Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple06

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Hi,

I need a little help figuring out what's wrong or changed in my system to cause the booting from under 10s to almost a minute with a SSD Mac Mini.

* i7 2.3 mini with 250GB EVO (upper bay via OWC kit, TRIM-enabled OS) and 1TB apple HDD (lower bay, for data)
* 16GB RAM Crucial
* Mavericks 10.9.5 up-to-date
* Firmware restoration ran on the EVO SSD.

I got the late 2012 mini back in October and added the 250GB EVO SSD and 16GB RAM in November with a clean install of Mavericks and updated. Everything was working fine and speedy until last week when I didn't shutdown the system for about 7 days.

I normally don't see the spinning wheel on boot but now after the Apple logo (about 8s), I'm seeing the spinning wheel for about 40-50s before the logon window appears.

Here's what I've tried so far with no success....

1) Figure it might be something to do with the recent NTP patch.. so I decided to try a clean install of Mavericks... result, still the same.

2) Tried SMC, NVRAM reset, still the same even with fresh install.

3) Time Machine restore to about 8 days earlier and result still the same... so I'm starting to think it's not OS or software related.

4) Booted in recovery and did Repair disk and permissions.. result, still the same.

5) Thinking it may be the RAM, so I put in the original 4GB, and still the same.

6) rebuild the kextcache

7) Tried Safe Mode then back to normal mode...

All the above resulted an unsuccessful attempt at regaining the fast boot SSD is known for...

Does anyone know what else I could try or suggest other possible solutions? I've looked in the Console logs but I'm not too familiar with that or what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

kaibob

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona
I had a similar problem and tried just about everything. I finally resolved it after checking the console logs.

Here's what I did:

* Reboot the computer and note the time.

* Open the console and check "all messages" to see if there are repeated error messages at the time you rebooted the computer.

* It may help to filter the messages by searching on the word, fail or failure.

In my case, there were repeated USB error messages, and I eventually traced this to an external DVD drive. I unplugged the DVD drive and my boot time returned to normal.

To a certain extent, fixing boot-time issues is trial and error. Good luck!

Last edited:

Apple06

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
I had a similar problem and tried just about everything. I finally resolved it after checking the console logs.

Here's what I did:

* Reboot the computer and note the time.

* Open the console and check "all messages" to see if there are repeated error messages at the time you rebooted the computer.

* It may help to filter the messages by searching on the word, fail or failure.

In my case, there were repeated USB error messages, and I eventually traced this to an external DVD drive. I unplugged the DVD drive and my boot time returned to normal.

To a certain extent, fixing boot-time issues is trial and error. Good luck!

These are the "fail" messages in the log within the 1min span from BOOTTIME. I'm not familiar with these yet... if anyone have suggestions, let me know.. in the meantime I'll google around...

2014-12-29 7:01:35.000 PM kernel[0]: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR: smcReadData8 failed for key LsNM (kSMCKeyNotFound)
2014-12-29 7:01:35.000 PM kernel[0]: SMC::smcGetLightshowVers ERROR: smcReadKey LsNM failed (kSMCKeyNotFound)
2014-12-29 7:01:35.000 PM kernel[0]: SMC::smcPublishLightshowVersion ERROR: smcGetLightshowVers failed (kSMCKeyNotFound)
2014-12-29 7:01:35.000 PM kernel[0]: SMC::smcInitHelper ERROR: smcPublishLightshowVersion failed (kSMCKeyNotFound)
2014-12-29 7:01:35.565 PM UserEventAgent[11]: Failed to copy info dictionary for bundle /System/Library/UserEventPlugins/alfUIplugin.plugin
2014-12-29 7:01:37.000 PM kernel[0]: CoreStorageFamily::unlockVEKs() failed to unwrap the vek, status = e00002bc
2014-12-29 7:01:40.491 PM apsd[113]: CGSLookupServerRootPort: Failed to look up the port for "com.apple.windowserver.active" (1102)
2014-12-29 7:01:50.550 PM apsd[113]: CGSLookupServerRootPort: Failed to look up the port for "com.apple.windowserver.active" (1102)
2014-12-29 7:02:15.683 PM UserEventAgent[163]: Failed to copy info dictionary for bundle /System/Library/UserEventPlugins/alfUIplugin.plugin
2014-12-29 7:02:24.446 PM distnoted[211]: assertion failed: 13F34: liblaunch.dylib + 25164 [some_id]: 0x25
2014-12-29 7:02:25.289 PM UserEventAgent[210]: Failed to copy info dictionary for bundle /System/Library/UserEventPlugins/alfUIplugin.plugin
2014-12-29 7:02:26.073 PM ubd[257]: [ERROR] [0.024s] main mme_auth.c:196 copy_mme_bag() copyPreferredMobileMeName failed
2014-12-29 7:02:26.098 PM ubd[257]: [ERROR] [0.049s] main mme_auth.c:196 copy_mme_bag() copyPreferredMobileMeName failed
2014-12-29 7:02:27.140 PM accountsd[302]: assertion failed: 13F34: liblaunch.dylib + 25164 [some_id]: 0x25
2014-12-29 7:02:27.226 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[288]: Error: Failed to add value to tree: Invalid node at index: 486.
2014-12-29 7:02:27.767 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[288]: main Failed to composit image for binding VariantBinding [0x1d3] flags: 0x8 binding: FileInfoBinding [0x2d3] - extension: lpdf, UTI: com.apple.localized-pdf-bundle, fileType: ????.
2014-12-29 7:02:28.603 PM secd[310]: SecErrorGetOSStatus unknown error domain: com.apple.security.sos.error for error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.security.sos.error error 2 - Public Key not available - failed to register before call)
2014-12-29 7:02:28.603 PM secd[310]: securityd_xpc_dictionary_handler WiFiKeychainProx[263] DeviceInCircle The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.security.sos.error error 2 - Public Key not available - failed to register before call)
2014-12-29 7:02:39.747 PM com.apple.IconServicesAgent[288]: main Failed to composit image for binding VariantBinding [0x14f] flags: 0x8 binding: FileInfoBinding [0x24f] - extension: caf, UTI: com.apple.coreaudio-format, fileType: ????.

kaibob

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona
I looked through the console log and didn't see anything that would cause the boot delay, although I certainly am not an expert on this. Perhaps another forum member will see something. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Apple06

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for the direction... I'm learning on the go.. my googling also returned results that says most are minor and can be ignored.. so I still don't know what's going on..

Maybe I'll test hardware somehow.. if anyone can suggest diagnostic tools to use, I would be appreciated..

Apple06

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012

Thanks... ran the basic and extended test and found no issues.

I'm running out of ideas...

The only big gap I see is this one but can't find anything on it to correct it..

2014-12-29 7:01:40.491 PM apsd[113]: CGSLookupServerRootPort: Failed to look up the port for "com.apple.windowserver.active" (1102)
2014-12-29 7:01:50.550 PM apsd[113]: CGSLookupServerRootPort: Failed to look up the port for "com.apple.windowserver.active" (1102)

Apple06

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Check startup disk selection in system pref's. NVRAM reset can effect this setting.

Yes that was the first thing I did after the reset, thank you for the reminder. ;)

I just don't understand why even after a fresh clean install it has the same spinning wheel behavior where as back in November it didn't.

Checked verbose mode start up and didn't see anything out of the ordinary... just a long pause before the login screen shows up.

Other than the boot up slowness, the system runs fine. Weird.

Last edited:

pianoman88

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Mine 2012 server did the same thing ...

… after I replaced the boot hard drive with a Samsung 840 Pro. Then one day boot time decreased to a few seconds. I was never able to determine the cause of the problem (or the reason for the change).

Apple06

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
… after I replaced the boot hard drive with a Samsung 840 Pro. Then one day boot time decreased to a few seconds. I was never able to determine the cause of the problem (or the reason for the change).

??? Does it mean I should change my EVO to a pro or the problem fixes itself over time?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Were not there reports (mostly over in MacBook forum) about firmware problems with Samsung drives?

I seem to recall reading that some Samsung SSDs (can't recall if they were the EVO or the PRO models) had something amiss (firmware or hardware) that would cause the CPU of the Mac to "go into overdrive", and in some cases overheat the computer.

I believe Samsung has issued a firmware updater (including a Mac version).

I don't own a Samsung SSD, have no direct experience, only reporting what I read elsewhere.

Suggestion:
If NOTHING you do seems to help, I'd suggest you try an SSD -OTHER THAN- a Samsung, and see what results you get.

You might even try booting and running the second drive -externally- for a while (mounted in either a USB3 enclosure or USB3/SATA dock)...

Apple06

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Were not there reports (mostly over in MacBook forum) about firmware problems with Samsung drives?

I seem to recall reading that some Samsung SSDs (can't recall if they were the EVO or the PRO models) had something amiss (firmware or hardware) that would cause the CPU of the Mac to "go into overdrive", and in some cases overheat the computer.

I believe Samsung has issued a firmware updater (including a Mac version).

I don't own a Samsung SSD, have no direct experience, only reporting what I read elsewhere.

Suggestion:
If NOTHING you do seems to help, I'd suggest you try an SSD -OTHER THAN- a Samsung, and see what results you get.

You might even try booting and running the second drive -externally- for a while (mounted in either a USB3 enclosure or USB3/SATA dock)...

Unfortunately I don't have access to another SSD and I don't really want to open up my Mini again :eek:. I am aware of the issue this drive had and have done the update since the release of the new firmware.

So, the SSD itself didn't get slower?
(Benchmark results?)
Only the boot-process itself is "slow" now?

I don't have a benchmark before and an after.. but here's one from Blackmagic Speed test with 1GB size test... (sorry I don't know which tool to use since I rarely run benchmarks...)

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    739.6 KB · Views: 305

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The benchmark speeds above look to be excellent.

I wonder if something else is causing the slow boot problems.

You've probably already done this, but have you opened the Startup Disk preference pane and "re-touched" your settings?

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Have you got any add-ons like dropbox etc ? Could be they are communicating with external servers and causing a delay/hang ?

Apple06

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
The benchmark speeds above look to be excellent.

I wonder if something else is causing the slow boot problems.

You've probably already done this, but have you opened the Startup Disk preference pane and "re-touched" your settings?

I think I've found the "issue" by accident.. I'm not sure why but when I left a SD card in the slot it boots fast under 10s.. when I removed it it's slow again. Anyway I can turn off the SD card check or something or whatever is trying to do causing the delay?

Feels like the old days of floppy disk checks on boot up.

EDIT: While the boot up is spinning... as soon as I plugin a SD card, it shows the login screen instantly... anyone know what is causing this behaviour? Never had this when I first got the Mini but now it seems like I have to leave a SD card in place... *sigh*

EDIT2: So I think it relates to the kernel: pci pause SDXC message in the Console. anyone know a fix for this other than leaving in an SDCard? It doesn't show up when a card is in the slot.

Have you got any add-ons like dropbox etc ? Could be they are communicating with external servers and causing a delay/hang ?

No, I don't have anything like that.

Last edited:

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
I think I've found the "issue" by accident.. I'm not sure why but when I left a SD card in the slot it boots fast under 10s.. when I removed it it's slow again. Anyway I can turn off the SD card check or something or whatever is trying to do causing the delay?

Feels like the old days of floppy disk checks on boot up.

EDIT: While the boot up is spinning... as soon as I plugin a SD card, it shows the login screen instantly... anyone know what is causing this behaviour? Never had this when I first got the Mini but now it seems like I have to leave a SD card in place... *sigh*

EDIT2: So I think it relates to the kernel: pci pause SDXC message in the Console. anyone know a fix for this other than leaving in an SDCard? It doesn't show up when a card is in the slot.

No, I don't have anything like that.

2 answers from this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6002541?tstart=0

gcamp
Jun 24, 2014 10:34 AM
Re: Slow start MacBookPro Retina (Mid 2012)
in response to Juland
I *finally* fixed this. On my Mac mini it was so bad that booting was impossible.

Simply deleting /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSDXC.kext/ fixes it. My guess is that SD card **** don't work any more, but don't care what so ever.

TH1AG0
Jul 27, 2014 8:30 PM
in response to zhuolin
I also had this problem with my MacBook Pro with Retina display Late 2012 with Mavericks 10.9.4.
Im my case, the problem began right after I removed one of my Admin Users from my Mac.
I tried to restart with Shift + V, and I got the same "pci pause: SDXC" or something like that.
The startup was frozen in that line for about 5 minutes, and then it started.
Then, I tried to reset the PRAM, to verify the disk, to repair permissions, but nothing solved the problem.

The last thing I tried was to backup everything with TimeMachine and reinstall the system, then, boom! It worked!

Tip: backup, and reinstall the system (without deleting your users or files).

Apple06

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
2 answers from this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6002541?tstart=0

gcamp
Jun 24, 2014 10:34 AM
in response to Juland
I *finally* fixed this. On my Mac mini it was so bad that booting was impossible.

Simply deleting /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSDXC.kext/ fixes it. My guess is that SD card **** don't work any more, but don't care what so ever.

TH1AG0
Jul 27, 2014 8:30 PM
in response to zhuolin
I also had this problem with my MacBook Pro with Retina display Late 2012 with Mavericks 10.9.4.
Im my case, the problem began right after I removed one of my Admin Users from my Mac.
I tried to restart with Shift + V, and I got the same "pci pause: SDXC" or something like that.
The startup was frozen in that line for about 5 minutes, and then it started.
Then, I tried to reset the PRAM, to verify the disk, to repair permissions, but nothing solved the problem.

The last thing I tried was to backup everything with TimeMachine and reinstall the system, then, boom! It worked!

Tip: backup, and reinstall the system (without deleting your users or files).

Yea.. I tried the first solution.. although it works but I would still like to use the SDXC reader to unload my images.

Option two didn't work for me since I tried a clean install several times and was still the same. For now I'll leave in a card... not the best option but at least it keeps the dust out of the slot.. lol :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.