Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Oil company Chevron has plans to expand its use of Apple Pay to gas pumps in the new year, according to a tweet the company sent out to a customer earlier today. In the message, Chevron says that it is working with Apple to bring Apple Pay payment solutions to pumps by early 2015.
@SingAsana We are working alongside Apple to develop solutions to integrate with Apple Pay at the pump by early 2015. - Chevron (@Chevron) December 29, 2014
Chevron is an early Apple Pay partner, and was listed as one of Apple's supporters when the service first launched on October 20. Apple Pay is accepted at Chevron and Texaco gas stations at the current time, but it can only be used at the in-store cash register, which is considerably less convenient than a pump-side payment option.

applepaytouchid.jpg
Support for Apple Pay at the pump has been in the works at Chevron for several months, with a Chevron spokesperson stating that the company was working with Apple on developing pump-side options in mid-October. As the only gas stations accepting Apple Pay, Chevron and Texaco gas stations may be able to get a leg up on the competition by luring iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users looking for a more convenient way to pay for gas purchases.

Apple Pay is still in its infancy, but early numbers suggest Apple's payments service has the potential to be the first widely adopted mobile payments option. During the month of November, Apple was responsible for 1 percent of digital payment dollars, with 60 percent of Apple Pay customers using the service on multiple days throughout the month. Apple Pay is only in the United States at the time being, but Apple has plans to expand to multiple other countries in 2015.

Update 2:00 PM PT: Chevron has clarified that a potential timeline for the rollout of Apple Pay at the pump remains unclear, with no official early 2015 launch planned. The company also plans to continue to roll out in-store Apple Pay support to 3,000 stores in 2015.

Article Link: Chevron to Integrate Apple Pay at Gasoline Pumps in Early 2015

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Hmmm, I don't know about the US, but here in Germany gas stations basically only earn the serious money on their shop items, not the fuel they sell.
So if those spontaneous purchases of magazines/etc (granted, not the late-night purchases where people deliberately drive to a gas station) are out of the equation, this might hurt their bottomline, no?

Fuel isn't something you buy because it looks nice, you need it.
Sure, this gives Chevron an edge over other gas stations, just thinking aloud here...

Glassed Silver:mac

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
Hmmm, I don't know about the US, but here in Germany gas stations basically only earn the serious money on their shop items, not the fuel they sell.
So if those spontaneous purchases of magazines/etc (granted, not the late-night purchases where people deliberately drive to a gas station) are out of the equation, this might hurt their bottomline, no?

Sure, this gives Chevron an edge over other gas stations, just thinking aloud here...

You are not paying at the pump with a debit/credit card anyway?
In Austria we do, thought it was the same with you guys.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
I'll buy gas there just for that reason lol. C'mon Costcoooooooo I wanna save money in styles.:cool:

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Until that first explosion at the pump... That would be interesting. I don't know if it's rumor or not... Those vapors seem pretty dangerous to me!

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Technically 90% of gas stations here in Canada accept Apple Pay, we just need these bastard banks to support Apple Pay.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Is it going to be a front page news story every time a vendor decides to accept Apple pay?

that is going to get boring really fast...it already is.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
While not nationwide, every Wawa I have been to in my area supports apple pay both inside and at the pump.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Shhesh Chevron and Texaco (though there are no more Texaco's around) were waaaay more expensive than even Shell and Exxon... I don't see supporting Apple Pay helping them get more customers (in my area).

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This will be really cool...funny thing is, I went to get gas the other day and forgot my wallet. This will be real handy in the future.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009

yeah a lot of gas stations have service departments or mini markets because they don't make much money on gasoline

in california here we this law that says gas stations need to provide free air and water to customers. gas stations don't consider you a customer unless you bought 8 gallons of gas.

if i go to the gas stations mini market and purchase soda and a bag of chips, they won't give me free air. because i did not buy gas. they don't undestand that the convince store has a higher profit margin then gasoline.

i heard they only make a small amount on gas purchases, when you deduct the merchant fee.

but if you buy a food item, then they are looking at 10 to 40 percent markup.

or maybe even has high as 150-200 % on self service soda ( post mix )

with gas prices fluctuating every day , your common gas station takes up tp 3 price surveys each day , how do they even work out what their cost is??? maybe the company just says okay you sold 50,000 gallons this month, here is your check for $5000?

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Able to use in Singapore

I was able to use Apple Pay in Singapore. Just have to look for Visa Passwave and the Amex whatever NFCs.

Sadly, the local NETS NFC system couldn't use Apple Pay - I would have spent a lot more money... :)

[caveat: American bank based credit cards obviously]

CPrider09

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2009
Meijer gas stations also support ApplePay at the pump. It's where I've been using to fill up since ApplePay went live. Usually where ever there's a Meijer grocery store, there's a Meijer gas station.

I'm still very happy with Meijer and their support of ApplePay, even though they're part of the CurrentC group. Yay Midwest forward thinking! ;)

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Is it going to be a front page news story every time a vendor decides to accept Apple pay?

that is going to get boring really fast...it already is.

I hope it is, following what is happening with Apple Pay isn't very easy and MacRumors coverage of it has helped me keep up to date on what has changed since the launch.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is there something special merchants have to do to support Pay? Or is Chevron using the term Pay in place of NFC?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Won't work in Jersey

We don't pump our gas in Jersey... we pump our fists :D

But seriously, I doubt people would want to give their phone to the pump attendant to pay.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
AMPM and quickmart next!!!!!!??? :D

am/pm in California stopped taking visa master card years ago. it had to have been at least 15 years ago or maybe 25. they only take debit/atm now. and they charge you 30 cents on average to use your debit card.

does apple pay even support debit cards?

metfuel

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2002
We don't pump our gas in Jersey... we pump our fists :D

But seriously, I doubt people would want to give their phone to the pump attendant to pay.

I assume the attendant would have an nfc device to carry with them, most likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.