Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jookey-pookey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
Hello all,

I am going to buy a macbook air 13.3 screen but I am not sure whether to go for a 4gb with 258gb storage or 8gb with 128GB storage. in an ideal world I'd have 8gb with 258gb storage but I can't find any like that in the UK apart from direct from Apple.

There are a few questions I was wondering if anyone could help me with. Just so you know I'd be using the machine for web browsing, word processing / excel/ powerpoint documents. Light video and photo editing, streaming movies and some gaming (mainly The Sims 4.)

1. in the long run what is better? When Apple introduce new OS would it be best to have more RAM or storage?
2. can either of these be upgraded at a later date?
3. If I was to install quite a big game such as The Sims... Could that be installed onto an external hard drive and I could I play the game off the external qhard drive?
4. How much storage approximately will office for Mac use up?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
For me, 128 GB means that I can't store all my music (20 gigs) or my photos (35 gigs) on the laptop.

I got an external 256 GB disk for that. It's a bit of a hassle, frankly.

The reason is that my apps take a lot of space, with two versions of Xcode, Adobe Photoshop and LibreOffice. And I store backups of various iPads and iPhones on the laptop. Then there's two mail accounts which take a gigabyte each.

Also, when you use multiple browsers, they all keep caches in your home Library folder. These swell to gigabytes in size.

If your usage patterns don't look like that, take the 128 gigabyte and the 8 gigs of memory. Otherwise, take the one with more storage.

Or just order a custom build from Apple. Any special reason not to do so?

Ender17

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
RAM, you can add storage via external hard drives or cloud based services, even a SD card

can't add RAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.