The reason for the EU law is to protect customers against scamming, not to change anything for trustworthy retailers.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
That's a nice policy. I bought an expensive IAP one time that failed to download. I got a refund, but it took a while.

btb

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Very recently downloaded a free Sat Nav app then bought the Europe maps upgrade through in-app purchase. and found a problem with voice instructions for roundabout (rotaries) exits.

Requested a refund online and was given it without any question and the money refunded.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
It says on the German site that the developers have to refund 100% while they initially only got 70% from Apple in the first place so apple basically just keeps those 30%? seems cruel

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
This doesn't really mean anything. It just means that Apple are legally bound to give you a refund within 14 days of purchase, if you're an EU customer. If you download the purchase within those 14 days, they are not inclined to give you a refund.

In short, if you buy a game, download it and play it, then decide you don't want it and ask for a refund, they don't have to refund anything because you downloaded the purchase.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Pretty sure Apple reserves the right not to sell anything to you if you do this like twenty-two times in a row.

... So setup another Apple ID? And what about the property rights of the 22 people you ripped off?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I was kind of happy...then saw EU Countries...

that's why i am hesitant on app purchases. sure, some are a $1 but that adds up. so I am not usually an impulse buyer for digital content.

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
OK I just did it successfully. So here's how to do it:

Open iTunes on your computer.
1. Store - Sign In - iTunes Store
2. Scroll down - Manage - Account
3. Scroll down - Purchase History - See All
4. Scroll down - Report a problem.
5. Now the most recent apps have a "report problem" button appearing next to them.
6. Click that button and select "Cancel Purchase".
Done.

Last edited:

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Wow, makes for nice headlines, people just shouldn't read the article.

Classy Apple.

So the actual reason why I'm most likely to return something - it not working the way I expected or being an otherwise bad experience, is basically thrown out of the window as reason to return.

Damn, how often have I craved to cancel an order on something I bought a week or two ago and never touched......

Oh and, by the way: You're still legally bound to offer me a way of reselling my digital goods such as apps.
Guess you don't keep tabs on EU court decisions unless you're the defendant.
(Click)

Glassed Silver:mac

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
On the other hand most apps are really bad, crash a lot and are totally not worth the money! Unfortunately there are no demos/ trials at the Appstore.

It's about time you can request a refund! Google Play has this for years now.

I aggree that 14 days are too much vor digital content though. 2 - 12 hours is enough.

This has nothing to do with getting a refund due to a faulty or poor quality product. This is about getting a refund on an item you have decided you no longer want. Just the same as in real life, you get a short window in which you can take it back without giving a reason. If an app sucks you can ask for a refund, and have always been able to do so.

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013

Classy Apple.

So the actual reason why I'm most likely to return something - it not working the way I expected or being an otherwise bad experience, is basically thrown out of the window as reason to return.

Damn, how often have I craved to cancel an order on something I bought a week or two ago and never touched......
[/i]
I bought an app, downloaded and used it before cancelling the purchase and getting a refund. I confirm it works for downloaded and used apps. It works if your balance comes from iTunes cards. Refund within minutes, they send you two emails.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Classy Apple.

Since you read the article, and nobody else did, where does it say that you can no longer request a refund for poor quality goods?

Oh and, by the way: You're still legally bound to offer me a way of reselling my digital goods such as apps.
Guess you don't keep tabs on EU court decisions unless you're the defendant.
(Click)

Not really, that's just the headlines talking. The ruling means that if you sell some software the original distributor cannot sue either party for copyright infringement when the new purchaser starts downloading it and distributing it on their devices. It doesn't say anywhere that Oracle needed to facilitate the sales with some kind of second-hand software store.

You can sell your copy of Flappy Bird and nobody can sue you for it. Transferring it between phones and getting it running without proper activation is your own problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.